Cross Country Bank

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Apply Here for Bad Credit

Apr 23, 2000

Pros:Had no problems using it anywhere

Cons:Fees, fees, and more fees

Cross Country Bank Visa was a bad deal right from the beginning.

To obtain the card and begin the account, there is a one-time $100 application fee which, for your convenience, is subtracted from the credit card. Also, an annual fee of $50 is subtracted straight from the account. And last, but not least, they "offer" an Applied Advantage membership which is useful pretty much only if you rent cars on a regular basis. (I have never done so.) This membership costs $34.95...taken directly from your account.

The word "offer" above is used loosely in this situation. If you accept the card, you must also accept the Applied Advantage. It's part of the deal. However, if within 30 days of being charged the $34.95, you decide you don't want it, you can cancel. The charge will then be credited back to your account. Be careful with your charges, though, there is no information as to when this fee will be applied.

The credit line issued is $350. After subtracting the initial fees of $100, $50 and the assumption of the $34.95 being taken immediately, you are left with only $165.05 credit.

The Applied Advantage fee, we soon found out, was not subtracted from the top as the others were. My husband and I learned the hard way (after keeping careful track of our charges so as not to exceed our limits) that the Cross Country Bank waits a month after your card is issued, then, without warning, hits you with the $34.95 charge. Chances are, this will put your account over the limit, which results in a fee of $27.00. In retrospect, we should have assumed they would do something like that and made absolutely certain to keep $35.00 open at all times until we knew it had finally been subtracted. But, as it was Christmas, we did not do so.

So, even if you call and cancel the Applied Advantage membership, because of the over-the-limit fee assessed, you are only actually receiving a credit of $7.95

OTHER FEES

Emergency Credit Line Increase-$27.00

Cash Advance-$5.00 or 5% of advance

Annual Percentage Rate-20.99% variable

Finance Charge-1.7491% variable

I finally got fed up and cancelled my card after the most recent of my ongoing problems. I called the number given on the back of the card (not a toll free number) to find out how much credit was available. I was told by the automated system that there was $24.00. Just 4 days later, we were headed to the store and I wanted to double check the amount. This time I was informed the available amount was minus $9. This made no sense whatsoever to me because I had not used the card since the last time I called.

At this point, I had enough and wanted to cancel. But guess what? The phone number takes you only to the automated system which gives no option to speak to a representative. This was completely unsatisfactory to me. I wanted to know how I ended up over the limit without having made a charge, and I most definitely wanted to cancel my card.

I looked through the file I kept for this account and found the letter which months ago had informed me I was over the limit due to the Applied Advantage membership fee. This gave a different phone number (again not toll free). I tried it and, thankfully, was connected to a person. However, the first person I talked to told me the last charge he had showing was in February. Okay, this is the middle of April. Obviously, his computer was not up to date.

When I asked to cancel, he switched me to someone else. She was more helpful, but I was very upset with the explanation of my account. Apparently, my payment had gotten to them 2 days late. Since there is, according to them, no grace period (although my Terms of Agreement states that no fee will be assessed unless the payment is more than 5 days late), I was charged the $27.00 late fee. This put the account over the limit. So, of course, another $27.00 charge. My payment was received, then the billing cycle ended. Now here's the part that was even more upsetting then being charged the late fee when I shouldn't have been. According to what this representative told me, if an account had been overlimit at the time the billing cycle begins, an ADDITIONAL over-the-limit fee is applied. WHAT?!?

This all started because my payment was received 2 days after the due date, and they apparently don't acknowledge the 5 day grace period listed in the Terms of Agreement.

When I told her I wanted the account closed, she asked me for my reasons. I told her the main one was the overlimit fees. She then said they would waive the most recent one if I wanted to keep it open....

No, thanks--CANCEL IT!!!

Don't make the same mistake we did. If Cross Country sends you an offer, give it the response it deserves...throw it in the trash.

Germany's Three-Pillar Banking System: Cross-Country Perspectives in Europe  eBook

Germany's Three-Pillar Banking System: Cross-Country Perspectives in Europe eBook

Buy Germany's Three-Pillar Banking System: Cross-Country Perspectives in Europe by International Monetary Fund and Read this Book on Kobo's Free App...
Kobo eBooks

One Way Diamond 600 Exit Cross-Country Poles - Pair

The Oneway Diamond 600 Alloy Exit ski poles get you setup for casual cross-country skiing without breaking the bank.

Victory Factory Motorcycle Heated Grips Kit Cross Country Tour Custom

Victory Factory Motorcycle Heated Grips Kit Cross Country Tour Custom

Cycle Country is an authorized dealer of Victory parts and accessories OEM HEATED GRIPS KIT Keep your hands warm on cool days. Includes replacement gr...

Cross Country Running Poster

Cross Country Running Poster

This customizable Cross Country Running Poster is designed on the poster and would interest those who like cross, yard, race, football, humor, country...
ZAZZLE.COM

Cross-Country Jacket Chocolate Large Long

Cross-Country Jacket Chocolate Large Long

Cross-Country Jacket Doubles as a Sport Coat Thanks to its versatile lambswool-blend tweed, our two-button jacket looks like a classic driving jacket ...
TravelSmith

Cross Country Bottle: Aluminum Water Bottle

Cross Country Bottle: Aluminum Water Bottle

Customize your very own Cross Country Water bottle at Customized Girl! Need to hydrate the whole team? Then make water bottles for the whole team! Th...
Customized Girl