AMICA - Auto

Expensive where I live and they can be trouble.

Jan 25, 2006 (Updated Jan 25, 2006)
  • User Rating: OK

• Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:
  • Web Site Load Time:
  • Response to Claims:
  • Price Confidence:

Pros:Helpful on the phone. A selective insurer.

Cons:High cost, depending on location. You may be disappointed with their claims service.

The Bottom Line: Shop around for a better deal and contact your state dept. of insurance.

Amica is a high-end "white glove" auto insurer. They are choosy. Apparently, they turn down a lot of folks.

One friend even told me that he couldn't get Amica because he doesn't park his car in a garage, but on the street.

No doubt about it. They are very helpful and courteous on the phone. You get right through with your questions.

However, you pay a lot for all this service. Their rates are more than double the low-end insurers in my state. They are even a third more than Allstate. In fact, they cost more than State Farm , GEICO, Progressive, American Family -- you get the idea.

You can get an annual dividend, reducing your cost. However, the dividend does not make this insurance price competitive with other companies -- at least in my state. (Apparently, they are more competitive in California, comparable to many other insurers.)

Call or visit the website for your state insurance department. My state has a real eye-opening document, listing costs for hypothetical drivers, as well as the complaint rates in our state.

Here I discovered there are 31 less expensive auto insurance companies that provide coverage where I live. Wow!

Their claims service has not been horrific with me, but it's not good either: Ten years ago, I had an accident and they would not repair my odometer. It worked the day before the accident, but now it didn't. The cause? The accident! I had to pay to get it fixed myself.

Then too, I disagreed with their contract claims adjuster about a more serious issue. My car at the time was old, so the adjuster claimed my odometer was 100,000 miles too low! Yes, a nice round 100K.

Finally, the adjuster relented. (This, of course, is difference between repairing a car and totalling it.)

Origin8 Bell Amica Alloy Black

Origin8 Bell Amica Alloy Black

BikewagonCat - Store Home Bikewagon on eBay Bikewagon - Customer Support Helpful Links Visit our Store About Us Payment Info Shipping Info Return Poli...

Origin8 Bell Amica Brass

Origin8 Bell Amica Brass

DUNLOP GOLF JAPAN SRIXON LADIES FAIRWAY WOOD amica #4, RS-103 carbon, L flex - Loose Golf Clubs

DUNLOP GOLF JAPAN SRIXON LADIES FAIRWAY WOOD amica #4, RS-103 carbon, L flex - DUNLOP GOLF JAPAN SRIXON LADIES FAIRWAY WOOD amica #4, RS-103 carbon, L...