Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DVD, 2006, Bueller...Bueller...Edition/ Checkpoint) Reviews

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DVD, 2006, Bueller...Bueller...Edition/ Checkpoint)

Hooky for One Teenager Inspired the Hearts and Minds of a Generation. Bueller? Bueller?

Apr 21, 2011 (Updated Apr 21, 2011)

Pros:Fantastic cast, well acted, hilarious and timeless, fun and well-written

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: This is a very playful teen flick about the joys of life--we all have a little Ferris Bueller in all of us.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is my personal favorite of John Hughes' eighties-era teen movies--most likely because I loved skipping school when I was younger and this offered me the prime opportunity to get my hooky fantasies out. You could even say that this movie inspired a generation of people to rethink school and life. It's probably one of the most famous Hughes movies for it's creative and simplistic script, laugh out loud moments, and intriguing premise most kids could relate to. Then again...you could say that about the bulk of Hughes' movies.

Matthew Broderick stars, in one of his first roles, as the title character who takes it upon him to set up an elaborate plot to skip school and have fun with his girlfriend and best friend (also skipping, by the by). This irks the school principal played by Jeffrey Jones who goes out of his way to see what this troublemaker is up to...while Bueller's sister (Jennifer Grey) is just plain POed that Ferris gets away with every.

You follow them on their day off and all of the fun they get into, and while the movie is loads of fun with them doing things all around Chicago, there's a deeper story at the core that really hit me on my most recent watch. Cameron (Alan Ruck), Ferris' best friend is depressed and without meaning, and with this in context the whole movie sort of plays out like Ferris showing Cameron what life's all about--the ups and the downs--and that makes the movie very memorable and awfully inspiring.

That said, this isn't a preachy movie or one that dwells on serious issues very much. It's a very loose and fun-filled romp through adolescence that's Hughes' most light-hearted film. There's an awesome eighties soundtrack that follows around Bueller and his escapades as he breaks the fourth wall and talks to the audience, winking along the way, and Broderick isn't just charming, but he's extremely entertaining to be with the entire movie.

The supporting cast is also extremely good with Jones being an awesome antagonist hell-bent on catching Bueller in the wake of Bueller's too-trusting parents. Grey is very funny as well especially near the end when it comes to meeting a criminal (coincidentally played by a young Charlie Sheen) as well as her run-ins with Jones' character who tries breaking into their house (long story). Alan Ruck is flawless in his performance and provides a perfect canvass for Bueller to flip off of.

More than anything else, this movie carries a timeless appeal that makes watching it effortless and easy. Maybe it's because I've seen this one more times than any of the other Hughes films, but this one is so carefree and exciting--one of those perfect movies you put on after a hard day's work. There are so many good moments in this that have stayed so classic over the years and I'm hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't like this. Truly one of the gems of the eighties and one that's worth seeing regardless if you've not seen it before.