Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 1986 80-200 mm F/2.8 D AF ED A/M Lens Reviews

Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 1986 80-200 mm F/2.8 D AF ED A/M Lens

Great Lens at a Low Price

Aug 21, 2006

Pros:Take professional level photos at consumer prices.

Cons:No built-in tripod mount (not a big deal get a second party tripod mount)

The Bottom Line: An outstanding lens for the price (used) which takes professional level photos. Get it if you can find a good copy on ebay/KEH.com.

The Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 ED-D lens is one of 4 variants of the Nikon 80-200 lens series. The push-pull variant had an older Non-D version and the ED-D version which allows for 3D lighting information. There are 2 newer lenses that have 2 zoom rings. This review is on the ED-D lens which I recently bought through ebay.

The 80-200 lens has great optics. The pictures shot with this lens are excellent at 2.8 and outstanding if you stop it down to f4-8. Of course, at 2.8 your depth of field (DOF) is more shallow and you can blur out all foreground and background detail, thus only showing your audience the subject of your shot. As an example:

Note how the ballplayer is clearly in focus, but the ground just behind him is blurred? That is because I shot the lens 'wide open' which focuses just on my subject. As a corollary, even if I shot this picture with faster shutter speeds, the ball would probably not be in focus, as my DOF is shallow.

Another example where you can see the runner is nicely in focus, but the pitcher just behind him is blurred out. I want to show people the runner trying to steal second...

You'll read online that the lens's autofocus is slow. However, since I am an amateur the slower AF doesn't really bother me too much. This lens was a professional's lens for many years before I bought it off of him. Professionals will want a lens that is faster in AF. In relation to some of the other lenses that I've used (Sigma 18-200, Nikon 18-55, NIkon 55-200, Sigma 28-300), the AF speed is about the same. Here's a trick if you want to focus faster, if you have a second or two before you need to shoot pictures, focus on a distant object first. The lens's AF works faster focusing on a closer subject. If you do the reverse, the lens takes time to zoom out. Just something I've noticed on all my zoom lenses.

The lens is heavy. But if you carry it with a shoulder strap for the hard case that comes with the lens, it's not a big deal. I dont bring this lens with me everywhere I go, as it is a bit heavy. However, for special occassions like baseball games, it's a great lens to lug along.

The build quality of this lens is professional grade. Like I said earlier, this is a pro's lens. Its supposed to be built for rugged use. Of course, I baby all my equipment, and I've never dropped or even jarred any of photography equipment.

The lens does not have a tripod mount. I bought a Manfrotto 3420 for use with this lens if I ever need to put it on a tripod mount. I am uncertain if this was really needed. I may just try some fiberglass around the zoom to see if this will hold things steady. The Manfrotto does what it's supposed to...it keeps the 80-200 and my D50 rock steady on my tripod.

Overall, I'd say that this is a great lens. I got mine on ebay for $350. It's certainly worth the price if you want to take great pictures but dont want to pay professional lens prices.

Nikon 55-200mm F/4-5.6g Vr Telephoto Zoom Lens F/d40, D60, D80, D90 & D300 + Kit

Add us to favorite sellers | Sign up to our newsletter | View our feedback | Ask a question | Visit our ebay shop | About us Questions? 718 747 8992 F...

Nikon 55-200mm F/4-5.6g Vr Telephoto Zoom Lens F/d40 D60 D80 D90 & D300+ Dlx Kit

Nikon 55-200mm  f/4-5.6G AF-S Zoom-Nikkor lens

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S Zoom-Nikkor lens

f/4-5.6G AF-S Zoom-Nikkor lens 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S Zoom-Nikkor lens (35mm equivalent 82.5-300mm),Silent Wave Motor for high-speed autofocusing,desi...
Crutchfield

Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocu

Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocu

Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens (Vibration Reduction)
FumFie

LensCoat - Lens Cover for the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Realtree Hard

LensCoat Lens Cover for the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Realtree Hardwoods Snow (hws)
Adorama

Nikon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor, With Nikon 5-Year USA Warranty

Features: 3.6x Telephoto DX Zoom-Nikkor: Versatile and compact 3.6 Zoom-Nikkor brings the action to the photographer. Ideal for portraiture, family, ...
Beach Camera.com

BuyDig.com

Nikon 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens (2166)

Nikon 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens (2166)

Versatile and compact 3.6 Zoom-Nikkor brings the action to the photographer. Ideal for portraiture, family, sports, nature and wildlife. Approximates ...
Dell

Nikon 12-24mm f/4 G DX AF-S ED-IF Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 3 UV/ND8/CPL

Nikon 12-24mm f/4 G DX AF-S ED-IF Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 3 UV/ND8/CPL

Nikon 12-24mm f/4 G DX AF-S ED-IF Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 3 UV/ND8/CPL Filters + Accessory Kit
Newegg.com

Nikon 55-200mm Digital Telephoto Zoom Lens - f/ 4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor

Find camera interchangeable lenses at Target.com! The nikon 55-200mm is a lightweight and compact telephoto zoom lens that effectively captures group ...