Consumerinfo.com

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Beware of ConsumerInfo.com

Jan 13, 2000 (Updated Jan 13, 2000)

Pros:They "offer" a "free" credit report.

Cons:ConsumerInfo.com IS a con.

I signed up for a free trial month of ConsumerInfo.com through the MyPoints site, which was to include a free copy of my credit report. Since we were purchasing a house, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at my credit report. I received an e-mail from them welcoming me, and then several days later received a letter from them stating they needed more information before they could process my request for the free credit report, asking me to call an "800" number. I tried for 3 days to get through to them by phone, and sent them an e-mail explaining that I couldn't get to any of my information using the "member code" included in their correspondence, nor could I seem to get through to them to find out what more was required for my free credit report copy.

I never received a response. I never again was able to get into their member section on their website, and after 3 weeks of this, I simply e-mailed ConsumerInfo.com cancelling my membership.

Their response to all of this was to bill my credit card $59.95 for a 3-month subscription. I am now having to go through the "disputed billing" scenario with my credit card company. Of course, I contacted ConsumerInfo.com and was quite straightforward regarding my displeasure. So far, they have refused to respond in any fashion.

And all of this from a company basing its very existence on the premise of protecting consumers and our credit! I've sent copies of all correspondence with them to the Better Business Bureau, and marked it up to another course in the "school of hard knocks".

Speaking from experience, just don't trust ConsumerInfo.com. A "free" credit report isn't worth the risk of a $60. charge to your credit card.