King's College (PA)

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Opinion from Current King's Student

Mar 24, 2000

Pros:academics and professors

Cons:too many to list.

I am currently a senior at King's College, and let's just say that if I had my choice to make over again - it wouldn't be this school.

In all fairness I should say that it does have positive aspects. The academics (overall) are strong due largely to the professors, but I think it's the students that inspire me to sit in class and question the future of our nation.

While some of the students are there to study, learn, and prepare themselves to be a productive part of society, others seem to only be there to chug kegs, play beer pong, or smoke marijuana (yes, parents it does happen there and just about everywhere.) I'm afraid that if you ask these students who (for example) Madeleine Albright is, you would receive a blank stare in response.

I often worry that some professors lower their standards in order to accommodate this rash of ignorance; which in turn makes me worry about the status of the school and how that will affect my potential to start my career.

I should mention that I am a female student, a Mass Communications major, and of Asian ethnicity. These qualities are important during this review for three reasons:
1. Most females (and males) look the same at King's College. They wear Abercrombie and Fitch or American Eagle clothing. The majority of the females weigh just over 100 pounds, have blonde hair cut in the same fashion, and wear those lovely jackets that look like marshmallows or life preservers (depending on where you're standing). The males wear baseball caps and other than that I honestly can't think of a distinguishing feature.

2. The Mass Communications Department is decent. Some professors are great, and others bring to mind the name, "Hitler." Please don't misunderstand; I don't use the Hitler analogy because he gives a lot of work (I don't mind a lot of work) but because he believes in tearing down students so he can rebuild them and, in turn, be their salvation. The department offers few if any (depending on which semester you look at) Television courses - despite what they would like you to believe. They do have ample computers, but their course selection needs MORE, and they need more professors who are practicing professionals.

3. I think that I am one of 10 (and I'm being generous here) Asian students on campus. The students of African-American and Hispanic ethnicity are slightly larger and smaller (respectively) in population. This wouldn't cause a problem, but for the small fact that I have listened to many very ignorant, racial-oriented comments from some students who believe that there is only one race that exists in this world, and wouldn't be able to tell you the location of six other countries in this world. Enough said.

The student activities are getting better. They offer a decent amount of clubs and groups to belong to, and the campus activities are somewhat enjoyable.

The cafeteria food is something you might want to avoid - unless you enjoy going to the hospital to get your stomach pumped.

The dorm rooms are tiny, but all do offer cable and two separate phone lines. (this is a new addition this year. Prior to this year, only the football players received rooms with cable). There's a computer lab in the lobby of each main dorm (except for the upperclass apartments), but you won't see one 2 weeks prior to finals. Most students wind up moving off-campus after 1-2 years, but you couldn't pay me to live in any of the apartments available in the lovely city (they call it a city, but the lack of activity makes me question it) of Wilkes-Barre.

Parking and Security are HORRIBLE. The parking lot is 1-2 blocks away, and not somewhere you want to walk to by yourself at night. They also charge way too much for parking considering the only security in the parking lot consists of placing a card in a slot to get the little bar to raise. Really anyone can walk onto the lot, break into your car, hot wire it, and drive it on out. So if you just bought your child a new car for graduation, tell them to leave it at home. There are no cameras and no card is needed to leave the parking lot. Security tries their best, but most are overweight and over the age of 50 with a Joe Friday complex.

Please don't ask me about financial aid. That will take another page to cover, and I just don't have it in me. I'm also broke, and this Internet time is expensive. I hope that gives you an idea.

I should mention that the school's president was newly elected last year, and is wonderful. I'm certain that he will work hard to change many of these problems I have listed.

And just to give you an example of the maturity of the students, recently a student "hacked" onto the school's website, and posted something about the Dean that I'm not allowed to type due to vulgar content, on the main page. It has since been erased.

You should also keep in mind that the city of Wilkes-Barre offers a bar on every corner, residents that can name every bar, and police officers who make writing parking tickets a vital part of their morning and afternoon schedule.

Oh and for the sake of your child's safety, please ask them to avoid the registrar's office unless it is absolutely necessary. Some of them are nice, but most are not. They also promoted one of the cafeteria workers to registrar counselor. This slows down the registration process immensely.

So if you want your child to attend a school with a pretty decent academic program, some very good professors, a homogeneous student body, plenty of beer to go around, and if their choice of clothing is Abercrombie and Fitch or American Eagle, then you have found your match.

Otherwise, keep shopping.

College Girls Pa

A pop-culture analysis of the American female college student evaluates the dual stereotype that portrays college girls as both socially inept intelle...
eCampus.com

knetbooks.com

King Pa (Barthelme)
eCampus.com

King Pa (Barthelme)
knetbooks.com

Associates Of King's College eBook

Associates Of King's College eBook

Buy Associates Of King's College by The Authors of Wikipedia and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today ...
Kobo eBooks

101-384025-24 Windshield Assembly Beechcraft King Air Pa101-384025-24

101-384025-24 Windshield Assembly Beechcraft King Air Pa101-384025-24

Beechcraft King Air Winshield Assembly PN: 101-384025-24 MFG PN: PA101-384025-24 Condition: New Comes with FAA8130-3 document