First-Citizens Bank - North Carolina

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

First Citizen's Bank of North Carolina

Mar 2, 2001

Pros:Customer Service is tops!

Cons:It's more tops for the rich than for the not-so-rich!

The Bottom Line: If FCB is convenient to your house, give them a try.

There are as many different kinds of banks as there are people. I'm the type of person who doesn't need a lot of hand holding. I want some basic information, then I want to go home to digest it, compare it, and then make my own decision. My banking style and needs are met by USAA, which is a long-distance bank. Many people are put off by the fact that there is no physical bank, no live tellers and no personalized help. These people should consider First Citizen's Bank (FCB)in North Carolina.

I am intimately knowledgeable about FCB because I was once an employee. I can tell you, objectively, that there are those who loved us, and those who hated us. Consumers must know a bank's strengths to be able to determine if that institution is right for their needs, so the first thing I would admonish each person is to sit down and determine what type of consumer you would consider yourself. Secondly, do some research on each bank. Ask questions of customers, not just customer service representatives! These people have quotas to meet each month, so they are likely to tell you what you want to hear.

First Citizen's Bank is what I would consider a "conservative" banking institution. Rarely do FCB's rates beat out their fiercest competitors, yet they are still able to hold their own. I believe it to be because of the personal service they provided their customers, or shall I say their "important" customers. Now, I loved working for this bank and everyone in it, but the "haves" got treated way better than the "have nots." I'm not naive enough to believe that this doesn't happen everywhere, but I've only suspected it in other instances. This time, I know it for a fact. Some people thought that it was good business practice, some folks thought that it was "just life", but this idealistic girl thinks it is unfair to have 2 or 3 sets of rules. If you don't cash checks without ID for one person, you shouldn't do it for another.

Now that I'm done with my personal tirade, I will tell you some of the facts, ma'am.

Customer Service

If you are looking for a bank to walk you through your accounts, then this is the place for you. Our clients praised us for our personalized attention. We heard countless stories about how those careless banks down the street wouldn't give those dear people the time of day. I have witnessed first-hand or actually participated in the balancing of other's checkbooks, going over statements line by line and helping roll coins since we did not accept them unrolled. You'll be hard pressed to find tellers out there who will do this! If you like to be babied, and we all do sometimes, then this bank may be a good choice for you.

Accounts

FCB has something for everyone, but more for the rich folks! I'll start at the top and work my way down.

Charter Quest: You have to have a little money, but oh, the perks you'll receive! You need to have $3500 in savings, $5,000 in a money market fund or a combined daily balance of a mere $10,000 to qualify for this little gem, but look what you get:

* Free Safe Deposit Box
* Free checks
* Special CD rates
* ATM daily withdrawal limit of $500
* No annual fee Visa
* Free Visa Check/ATM card
* Free Traveler's Checks, Money orders, Cashier's Checks and notary service.
*Free Membership into the Charter Club that hosts breakfasts each quarter and supervised, well-planned trips!

Regular Checking and Checking with Interest: You must initially deposit a minimum of $100 and your account is free when your keep a $500 daily balance, average ledger balance of $1250 or $750 in savings. This account is free to minors, but they must have an adult as a signer on the account.

Basic Banking: A good option for those who need a bank for very basic needs such as cashing a paycheck. You must initially deposit a minimum of $50 and a flat fee covers 12 transactions per month. A free ATM card is included with this account.

Military Banking: Now if any military member had access to USAA, I don't imagine they'd do business with FCB, but here goes. It takes a minimum deposit of $50 to open an account and you must maintain an average daily balance of $200. A free ATM card is included with this account.

Quick Silver-Student Checking: This is a free account offered to students. You must open the account with $50 and you may write 12 checks per month. This account comes with a free ATM card, unlimited ATM withdrawals from FCB ATMs and checkline reserve for those who qualify with credit approval.

Other Services

Checkline Reserve: You must qualify through credit approval, but you will never bounce a check. Be careful, it works like a loan! Every time you hit it, you will be charged interest!

Check Return: You have three choices here. For $2.00 per billing cycle you can have all of your actual checks returned to you. For a dollar a month you can select check imaging where they copy the checks onto your statement and return it to you. For free you get your checks listed in numerical order on your statement.

Investment Services: You can take advantage of in-house investment bankers, but the minimum (unspoken?) is $10,000, otherwise, they'll just want you to put that money in a CD or IRA.

Business Accounts: They have business checking, savings and investments, for both small and large businesses. This is where we won a lot of business of off the competition since we paid special attention to business owner's needs.

Insurance Services: You can buy life insurance, auto, homeowners, you name it! It is simple to call for a free quote.

Loans: They have any kind of loan you need, from mortgages to small signature loans. You can even apply over the phone for an immediate answer in some instances.

Merchant Services: If you have a business and need to be able to accept Mastercard or Visa, just give them a call and one of the merchant services reps will bring those machines out to your business and teach you how to use it.

Online Banking: Everyone has it these days, and FCB is no exception. I have used this website and found it to be simple and accurate.

If after reading this review you feel like checking FCB out and you live in North Carolina, I would recommend coming to the Maiden branch. They really know how to treat a customer!

OBX Outer Banks North Carolina Oval Removable Decal

OBX Outer Banks North Carolina Oval Removable Decal

OBX Outer Banks North Carolina Oval Removable Decal. This 4? x 6? Oval Removable Decal is made of Zip Strip® vinyl and has a removable adhesive that i...
SupportStore.com

Outer Banks North Carolina - Obx - Tourist Vacation Pink Baseball Hat

Outer Banks North Carolina - Obx - Tourist Vacation Pink Baseball Hat

... T-106 ... Very Hard to Find , OUTER BANKS , North Carolina - OBX , Baseball Style , Tourist Vacation HAT ... Made by - JHATS ... Very High Quality...

North Carolina Flag Sweatshirt

North Carolina Flag Sweatshirt

North Carolina sweatshirts are available in 5 adult sizes.  The North Carolina flag design is imprinted on top quality long sleeve white Jerzees hea...
Flags! Georgia

University Of North Carolina- One Size Ball Cap Hat (item 150)

University Of North Carolina- One Size Ball Cap Hat (item 150)

NEW WITH TAGS ADJUSTABLE -ONE SIZE-THE PERFECT FITUNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA 100% COTTON THE TWINS ENTERPRISE - WHITE, BLUE, AND BLACK PLAID HAT -NO...

University Of North Carolina Women T Shirt, Small,

University Of North Carolina Women T Shirt, Small,

New University of North Carolina shirt by Old Navy: Size Small New with tag Very soft. Underarm to underarm 19 across, Length 24 . 50% pima, 50% modal...

Men's Peter Millar 'University of North Carolina' Melange Fleece

Men's Peter Millar 'University of North Carolina' Melange Fleece

An embroidered patch of the University of North Carolina's official insignia fronts a double-faced melange fleece that would make any Tar Heel proud. ...
Nordstrom

CafePress North Carolina T-Shirt

CafePress North Carolina T-Shirt

Classic T-Shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

NCAA Backpack Pal - University of North Carolina Tarheels

NCAA Backpack Pal - University of North Carolina Tarheels

Show your team spirit with the NFL Backpack Pal. This officially licensed, plush pack is fun for fans of all ages. The plush backpack, University of N...

Nike Women's University of North Carolina Stealth Pacer Short

Nike Women's University of North Carolina Stealth Pacer Short

The Nike Women's University of North Carolina Stealth Pacer Short is made of 100% polyester with Dri-FIT fabric technology and features a school logo.
Academy Sports and Outdoors