Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DVD, 2006, Bueller...Bueller...Edition/ Checkpoint) Reviews

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DVD, 2006, Bueller...Bueller...Edition/ Checkpoint)

What Would You Do On Your Day Off

Aug 17, 2010

Pros:Plot; chemistry; some funny scenes; acting

Cons:A couple of things

The Bottom Line:

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a comedy that’s basically for teens, but adults can enjoy it too

Plot Summary
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a teen comedy about a teenager named Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) who wants to take a day off from school.  He fakes being sick so his parents would allow him to stay home.  His plan worked and he got the day off.  His sister Jeanie (Jennifer Grey) was not too thrilled with this.  She has an adversarial relationship with Ferris.  Everyone loves him and thinks he’s so innocent, but she doesn’t fall for his act.  She is on to him and doesn’t think he should be allowed to stay home from school when every other kid has to go.

During his day off, Ferris wants to spend the day with his best friend Cameron (Alan Ruck) and his girlfriend Sloane (Mia Sara).  Besides Jeanie, there is one other person who isn’t fooled by Ferris’ good guy act and that person is the school principal Edward Rooney (Jeffrey Jones).  He is determined to catch Ferris ditching school.  Ferris and his friends have the time of their lives while they are ditching school.  Will Jeanie and Rooney catch Ferris in the act?  Will he get away with skipping school?

My Review
I saw F.B.D.O. when I was younger and I wanted to buy the movie.  I am a big fan of a lot of John Hughes 80s movies so I wanted to see this one too.  I wasn’t in the target audience when this came out (I was a kid), but I enjoyed it even at that time.  I was happy to get the chance to buy the movie.

This was a teen comedy and I like to watch teen comedies.  I liked the plot of this movie.  I had never seen anything like this before.  I had never seen a movie about a kid ditching school just because it was a beautiful day.  It was always something that I wanted to do, but I never saw it in a movie.  This plot gives you a chance to know what it was like to ditch school for the day.  I had never done that while I was in school so it was a chance to walk in someone else’s shoes.  It was interesting to me to see the lengths Ferris would do during his day off from school.

The plot had leave you on the edge of your seat moments when Ferris and the gang had near misses.  It was exciting to see what they were going to do during their near misses.  I won’t spoil who catches them, but it’s the last person Ferris would hope to see while they were out during the day.  The movie wasn’t boring to me.  It kept moving along as soon as Ferris picked up Cameron and Sloane and they were off on their adventure.  There were action scenes mixed in the movie as Ferris had to get home before his parents.  Those scenes were a race against the clock for him and that really kept on you on the edge of your seat because his parents were getting home around the time that he had to be back at the house.

The cast had amazing chemistry with each other.  It was as if they were meant to work together.  Matthew Broderick and Jennifer Grey were dating in real life during the filming of this movie, but they played great adversaries.  Usually when real life couples work together in a movie, they usually don’t have too much onscreen chemistry, but that wasn’t the case here.  Matthew Broderick had amazing chemistry with his other foe in the movie Jeffrey Jones.  They only work together towards the end of the movie, but it worked between the two.  He also looked like he could have really been friends with Alan Ruck and Mia Sara.  The casting department did a great job with this cast.  I heard that there is going to be another F.B.D.O. and I don’t think that the casting will be as great as it was in this.

The movie also has some funny scenes.  It was hilarious to watch Jeanie trying to prove that Ferris was skipping school and that he wasn’t really sick after all.  There’s one scene that she has with Rooney that is funny.  She mistakes him for a burglar and takes matters into her own hands.  She attacks him. It’s a hysterical scene.  She also has a funny scene at the police station with Charlie Sheen’s character.  She gets arrested for making a phony phone call and gets dragged down to the police station.  She meets Charlie Sheen’s character there.  He tried to advise her about the way she was reacting to Ferris, and she doesn’t like that advice.  Rooney had some funny scenes while trying to catch Ferris in the act.  He kept getting stopped by the Bueller’s dog and he got a drink thrown in his face because of mistaken identity. To top it off, he got his car towed while he was at the Buellers’ house.

The acting wasn’t too bad in the movie.  This was Matthew Broderick’s most famous role and he does a good job.  I could never see anyone else playing this role, but him.  I felt that Jeffrey Jones and Jennifer Grey had the best performances even though Matthew Broderick is in the movie more.  They were able to do the funny scenes and they were also great adversaries for Ferris.  The other actors do good jobs in their roles too even though there’s nothing that really stands out with their parts.

Ferris’ parents are clearly dumbed down in the movie.  Rooney tells Ferris’ mother about him staying out of school nine times and she seems surprised.  Does she call the house to ask him about it? She doesn’t do that.  She goes all the way home and sees what she thinks is Ferris sleeping and then walks away from the door.  What she didn’t know was that he had a dummy in the bed to make it look like he was in it.  If my mother were told something like that, she would have woke me up and grilled me about the nine absences.  The father was no better.  There were times when he could have seen Ferris during the day, but he didn’t even notice him.  He clearly looked in Ferris’ face twice, but he believed he was just imagining things.  John Hughes (writer/director) only made the teens appear smart in this movie.  There is a movie term that fits Ferris perfectly. He is a high school hustler.  A high school hustler cons authority figures with his disarming charm.  He is considered a good kid to everyone but Rooney and Jeanie.  This fits him because his parents are easily fooled by his act.  This is why I feel that they were dumbed down in the movie.

Rooney had the wrong role in my opinion.  He shouldn’t have been a principal.  In my opinion, he should have been a truant officer.  If he were a truant officer, then it would have made more sense that he was obsessed with catching Ferris.  Rooney spends his entire day chasing after one student.  There could have been plenty of students cutting school that day, but he is only focused on Ferris.  Jeanie, Cameron, and Sloane weren’t at school, but he didn’t care.  Rooney hunted Ferris down as if he were an escaped convict.  Surely a principal has better things to do than chase after one student.

In Conclusion
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a pretty good movie.  The plot leaves you on the edge of your seat as you watch Ferris and the gang spend their day off together. You also get to see his adversaries going out of their way to prove that Ferris is ditching school.  The adults do get dumbed down in the movie, but that is usually a requirement in a teen movie.  I do think that Rooney should have been a truant officer because they are the ones that go out of their way to find kids that ditch school.  He should be too busy to be going after one student.  Despite the couple of problems I had with the movie, I do recommend it.

My Rating
I give Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 4 stars.  I give it four stars because of the plot and the chemistry among the cast.  It loses a star because of the way the parents are written.

Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) is a tricky but harmless fast-talker. But he knows how to have fun, which is exactly what he sets out to do when he...