Korbel Brut Sonoma Valley Non Vintage 750ml Champagne and Sparkling Wine Reviews

Korbel Brut Sonoma Valley Non Vintage 750ml Champagne and Sparkling Wine

Korbel Champage - Good and Reasonably Priced

Aug 5, 2006

Pros:reasonably priced, crisp and not too sugary

Cons:not as tasty as Veuve Clicquot, but good at the price. Must be served cold.

The Bottom Line: The Insider likes Korbel for special occasions.

I'm writing this review in homage to Bryan's 2000 yr/2000 review write off, and I'm in even straying from the relative comfort of websites and services to do it!

As part of this exercise, we were asked to think back to the year 1999 and the millenial new year celebration... and frankly I didn't even recall what we'd done. But thankfully, Mrs. Insider's long term memory remains intact. She was able to tell me what we did, and even produce a few pictures.

And it all came back... at least some of it.

We planned to take it easy, and went to a friend's house.

There were libations of all kinds, and a ton of people. I usually stick to beer, but the line at the barrel was simply too long (and it was cold out). So I decided to grab a bottle of champagne and hang out by the television.

There were tons of bottles to choose from, but I recognized only a few brands. So grabbed a Korbel bottle and a few glasses.

About Champagne
At the time, I didn't know much about champagne, other than I only drank it at New Years. I assumed that all champagne came from France, but this is not the case. As those of you who have watched Wayne's World a few times can tell me, champagne is a white sparkling wine made in the old province of Champagne, France OR a similar wine made elsewhere. The drink became standardized and other areas began to produce it, but it kept the old area's name.

About Korbel
Korbel, as I came to find out, is from California. But it's an old winemaker - established in 1882! They consistently produce prizewinning champagnes. Korbel actually sponsored Times Square's 2000 celebration, hoping against hope that the year 2000 woes would not strike. Korbel is in fact the number one producer/seller of champagne in America.

About the Taste
Although I'm not a sommelier, here's what I think of this vintage.

Korbel champagne is dry, but it has a smooth finish. There is not a lot of sugary taste, as I've found in other champagnes (and I don't really care for). It's crisp, and not very fruit. Overall, I like it for casual celebratory sipping.

This is a low to mid price champagne, as bottles are in the 10-15 dollar range. For higher priced champagne, I recommend Veuve Clicquot - my favorite across all champagnes, even the best of the best.

Bottom Line
The Insider, like Bryan Carey, remains a beer drinker at heart. But Korbel is a solid choice for celebrations that call for the bubbly.

Year: 1999
Price: 15
Wine Rating Scale: A solid performer

Korbel Brut Organic 750ml

Korbel Brut Organic 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region. OrganicSparkling CHARDONNAY^COLOMBARD^SANGIOVES Wine Sparkling Wine Domestic
Korbel Organic Brut  Non-Vintage Wine

Korbel Organic Brut Non-Vintage Wine

Korbel Brut – Made with Organically Grown Grapes is created in classic Korbel style, crisp, delicate and bright. We always strive to present pure flav...
Korbel Brut 1.50l

Korbel Brut 1.50l

This wine is from United States, California region.
International Wine Shop
Korbel Brut Rose  Rosé Wine

Korbel Brut Rose Rosé Wine

We use Pinot Noir and Gamay lots that have a noticeable pink hue for Brut Rose. We try to find lots that have generous strawberry and black cherry lik...
Korbel Chardonnay 750ml

Korbel Chardonnay 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region. The fun of chardonnay is now available with the sparkle of champagne. Korbel Chardonnay Champagne ...
Shop Rite Wines & Spirits

Korbel Chardonnay Champagne  Non-Vintage Wine

Korbel Chardonnay Champagne Non-Vintage Wine

Chardonnay Champagne captures flavors of Chardonnay wine and combines it with fun and sparkle of champagne. This cuvee captures the apple and pear fru...