Dental Treats Cats Love -- Feline Greenies

Jun 2, 2012

Pros:hard pieces promote teeth-scraping chewing, chicken flavor, package reseals

Cons:the cats always want more

The Bottom Line: Dental Treats for Cats in an Oven Roasted Chicken Flavor from Feline Greenies.  The cats are purring.

The kitty boys love their treats and greens, so these Feline Greenies in the Oven Roasted Chicken Flavor seemed a good choice.  So how did the cats enjoy this bag of treats?

Description

The treats come in a large 6-ounce bag that reseals.  Each hard treat is brown colored and roughly shaped like an irregular circle (curved on one side with scalloped waves on the other side).  They are put out by the Nutro Company in the U.S.A.

These snacks are advertised as having less than two calories per piece.  The manufacturer says that they are natural with added vitamins, minerals, taurine and chlorophyll.

The treats come in this Oven Roasted Chicken flavor as well as Ocean Fish, Savory Salmon, Tempting Tuna, and Succulent Beef.  They also come in a 3-ounce or 6-ounce size.

Our Experiences

I don’t give the boys treats too often.  So when they hear me rustle the package of Feline Greenies, they come running.  I like that the bag has a zippered closure to keep the treats fresh.  The packaging also says “Dental Treats Cats Love” and that they clean teeth and freshen breath.

These treats are hard and crunchy.  The boys can’t gobble these down too quickly, which suits me just fine.  They tend to bolt their food, so it’s good for them to slow down while eating these treats.    These Feline Greenies seem harder than regular dry cat food.  The pieces are hard enough that I can see the cats working to chew them, and I can hear the crunch.  If the treats crunch that loudly, I know the hardness is scraping against the boys’ teeth.  Do these treats equal a dental cleaning?  My guess is a big “no,” but I’m hoping the hard pieces scraping against their teeth are helping keep their teeth cleaner.  The cats don’t have dental problems … so keeping fingers crossed!

I notice that these treats have a slight odor to them.  It’s a mild scent that doesn’t smell anything like the Oven Roasted Chicken flavor mentioned on the package.  Even though the advertising mentions the treats contain chlorophyll, I don’t see any “greens” listed in the ingredients.

The boys have no problem scoffing these treats down.  They look for more, too.  It’s hard to resist those begging eyes, but I manage not to overindulge them.  I try to manage their weight (not an easy task).  One of them just found the empty bag of cat treats beside me and is giving it the sniff test.  Guess I’d better buy more!

Ingredients and Serving Size

Ingredients:  Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oat Fiber, Dried Chicken, Natural Flavor, Vegetable Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Carbonate, Poultry Flavor, Sodium Gluconate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Choline Chloride, Taurine.

Vitamins: [Vitamin A Supplement, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement].

Minerals: [Zinc Proteinate; Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Iron Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide], Mixed Tocopherols (A Natural Preservative), Rosemary Extract, dl-Methionine, Chlorophyll.

Serving size varies depending upon cat weight.  Five to Ten pounds equals 6-8 pieces.  Ten to Fifteen pounds equals 8-10 pieces.  Over Fifteen pounds equals 10-12 pieces.

Please visit the manufacturer’s website for updated info since ingredients and other information could change.

Purchasing

I bought these treats at my local pet store.  The 6-ounce bag sells for $5.99.  The 3-ounce bag goes for $3.99.  I always wait for a sale.

Summary

The cats enjoy these Feline Greenies Dental Treats.  The boys have to work to chew the treats, so the food is scraping against their teeth.  Plus, the boys do not have any dental issues.  They also like this Chicken Flavor.  I’ll definitely be buying more.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Now Treats - Turkey with Duck Formula