Sony Handycam DCR-TRV11 Camcorder - Silver

May 25, 2001
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Battery Life:
  • Movie Quality:

Pros:Good video and sound quality, fairly steady footage

Cons:very expensive, low resolution pics comparatively, battery life

The Bottom Line: Again, this is not a bad camera. In fact it is pretty good; however, I have used better for a similar price.

I hate to always be the bearer of bad news as it seems as though I am lately with many of my electronics reviews; however, I hate to see people throwing their money away on fairly decent products when there are very good products out there for similar prices. This product falls into the category of fairly decent, at least for high-end digital camcorders. Of course, it is blessed with many nice and easily usable features; however it certainly lacks in other areas where it needs to be better.

First of all, as is my customary style, let me point out the quality aspects of this product from Sony. The video quality is very good with a resolution of 680K and I have noticed most videos to be clear, steady and visually stimulating. Furthermore, Sony has a picture stabilization system installed whereas the filmer can be a bit shaky; however, the picture will still generally come out to look at least more steady than the footage actually shot. Also, it is important to note that the sound quality is just short of flawless. From up to 35 feet the user can hear conversation easily. Even when filming long range scenes such as 100 feet away, the user will still hear some basic noise and may pick up parts of a conversation. This is all supported by a 12 bit/16 bit Digital Stereo System. The camera also has many interesting features, such as a 12X zoom capability and the ability to turn background noises on/off or to control their volume. Also, there is night vision capability with this unit which can be cool for first time users.

On the negative end of the spectrum, this camera has some things that it certainly needs to work on. The resolution for still pictures is not what I expected first of all and therefore the pics that I have shot recently have not come out as clearly as I would have liked and expected from a digital camera. Secondly, the standard battery life of this camera is not very good, as I have noticed the one I have used needing to be charged after only 1 hour of use. Furthermore, customer service on this product is hard to reach by phone as I have heard of wait times exceeding 20 minutes. Sony could simply fix this problem by hiring more attendants to field calls. I have also heard reports that those individuals who do field the calls have been very technical in nature and were unable to explain things effectively to the everyday user.

All in all, this is not a bad product; however, I have found that there are similar cameras available that work well and can be purchased for a similar or lower price such as the Canon Optura. Also, I have found a good deal of success with Nikon products in the past. I suggest that you try out one of these possibilities for your digital camera needs

SONY DCR-DVD650 Silver Hybrid Handycam Camcorder

SONY DCR-DVD650 Silver Hybrid Handycam Camcorder

Digital Zoom 2000X Memory Card Support Memory Stick PRO Duo Connectors USB, S-Video, AV Ports Dimensions (WxHxD) & Weight 2.25 x 3.63 x 5.13 (55 x 89 ...

Sony Handycam NEXVG20 Digital Camcorder - 3 - Touchscreen LCD - CMOS

Sony Handycam NEXVG20 Digital Camcorder - 3 - Touchscreen LCD - CMOS

Sony Handycam NEXVG20 Digital Camcorder - 3 - Touchscreen LCD - CMOS - Full HD

Sony HDR-CX12 High Definition Memory Stick PRO Duo Handycam Camcorder
Newegg.com

Sony HDR-CX360V High Definition Handycam Camcorder (Bordeaux)

Sony HDR-CX360V High Definition Handycam Camcorder (Bordeaux)

Memory Card Support SD/SDHC/SDXC Series HDR Recording Media Built-in Memory and Memory Card Video Recording 1080p

Sony HDR-TD20V High Definition Handycam 20.4 MP 3D Camcorder with 10x

Sony HDR-TD20V High Definition Handycam 20.4 MP 3D Camcorder with 10x

Digital Zoom 160X Memory Card Support SD Card Recording Media Internal Hard Disk and Memory Card
Newegg.com

Sony - HDR-PJ275 8GB Full HD Handycam Camcorder with Built-in Projector, - Bundle With Low

Sony HDR-PJ275 8GB Full HD Handycam Camcorder with Built-in Projector, - Bundle With Lowepro Carrying Case, 8GB Micro SDHC Memory Card, Cleaning Kit, ...
Adorama

Sony Hvl-le1 Handycam Camcorder Video Camera Flash Light Battery Powered

Sony Hvl-le1 Handycam Camcorder Video Camera Flash Light Battery Powered

Sony HVLLE1 LED Battery Video Light Home About Us Shipping Info Feedback Return Policy FAQ Contact Us Add our store to your favorites and receive excl...

Sony Corporation Sony Handycam FDR-AX100 - camcorder - Carl Zeiss - storage: flash card

Capture your vision in breathtaking 4K Ultra HD with the camcorder that fits in the palm of your hand. Sporting resolution thats four times clearer th...
Dell

$1998.00

Sony - HDR-PJ275 8GB Full HD Handycam Camcorder with Built-in Projector, - Bundle With Car

Sony HDR-PJ275 8GB Full HD Handycam Camcorder with Built-in Projector, - Bundle With Carrying Case, 16GB Micro SDHC Memory Card, Spare Battery, Tabble...
Adorama