Emory University

Emory University: This Mom Is Happy With The Choice

Sep 15, 2000 (Updated May 1, 2003)

Pros:Highly ranked; beautiful campus and location; excellent education and social life

Cons:None so far!

The Bottom Line: Great school, great location, programs, campus and weather.

Knowing my daughter wanted to be a doctor we looked for schools that had excellent science programs. Emory does and it also has a medical school. In addition the Center for Disease Control is housed in Atlanta which is a wonderful place for an internship.

We found out about Emory during a tour at Tufts when a friend I bumped into told me her family had just came back from Emory and they loved it. As it turns out her son did go to Emory also.

Emory is ranked #18 in the country according to U.S. News and World Reports with a little under 6,000 students. That is not a large campus, but it is not as small as the ones she was discounting which had fewer students than her high school such as Colgate and Hamilton.

The first time I saw the school was when my husband and I took her there with a U-Haul behind us in August of her first year. She had visited it along with other school alone. It has a very, beautiful campus. I was told that, but I didn’t expect to find it so beautiful. I was also told to be prepared for the construction that is always going on and you will find cranes around, but they never bothered me. I see it as a sign of growth and a positive statement.

Emory University has been given some of the largest donations in the country from, along with others, the Coca-Cola Company, which is housed in Atlanta. Evidence of the money this school has is reflected in the new buildings.

The buildings, for the most part are not super modern, which I expected to see. I was glad I didn’t see that. In fact, most of the buildings look different from each other; some are somewhat modern, some Victorian looking, some concrete, some brick.

I must say the weather is perfect. It is hard to be depressed in Atlanta when the sun shines every day. I say this because it was such a contrast to Philadelphia where the sun rarely shines, in my experience!

Housing is guaranteed for the first two years. The school says it will guarantee a dorm room in the senior year also. As a sophomore your child will get a number and be in a lottery. Most students do move off campus in their junior year so if, for some reason, your child wants to stay on campus, I would expect there would be a dorm room available, but they would not get first choice.

My daughter's dorm was a mix of first year students and upper classpeople, which concerned me at first. When I checked into it, however, I realized that there were more first year students and they were concentrated together not spread out in the building. The dorm rooms are a decent size; they certainly can compete with those at other schools.

As I said, Emory is not in the heart of the city. There is an inadequate, in my opinion; transit system called MARTA, which does not appear to run on a particular schedule. Your child does not need a car, though, in spite of her telling you she does. It costs $300 per year to keep it on campus. She pays the cost of the car just in case you are wondering.

Off campus housing is difficult to find. Emory’s rise has been meteoric and the city is having trouble keeping up with the number of students coming in. There are beautiful housing complexes off campus, not within walking distance (Now the car is needed or a good friend with one!) which actually are less expensive than living in the dorm. Students have to apply and there is often a waiting list for these apartments. There are also houses in the area whose owners rent out to students.

There are so many food plans I can’t begin to talk about them all. Suffice it to say that your child will never go hungry and the food options, in my opinion, are very nice. None of this information has been taken from Emory’s website, but please, for more thorough information go to www.emory.edu.

Emory’s Greek life is active and my daughter did join a sorority. She found it very easy to make friends even in her first few weeks. The school puts a great deal of effort in planning programs for first year students.

If your child has not made friends, joining a sorority or fraternity is definitely a positive experience.

Classes are small, for the most part. Many are labs, which would be small. The exception to very small classes might be an introductory English class for example. This would vary; obviously, depending on what classes your child is taking.

My sense is the professors are quite available. She often has told me that she was meeting with a professor and on more than one occasion had professors who held study groups on a weekly basis in which she participated.

As a parent go to your child’s first year parent weekend. We only went one year because my daughter was so busy with school work that she couldn’t give us as much time as we would have liked, but go anyway! The professors don’t hold back on work just because it is parent’s weekend so just be prepared for your child to have some work to do.

Atlanta is a wonderful city with a lot to do so you can keep busy if your child has a study group to attend, for example.

One critical piece of advice I got from my friend who is a guidance counselor in New York and whose advice we took. If your child wants to go to Emory University, inundate them with her name. Request their video; if your high school has representative come to speak, make sure your child goes and gives her name. If a local hotel has a representative from Emory come to speak attend that, even if you know all you need to know about the school and make sure you sign in.

I don’t think a child should choose a school unless they stay overnight and in this case it is another way for Emory to know your child’s name.

The estimated cost of attending Emory University, which includes tuition, room and board, books and other miscellaneous fee, is $32,000. Apply for all loans and grants possible, you never know.

In summary, Emory University gives a great education and a terrific social experience. The campus is a safe one with all the high tech emergency measures and lights in place. Although in a city it is just enough on the outskirts to be out of the way of the trouble that city schools might have.

Other college reviews you might be interested in reading are:

Bentley College

University of Massachusetts Medical School

University of Pennsylvania

Emory University Pennant

Emory University Pennant

Emory University Pennant consists of our full size Emory University pennant. This sports pennant measures 12x30 inches, is constructed of felt, and is...
Sports Flags and Pennants Co.

Emory University Officially Licensed Collegiate Wine Bottle Stopper Topper, Per.

Emory University Officially Licensed Collegiate Wine Bottle Stopper Topper, Perfect Gift for the Fan of Emory's Unofficial Mascot, Lord Dooley, the Lo...

Emory University - Solid Brass Bankers Lamp

Emory University - Solid Brass Bankers Lamp

Emory University - Solid Brass Bankers Lamp - Solid Brass Lamp , genuine serpintine green marble base, green glass shade. - Dimensions: 6 x 6 Base - 1...
Emory University Garden Flag

Emory University Garden Flag

The Emory University Garden Flag is a unique way to show your university spirit in your garden, entranceway, mailbox, porch, or windows. The universit...
Sports Flags and Pennants Co.

Framed Letter Wall Art - Emory University - 20W x 8H in. Multicolor - CLAL1B18EMOR

Shop for Framed Art and Posters from Hayneedle.com! It's been over 175 since years Emory became a part of Atlanta, but we think that you already have ...
Hayneedle

Emory University Eagles Cornhole Game Set Onyx Stained Stripe Version

Emory University Eagles Cornhole Game Set Onyx Stained Stripe Version

Proudly represent the Emory University while showing off your Eagles spirit with this officially licensed, regulation-sized cornhole game set! Your ga...

Skinit Protective Skin 15 Laptop/netbook/notebook Emory University Eagles

Skinit Protective Skin 15 Laptop/netbook/notebook Emory University Eagles

08.07.7043 Welcome to our store. We strive for excellence in customer service. Please contact us first if you are not satisfied with your purchase, be...

(38x48) Emory University Logo Wall Decal

(38x48) Emory University Logo Wall Decal

38x48 - Emory University Logo Wall Decal - Most orders ship in 3 to 4 business days.
Emory Eagles Youth University Arch Pullover Hoodie - Gunmetal

Emory Eagles Youth University Arch Pullover Hoodie - Gunmetal

365 Day No Hassle Returns! Your young fan can sport classic team style to match their timeless Emory Eagles spirit with this University Arch hoodie. I...
Fanatics