Sony MDR-V300 Headphones

Sony MDR-V300 Headphones: "Now Hear This"

Jan 23, 2005

Pros:10' cord, cheap price

Cons:uncomfortable, cheap quality

The Bottom Line: Note to Epinions: GET RID OF THE BOTTOM LINE - IT'S NOT HELPFUL

My wife decided out-of-the-blue one day about three months ago to get a new puppy. She is a cute little Boston Terrier that gets into your heart faster than a child into a Christmas gift. She loves to play and is very active. Unfortunately for me, my wife has not taught her that chewing daddy’s headphones is bad yet. I have lost two expensive sets of headphones to our new baby in the last two months and decided to get a cheaper pair until she has been properly trained not to eat electronic equipment. So I went to Best Buy and dropped $20 on this set of phones.

The Sony MDR-V300 Dynamic Stereo Headphones

These phones are light and adjustable with ample padding to keep out most external noise. They are cheap and feel a little cheap but they are solid enough that they don’t squeak or creak when you move them around. The cord is about ten feet long which is long enough for most purposes, however I like to have about 18-20 feet so I can get up and move around if needed.

These headphones were purchased as a temporary replacement for my professional headphones in my home recording studio. I would recommend them for use with personal music players like pocket MP3 players or portable DVD players but as professional equipment they fall short of the mark.

Sound

The most important aspect of a set of headphones is sound reproduction quality. These phones are decent enough to listen to your favorite CDs but not really good enough to create such works of art. They produce rich bass and clear trebles but the mid range is somewhat “out of range” and the bass is really a little bit too rich. Mid range sounds a little muddy and the bass is too booming for purpose of adjusting the proper mix and EQ settings for recording.

I find that using these headphones to mix down my recordings is hit or miss with EQ settings and after listening to the recording on my home stereo I must go back and readjust the EQ, sometimes several times before getting it to sound right. EQ settings from 400Hz down are extremely hard to set properly with these headphones because the bass response is so prominent that you are hearing more than what is really there. That mixed with slightly muddy mid range response equals a very hard time setting EQ.

Comfort

The second most important aspect of headphones is how comfortable they are. I sometimes have a set of headphones on for more than five hours at a time when working on my recordings. The average person would probably not wear them for more than two or three hours if watching a movie or listening to music.

These headphones are very light but they are not comfortable at all for people who wear glasses. They press against your ear too hard and after fifteen minutes or so, they start to make the earpiece of your glasses press into the back of your ear causing pain that only get worse the longer you wear them.

Even without glasses they tend to become uncomfortable after an hour or so. I have not found any way to adjust them so that they do not cause my ears to hurt when wearing my glasses. They do adjust quite a bit but they still press against the ear too much. I think it may also be the size or shape of the cups that cause my discomfort. The cups that cover the ear are small and on me, they press hard against the cartilage at the top of my ear causing the earpiece of my glasses to press back into the cartilage. I can tolerate these headphones for about an hour then I have to give my ears a break.

Overall

The third most important aspect of headphones is price versus overall quality. These headphones do not pretend to be professional equipment nor are they priced as such. If you are looking for a cheap set of headphones that sound ok, these aren’t all that bad. However, there are better headphones out there in this price range. Even Sony themselves make other headphones (better than these) for about the same price.

Personally, if had it to do over I would have bought a different set of phones. These just aren’t the quality I am used to when dealing with sound equipment and I don’t believe they deserve the Sony name on them. I knew they were not going to be the quality of my professional headsets that my beloved puppy made meal of, but they are also not the quality that I am used to when dealing with the Sony name.

Conclusion

I would not recommend these headphones simply because you can get better sounding phones that are more comfortable for about the same price. It used to be that when you were shopping for headphones you could put them on and listen to them for a while to see if you like them or not. Now-a-days they wrap them in a hard plastic case and don’t let you open it until you get home.

Do yourself a favor and check out other options for cheap headphones and avoid these unless it’s all they have in stock and you really need them.

Thanks for reading,
Gr8ful :-)

Sony Mdr-7506 7520 7510 V600 -1/4-3.5mm Gold Plated Headphone Screw-on Adapter

Sony Mdr-7506 7520 7510 V600 -1/4-3.5mm Gold Plated Headphone Screw-on Adapter

Welcome to Bee's Sweet Deals! General Features: 1. One Gold Plated Screw-on Stereo headphone adapter 2. Colors: Gold and Green 3. 1/8 Female to 1/4 Ma...

Sony Mdr-v6 Studio Monitor Series Headphones

BRAND NEW Sony MDR-V6 High-Quality Black Stereo Headphones MDRV6 eBay Customer Service Hotline 10-5 EST: 845-352-8100 x110 or click Ask a Question abo...

Sony MDR-V55/WHI Headphones (White)

Sony MDR-V55/WHI Headphones (White)

Feel the rhythm with the MDR-V55 studio monitor DJ style headphones. Outfitted with 40mm closed type driver units, these headphones deliver just the r...
Beach Camera.com

Sony Mdr-v6 Studio Monitor Series Headphones

BRAND NEW Sony MDR-V6 High-Quality Black Stereo Headphones MDRV6 Product Description BRAND NEW Sony MDR-V6 High-Quality Black Stereo Headphones MDRV6 ...

Sony Mdr-g45lp Behind-the-neck Headphones

Sony Mdr-g45lp Behind-the-neck Headphones

Sony Mdr-g45lp, Mdr-g45lp Behind-the-neck Headphones, Upc: 0027242720756
Sony MDR-AS200/BLU Clip-On Headphones - Blue

Sony MDR-AS200/BLU Clip-On Headphones - Blue

Sony MDR AS200 - Active Sports - headphones - ear-bud - over-the-ear mount - blue

Sony - MDR-HW300K Wireless Hi-Fi Headphones, 2.4GHz, 40mm Drivers, 98' Range, Rechargeable

Sony MDR-HW300K Wireless Hi-Fi Headphones, 2.4GHz, 40mm Drivers, 98' Range, Rechargeable Battery The Sony MDR-HW300K Wireless Hi-Fi Headphones allows ...
Adorama

Sony MDR-1R MDR1R Premium Headphones + Cord Organizer for Headsets

Sony MDR-1R MDR1R Premium Headphones + Cord Organizer for Headsets

Sony MDR-1R MDR1R Premium Headphones + Cord Organizer for Headsets (Black) + Speaker and Headphone Splitter
Newegg.com

Sony MDR-HW300K Wireless Hi-Fi Headphones

Sony MDR-HW300K Wireless Hi-Fi Headphones

MDR-HW300K: Wireless Stereo Headphone System Features: 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band for stable wireless stereo 192kHz/24bit High quality HD sound format s...
BuyDig.com

Sony Mdr-v55 Dj Style Headphones Over Head Padded Ear Cup Headphone Foldable

Sony Mdr-v55 Dj Style Headphones Over Head Padded Ear Cup Headphone Foldable

Sony MDR-V55/WHI DJ style Headphones Home About Us Shipping Info Feedback Return Policy FAQ Contact Us Add our store to your favorites and receive exc...