Epson WorkForce 645 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Epson WorkForce 645 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Software, Ink Quality and Features, Better Than HP !

May 16, 2012 (Updated May 16, 2012)

Pros:Superb ink quality, no smear, individual color cartidges. Fast. Double sided printing. Great software. Durable.

Cons:Difficult to feed individual sheets. No legal scanning. Software install is slow.

The Bottom Line: Great price and low operating expense, reliable, excellent ink. Software is elegant and easy.

Background:
Print cartridges are expensive.
That is why I had stuck with my old HP Deskjet for exactly 10 years. It's cartridges held the most ink for the money...at least until the last 2 years as prices went up a lot.

I also have a 12 year old color laser printer which is has its good and bad days, but reliability and toner costs have kept me from getting a new one.

One thing drew me to Epson. I needed a new scanner that was Windows 7 compatible. Also I wanted an over-sized scanner. So on a whim I traded my Deskjet for an Epson WF-7520 at an great sale price for my small business use.
I loved it so much, I started looking for a smaller model that used the same cartridges for my wife and kids. The same cartridges simplifies my life as I can buy in bulk and don't have to worry which printer uses which cartridges.

So I bought the WF-645 for my wife and kids. I purchased this printer on sale for 50% off which made an excellent value.

What it is and how it works:
The 645 is much smaller than my WF-7520, yet the 645 also does automatic double-sided prints. (That is the main difference between the 545 and 645)
It takes most of the usual sizes, including letter, legal, envelopes. It feeds envelopes very reliably, which was a problem with some HP models I've used.
It also automatically scans letter and A4 sizes. It does not scan legal. You can feed one sheet or a small stack and it will scan both sides...automatically! Photos tend to misfeed, so it is best to lift the top to scan those. It does not scan slides or negatives.
It includes Adobe PDF file saving.
You can save scans to flash memory cards or flash drives directly in the printer or send them to a USB connected computer or over the network to ANY computer!
Photocopying in black and white or color is simple and allows reduction and enlargement. You use the sheet feeder for copying too.
I have not used the machine for Fax. But the manual says you can connect it to your answering machine and will automatically switch incoming calls to voice or fax.

The card slots accept the latest high density cards including SDHC which I use for photos. You can print straight from your camera's photo card or transfer from the printer slot over USB or the network (ethernet or wireless) to your computers.

Incidentally, network and USB connectors are on the left side.

Wireless function is easy to set up with a router. I had no trouble setting it up to share and the connection is reliable. Instructionss are easy to follow.

The EPSON software is MUCH better and less clunky to use than HP's latest software. I have set up HP multifunctions recently for friends and family and didn't like the software at all.  The down side is, you really should ignore the included CD disk and instead download the latest driver from EPSONS website. That takes a long download and install time; about 20 minutes for me. Plus you have to install the complete software on every computer on the network you intend to share the printer with.

The printer prints REALLY fast in Normal quality. Draft quality is wicked fast, but text is a bit blocky for me. Best or highest Quality is superb and fine enough for photos on nearly any type of paper.

Another downside is the paper tray doesn't have a slot for a single feed, which would be nice if you just needed to print a single envelope or post card. My old Deskjet could do that.

Bottom Line:
Besides the great price, the selling point for me is the lower ink costs. The Extra Capacity 127 individual color cartridges are much more reasonable than my old HP (and newer ones too) and they seem to give more prints for the money.   AND the ink does not smear. We made posters for school and they were outdoors in a 3 day heavy rain and had almost no smearing.

You really cannot go wrong with this Epson 645 multifunction.

With print speeds of 15 ISO ppm (black and white) and 7.2 ISO ppm (color), the Epson WorkForce 645 all-in-one printer enhances your productivity. Easi...