-64%
HASH(0xbcf10ac) Reviews

HASH(0xbcf10ac)

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Earthday Propaganda goes High Tech

Jul 12, 2001 (Updated Jan 20, 2008)

Pros:Graphics, Celebrity Voices

Cons:Plot Complexity/lack of development. Cliches, Cliches, Cliches

The Bottom Line: Do not pay for this film. Ebert and Roper are wrong. It is just fancy EarthDay propaganda. Wait for the DVD, better yet - wait for the used DVD.

***NOTE: This movie is not necessarily a movie for children!!! I was under that impression going into it and I do not think that most children will understand/follow the plot. There is also some cursing and plenty of death***

This movie has BY FAR the best reality-based graphics of any computer animated movie I have ever seen (SHREK being fantasy based).
Without revealing too much of the poorly explained plot, the people are in a future earth that is being slowly overran by "phantoms". There are these two doctors that have "new-age" thoughts as to the reasoning behind their appearance and the best means of ridding the earth of them. And thats about all I can say without possibly spoiling it for those who are brave enough to risk their 8.00 (5.00 if you are smart and go to the matinee).
Throughout the movie, there were times when the mouths of the "actors" did not move quite right with the words that were being spoken, but it by no means took away from the visual effect. Also, there were scenes that, if taken just as themselves, you would swear that it was a shot of a real person. Creepy.
Anyway... I found myself not quite understanding what they were trying to explain about some key events. Some actions of the main characters appear to be without reason, yet ironically is exactly what needs to be done. Especially at the end of the movie, I felt like some cock-a-mamy ending was thrown together. It, in my opinion, was equivalent to having the main character wake up from a dream and go "Oh, all that was only a dream!... THE END".
The only other acceptable aspect of the movie was the celebrity voices. Ving Rhames(sp?), Roz from Frasier, Steve Bushemi, James Woods,and one of the Baldwin brothers all lent their voices to the film. That was nice because when I found myself asking "What?" or "Why?", the voices helped me remember other movies that were good that I had seen, like Scary Movie 2 (http://www.epinions.com/content_30285270660/tk_~CB005.1.2).

In closing. Do not pay for this film. Ebert and Roper are wrong. It is just fancy EarthDay propaganda. Wait for the DVD, better yet - wait for the used DVD.

DVD, PG-13, 108 minutes, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment
Directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi (who also created the best-selling series of video games that inspired the film), the groundbreaking FINAL FANTASY, whi...