Don't buy the "Money-Back Guarantee"
May 6, 2003 (Updated Aug 6, 2004)
Review by zanderson1977
Rated a Very Helpful Review
UPDATE: As of July 2004, PayPal has tenatively settled a class-action lawsuit dealing with some of their problems, including their "Money-Back Guarantee." So, it's taken a couple years, and the threat of legal remedies, but it seems I might actually get some money back by participating in the settlement class. I will let everyone know if and when I actually see the green.
Recommend this product?
Paypal does do some things very well:
1) Allows you to use a CC to pay for online auctions (mostly at Ebay). They do fill a need here.
2) Allows you to send a Payment Request (bill) to anyone w/ email. They can ignore it, however.
3) IF you register a bank account, you can use monies that are sent to you to pay your CC online, no fee, or pay for another winning auction.
3) Fairly easy interface on the site allows you to see details of and keep track of transactions.
4) Security of financial info seems to be solid, SO FAR.
1) DON'T BUY THE MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE / AUCTION GUARANTEE. It's only good for 30 days (far too short in many cases of problem auctions), doesn't cover damage in shipping (you have to submit a claim to the shipper), doesn't refund money you spend shipping wrong item(s) back to a seller, and if you can indeed make a claim at all, you have to send a HUGE pile of documentation snail mail and wait 5-6 weeks while it is processed. And they sometimes still side with the seller. THIS DOES NOT TAKE THE STING OUT OF A BAD AUCTION, FINANCIALLY OR OTHERWISE. And good luck trying to get a human to check out your problem.
2) You can't accept CC payments from buyers on a no-fee "Personal" account.
3) I really don't like the idea of them having my checking account information, and I may have to "unverify" my account, which will take away the ability to pay my CC with my PayPal balance--not that I have one too often.
4) Until recently, PayPal, even though they function as a financial institution, did not notify people who carried positive balances (or give them accrued interest). No regular statement notices of any kind were sent, good, bad or indifferent, it was up to the customer to check on his or her account.
Share this product review with your friends
Accept any form of payment for your business on your smartphone Includes a free app and thumb-sized card reader. Simply open the app on your mobile de...
This is a. This is a great chance to save. What is shown is what will be shipped. Thanks for looking at my item.**Please check all pict...
PayPal Here Credit Card Reader for Mobile Credit Card Processing BRAND NEW Paypal Here Credit Card Reader iPhone Android Accept Payments Anywhere Get ...
HOLIDAY SALE!!!BUY 2 GET ONE FREE!!!Please check out our different kinds of adapters for this same purpose in our store!! Credit/ Debit Card Reader Po...
Shop for Electrical at The Home Depot. PayPal Here makes it simple to accept any form of payment on your smartphone anywhere, so you never miss a sale...
Buy PayPal 71 Success Secrets - 71 Most Asked Questions On PayPal - What You Need To Know by Timothy Petty and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Di...
Easily Attach It To Whatever You Choose... Keychain, Belt Loop, Bag, Purse, Lanyard...You Name It! Designed For An Extra Strong and Tight Hold For You...
Doing Business With Paypal: How To Protect Yourself From Your Online Bank
Store Search search Title, ISBN and Author Paypal Means Business!: An In-Depth Look at Paypal and Its Business Model by Neil J. Boyer Esq Estimated de...
Buy PayPal Hacks by Dave Burchell, Dave Nielsen, Shannon Sofield and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks To...