Northern Michigan University

A Good Little College With An Even Better Location

May 22, 2000

Pros:Little to no crime, quality education, great location

Cons:Not very racially mixed, Top 10% of HS class-0%

I attended Northern Michigan University beginning in 1987. My only regret is that I didnít complete my education there. Instead, I didnít return to college until 1989 when I started taking classes at the Community College of the Air Force.

NMU is a great little school located in Michiganís Upper Peninsula. Itís mainly an undergraduate institution with a liberal arts core. It began as a teacherís college, and along with criminal justice and nursing, thatís still the most popular major. There is also a selective masterís degree program.

Overview
It first opened in the late 1800ís as Northern State Normal School and became a university in 1963. The education departments include: Arts and Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, Human Services and Education, Business, Grad Studies, Nursing and Allied Health Sciences. It also has campus theater productions, the NMU Art Museum, and faculty and student recitals.

Partying
It was once voted Playboyís top party school for a good reason. I can recall an extreme amount of partying. I often wondered how some of the students who resided in the dorms ever made it to classes. There were dorm and fraternity parties most nights of the week. When I attended, there were also bars in town where the drinking age was lowered to 18, so that made it even more common.

Sports and Clubs
Sports are very a very important part of NMU. There is a huge Olympic training center in town. The school also has Menís Division I hockey, Division II basketball, cross-country, football, Nordic skiing and golf. Thereís womenís sports which are Division II basketball, cross-country, Nordic skiing, tennis, volleyball, soccer, swimming, and diving. They were once the NCAA National champions in ice hockey, football, and volleyball. There are also over 100 clubs and organizations.

Tuition
I attended on a Pell Grant, so I never had to worry about tuition. But I had a pleasant experience with everyone I had to deal with to apply for my grant. However, itís said to be the lowest tuition of any of the colleges in Northern Michigan.

Education Departments and Enrollment
The current enrollment is about 8,000 students. Unfortunately, the school does not have a very diverse ethnic population. Only 3% are minorities. Some of the most popular majors for each department are: College of Arts and Sciences-art and design, biology, English, history, math, political science. College of Behavioral Science, Human Services, Education: criminal justice, education, psychology. Walker Cisler School of Business: accounting, business education, management. College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences: Nursing. College of Technology and Applied Sciences: aviation, electronics.

Personal Experience
I attended the D.J. Jacobetti Skills Center and studied Cosmetology as well as taking some basic credits. The instructors were excellent and I was very happy with the classes. The school of cosmetology was very professional and I gained extensive knowledge. I still hold a Michigan license. I commuted part of the time, then moved to an apartment a block away. I spent a great deal of time in the dorms with friends and they were very well maintained. The Alumni association has been very good at tracking me down although the military has caused me to move many times. They are very nice and friendly when they call to inform me of events or to check my current status.

Location
Upper Michigan is beautiful. I even did an epinion on it. There is virtually no crime on campus or in the surrounding towns. Itís located in the U.P.ís largest city, Marquette. There are plenty of affordable apartments. There is a beautiful shore line within walking distance with beaches, lighthouses, and a beautiful state park on Lake Superior. If you travel out of the area, there is camping and lakes galore. They donít call it the Great Lakes State for nothing.

Northern Michigan University All-Star Rug per EA
Holland Northern Michigan University TV Cover BLACK/NORTHERN MICHIGAN TEAM COLORS 30 (FITS TV SIZES 30 TO 36)

Holland Northern Michigan University TV Cover Description: This Northern Michigan TV Cover by HBS is hand-made in the USA using the finest commercial...

Northern Michigan University 2 Piece Front Car Mats per EA
Holland Northern Michigan University Seat Cover NORTHERN MICHIGAN TEAM COLORS FITS 14 DIAMETER X 4 HEIGHT SEATS

Holland Northern Michigan University Seat Cover Description: This Northern Michigan bar stool cushion cover is hand-made in the USA by Covers by HBS,...
Fanmats Northern Michigan University Starter Mat 1.5 x 2.5

Fanmats Northern Michigan University Starter Mat 1.5 x 2.5

Decorate your home or office with area rugs by FANMATS. Made in U.S.A. from 100% nylon carpet and non-skid Duragon latex backing. Chromojet painted in...

FanMats Northern Michigan University Utility Mat
Holland Northern Michigan University TV Cover BLACK/NORTHERN MICHIGAN TEAM COLORS 40 (FITS TV SIZES 40 TO 46)

Epic Sports

Holland Northern Michigan University TV Cover BLACK/NORTHERN MICHIGAN TEAM COLORS 50 (FITS TV SIZES 50 TO 56)

Northern Michigan University Medallion Door Mat

Northern Michigan University Medallion Door Mat

Northern Michigan University Medallion Door Mat - Wow your guests with door mats by FANMATS. Adorned with your favorite team's logo these door mats ma...