Costco Card (American Express)

American Express Waranty Nightmare

Mar 13, 2009
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:

Pros:If you have "the right kind" of American Express card it might extend some warranties???

Cons:Extended warranty you think you're getting may be very elusive or possibly not even exist.

The Bottom Line: I don't recommend Costco American Express card: When you think you're investing in a product that will offer protection then are let down, you lose trust in that product.

We purchased 5 cell phones plus a 2 year contract at Costco using an American Express card - only so that we could qualify for the advertised extra extended warranty promised by American Express.

Two of the cell phones broke a week ago. Ever since, I've been driving to & from Costco because of Costco employees advice to to go home & get Verizon or American Express to take care of the situation, while each of them have sent me driving back again to Costco; saying that is where the problem needs to be handled. At last I have just now reached the end of the line through a representative at American Express. At first I was informed they have never even heard of such a warranty. After a 5-10 minute "discussion" the rep agreed to check with her supervisor. After another 5 minutes on hold, somebody else came onto the line and said, "Oh, well, some kinds of American Express cards qualify for the extended warranty and some don't. Yours doesn't appear to be one that does."

Had I known, we never would have used American Express to purchase the phones or bought them at Costco in the first place; we would have gone directly to a cell phone store where many more choices of telephones are available and for less money. Never will I make this mistake again.

$200 Classic American Express Gift Card

$200 Classic American Express Gift Card

Give American Express gift cards and give the gift of shopping with a global leader. Available in a $200 denomination, American Express gift cards can...