eMachines W3502 (80 GB, Intel Celeron D, 3.2 GHz, 512 MB) Desktop - W3502

Affordable and Can be Upgraded to be a very fast PC

Oct 11, 2006 (Updated Nov 13, 2006)

• Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:3.2ghz, video card, easily removeable cover, can hold 3.8ghz chip, Emachines online tech chat

Cons:bundled software, on-board video card driver faulty, 512mb RAM

The Bottom Line: Computer is stable, fast, solid, and reliable. Can be upgraded with lots of RAM and a fast CPU.

This computer is an affordable, but upgradeable, PC that may be purchased from Wal-Mart ($348) or other mass retailers. I found a new one in the box on Ebay and my bid brought me to about $301 and about $340 after shipping (saving $8 plus the shipping cost of Wal-Mart online or the sales tax if I were to have purchased it from my local Wal-Mart). You can find a lot of sellers on Ebay with brand-new in-the-box models to be bid on or sold below retail with the buy-it-now option. I bet you can find it for under $300 on EBAY.

The box is silver and white with blue power lights. There are two large silver screws on the right of the back of the box that allow you to remove the cover without a screwdriver, if you wish. The large screws are made to accomodate a phillips and flathead screwdriver.

Right out of the box it has 3.2ghz Celeron D processor. This is a very fast processor for most users. 512mb RAM is slow for me, but probably sufficiently quick enough for most people.

1. I immediately upgraded the RAM to 2gb to max out the memory capabilities. You can get deals on RAM via Ebay or from online retailers. It takes 184-pin PC3200 SDRAM. "High density" RAM will not work in this machine. XP yields a RAM rating of 1.85gb of RAM because the onboard video card consumes a proportion of the RAM. This vastly increases the performance of a computer, that is, increasing the RAM.

2. I used KILL DISK to wipe out the hard drive and then installed Windows XP Professional with SP2. This fresh install gets rid of all the useless bundled software (AOL, etc.) and allows me to optimize how I want the OS to run (Google XP Tweaks and there are websites with information on how to tweak XP to make it run quicker). I also installed Office 2003, spyware blaster, ad-aware, symantec corporate antivirus (free from my university), and mozilla firefox.

3. PRETTY IMPORTANT. Make sure to install the latest drivers for the on-board Radeon video card. The drivers it ships with (even using the original XP Home edition it ships with) are faulty.

Also, though not a problem for my model, if you buy one that was manufactured earlier, it may need the latest BIOS (available from Emachines' website). If you need help with this, Emachines has this online tech chat that I used to chat with a technician through an Instant Messenger and they are able to send you links to download drivers and they are also able to remotely work on your computer via a high-speed connection (I have DSL 1.5mbps).

4. The machine is stable and fast and the motherboard is built by Intel. Whatever Emachines reputation was in the past, I think they have vastly improved--this is my second good experience with an Emachines computer.

This is a great machine and when the transition to VISTA from XP starts, this model will not let you down.

FUTURE UPGRADES:

1. Going to install separate video card because the onboard video card uses some of the random access memory (RAM). This will improve speed and performance.

2. Planning on upgrading the DVD-ROM/CDRW to a DVDRW/CDRW which is available, currently, from Emachines for about $129. Will wait and see if any pop up on Ebay in the near future.

3. Biggie: Replace Celeron 'D' 3.2ghz CPU with a 3.8ghz Pentium 4 CPU--some online retailers sell them for less than $200 currently (Oct. 2006).

***UPDATES
A. In my case of upgrading to XP SP2 Professional I needed access to the on-board ATI Radeon XPress 200 driver. If you ever do a fresh install and are not using the Emachines Recovery CD (w/XP Home Edition) and you need the driver, it can be found here from ATI:

Additionally, XP did not get the right driver for the on-board sound card, and that can be found at Intel's website, here:

B. I tried installing a separate video card, but to no avail. Not sure if it is a faulty video card unit, or a faulty model to begin with. The model was purchased off Ebay, a ATI Radeon 9200se 128mb "Game Buster" model. Installing a video card on this model is somewhat tricky.

Here are the steps involved:

1. Before installing new video card a) restart in safe mode (press F8 in during boot), b) start OS in safe mode, c) once logged in via Safe Mode go to control panel---->system----->hardware tab----->device manager---->click on + in front of display adapter until it shows a negative (-) sign, d) right click on on-board video in display section and make sure it says "disabled", e) click "Ok" through the warning screen, f) shut down computer

2. Physically install PCI video card or PCI-E video card in available slot (assuming you have not already used yours)

3. **Do not attach cable to new video card yet. Start up computer and boot into the BIOS by hitting F2 key when the emachines logo is visible. Once in BIOS move cursor to the advanced tab and scroll down to "Video Configuration", hit enter key, and set the "Default Primary Video Adapter" to PCI ext. Press F10, save changes, and exit. Shutdown computer

4. Now you can attach monitor cable to the new video card. Once in Windows, install the drivers for the new PCI video card.

****11/13/2006 update

Ok, I just did the CPU upgrade to the Pentium 4 3.8ghz 570J (I purchased the chip from www.compumusic.com OEM for $191.51--I'm not advertising, just telling you where I found the best price from a relatively reputable place...always check resellerratings.com when you buy things like this online and watch out for scam companies).

This thing smokes now (it's incredibly fast). To replace CPU, it is very simple. Unplug machine, remove side panel, remove four screws on the fan/heatsink, unplug fan from motherboard. Pull lever (with care) on bottom of CPU casing out and to the right. Carefully remove 3.2ghz Celeron D chip (sell it on EBAY or give it to someone). With computer box on its side, spread thermal compound on new Pentium 4 chip (not on the side w/terminal connectors!!!, but on silver side w/chip information printed on it), place into CPU casing (lining up correctly). Door of CPU casing will compress chip into motherboard and then return the lever on the bottom. Reinstall fan (four screws) and plug back into motherboard. Make sure fan is working. Start it up and you will have to do one reboot. Enjoy your new extremely fast computer!

My W3502 Emachines has the following specs

Original: 3.2ghz Celeron D, 512mb RAM, Win XP Home

After upgrades: 3.8ghz Pentium 4, 2gb RAM, Win XP Pro.

Fast and solid now.

Internal Storage: CD-RW and DVD
Hard Drive (GB): Over 50

HP Stream 11 Intel Celeron 2GB RAM32GB SDD Laptop w/MS 365 & Tech Support

HP Stream 11 Intel Celeron 2GB RAM32GB SDD Laptop w/MS 365 & Tech Support

Streamlined for success. The HP Stream 11-d020nr laptop has all the tools you need, along with bonus features to keep you entertained.
QVC

acer Thin Client Intel Celeron 4GB DT.VHDAA.003

acer Thin Client Intel Celeron 4GB DT.VHDAA.003

Cache Memory 2 MB CPU Features 1017U processor (1.6GHz) Chipset Intel HM70 Express Memory Type DDR3 MAX Memory Capacity 8GB HDD Interface SATA Max HDD...
Newegg.com

Samsung - 11.6 HD Chromebook 2 Notebook Computer, Intel Celeron N2840 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 1

Samsung 11.6 HD Chromebook 2 Notebook Computer, Intel Celeron N2840 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, Chrome OS - Metallic Silver The Samsung Chromebook...
Adorama

HP Pavilion 14-c050nr Intel Celeron 847(1.1GHz) 14 4GB Memory 16GB

HP Pavilion 14-c050nr Intel Celeron 847(1.1GHz) 14 4GB Memory 16GB

CPU Type Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz Wide Screen Support Yes Part# D1A54UA#ABA Color HP Imprint finish in sparkling black Operating System Chrome OS Scre...

Asus Vivopc Vm40b Intel Celeron 1007u 1.5ghz/ 4gb Ddr3/ 500gb Hdd/ No Odd/

Asus Vivopc Vm40b Intel Celeron 1007u 1.5ghz/ 4gb Ddr3/ 500gb Hdd/ No Odd/

eWiz is your best friend! Product Info Payment Shipping Disclaimer Return Policy CA Recycling Fee PRODUCT INFO Asus VivoPC VM40B Intel Celeron 1007U 1...

HP F7W49UA#ABA Chromebook 14 Intel Celeron Dual-Core 2955U 1.40GHz - 4GB RAM  16GB SSD  14.0 HD WLED  No Optical  802.11a/b/g/n  Bluetooth  Webcam  4-cell (51WH

HP F7W49UA#ABA Chromebook 14 Intel Celeron Dual-Core 2955U 1.40GHz - 4GB RAM 16GB SSD 14.0 HD WLED No Optical 8...

Intel Celeron Dual-Core 2955U 1.40GHz 4GB DDR3L 16GB M.2 14.0 HD WLED No Optical Webcam Intel HD Graphics 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 Bluetooth Chrome ...
MacMall
Acer C720P-2600 11.6 Intel Celeron 295 1.4GHz 2GB RAM 32GB Solid-State Drive Touchscreen Chromebook

Acer extends its industry-leading Chromebook line by adding touch! Packing up to 7.5 hours of battery life the C720P-2600 Acer 11.6 Chromebook starts ...

HP Chromebook 14-q070nr - Intel Celeron 2955U(1.4GHz) 14 4GB Memory

HP Chromebook 14-q070nr - Intel Celeron 2955U(1.4GHz) 14 4GB Memory

CPU Type Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4GHz Wide Screen Support Yes Part# F0H05UA#ABA Color Snow white Operating System Chrome OS Screen 14 Memory Size 4GB DD...

Acer Chromebox Cxi-2gkm Intel Celeron Z957u 1.4ghz/ 2gb Ddr3/ 16gb Ssd/ No

Acer Chromebox Cxi-2gkm Intel Celeron Z957u 1.4ghz/ 2gb Ddr3/ 16gb Ssd/ No

eWiz is your best friend! Product Info Payment Shipping Disclaimer Return Policy CA Recycling Fee PRODUCT INFO New Acer Chromebox CXI-2GKM Intel Celer...

Acer C710-2833 Intel Celeron 847(1.1GHz) 11.6 2GB Memory 16GB SSD

Acer C710-2833 Intel Celeron 847(1.1GHz) 11.6 2GB Memory 16GB SSD

CPU Type Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz Wide Screen Support Yes Part# NU.SH7AA.011 Color Iron Gray Operating System Chrome OS Screen 11.6 Memory Size 2GB DD...