Adcom GFA-7500 5 Channel Amplifier

2 consumer reviews

Powerful Amplifier

Sep 17, 2007

• Sound:

Pros:Solid, cool running, reliable, accurate, robust enough to be a subwoofer amp.

Cons:Large and heavy, but with this kind of power you have to accept that.

The Bottom Line: If you have speakers that need or can handle this much power, and you want accurate amplification with five channels in a single box, the 7500 should be a candidate.

I'd had several Adcom amps and all had worked flawlessly so when I needed additional channels the GFA-7500 fit my needs nicely. I bought it used a couple of years ago and it's been flawless. Unlike some earlier Adcom amps, it has a 12V trigger. Like most Adcoms it does not have individual channel gain control which is fine with me because gain controls tend to get flaky and noisy and eventually need to be bypassed or replaced.

Right now I'm using the 7500 to drive four 15" subwoofers. It has high damping and lots of headroom (into 4 ohms) so is great for this task. The 225 Watts per channel perfectly matches the Xmax of my subs and the headroom matches their Xmech.

This amp also draws only about 80VA (about 50 Watts) at idle so runs cooler than most bipolar amps and much cooler than FET amps. It isn't "musical" like an FET amp, but I prefer accuracy over "musical" so that the music can do it's own thing without help from distortion from an amplifier (even if that distortion does provide a "warm" or "musical" sound).

You won't see these every day on ebay, but they do command $400 to $600 as they should given the value they offer.

Adcom Gfa-555ms Stereo Amplifier

Adcom Gfa-555ms Stereo Amplifier

The Adcom GFA555 amplifier is a classic 2 channel transistor amplifier from the Adcom 555 series that boasts superior clarity compared to other transi...

Adcom Gfa-7705 Five Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier. Open Box. 6 Month Warr

Adcom GFA-7705 Five Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier. open box. 6 month warranty. 15% off retail price 200 watts x 5 channels into 8 ohms Power ri...