Epson Stylus NX420 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Epson NX420 provides all-in-one small office equipment

Feb 2, 2012

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Inexpensive and very reliable

Cons:Needs more warning on low B&W ink

The Bottom Line: High quality prints in color and black and white. Great choice for a small office or home use.

I have gone through a number of printers in my small office. So far, the Epson NX420 has been my favorite. It provides everything a small office will need...wireless printing...copying...and best of all...EASE OF SETUP!

The printer sets up wsith a basic CD and installs in minutes. The wireless capability is a big plus if you have more than one computer and simply want to keep the printer/copier in a location convenient for everyone on the network. Have your modem security code access number handy when setting up, as you will need it to allow access for the Epson NX 420's software connection.

Wireless printing eliminates the need for a cable and works every bit as well. True ease of use. The only thing that might bother some people is the fact that if you turn on your computer without the printer being "on", you may get a window popping up saying that the printer driver can not be found. In that case, just close the window and ignore it. The computer will be able to read the printer instantly whenever you turn it on for copies or prints. At first, I though it was a glitch or malfunction, but it turned out to be no problem at all.

There is a separate ink cartridge for each print color(3) plus a b&w(1).   This allows you to inexpensively replace the B&W, which is the most heavily used for text printing. The B&W cartridge is only $14 and I have only replaced it once after using the printer regularly for 5 months and having gone through about 300 sheets paper for documents and a few color projects.

Being able to only replace the color needed saves on overall ink consumption.

The prints are great. Tack sharp and fairly quick processing with B&W (5-15 seconds per page)on basic prints. Photo quality work takes about a minute per page, so if you do a lot of photo printing, this machine might seem a bit slow.

You can easily switch paper sizes and the on-screen menu lets you fine-tune your preferences.

Print quality is up to you. Quick print (draft) quality used far less ink but prints in gray tones instead of dark black. That is perfect for email prints and other disposeable items.

The copy featire works just like any office copier and provides full 8x10 size copies in color or B&W.

You can even make copies and save them in JPEG and PDF format in order to send those copies in an email!

The machine has a built-in 2.5" preview screen, so you can even preview and edit photos from a camera with no need to turn on your computer. I've had very good results from this feature and the preview image allows very accurate editing.

I bought mine for $70 and have been very pleased. The prints have always rolled off and I've had ZERO paper jams. I tend to keep about twenty sheets loaded at all times.

One thing, when the B&W indicator says "low ink"...it means it! You can only print a few pages after that alert. There is a method to make B&W prints using the color cartridges only...but the quality really suffers. Not recommended. Have a spare B&W cartridge handy. The color cartridges seem to drop at a far slower rate. I have not had to replace them yet.

Great little printer.

Operating System: Windows

The Epson Stylus NX420 allows wireless printing from multiple Wi-Fi-enabled computers. Scan, print and archive important documents with this all-in-on...