AMICA - Auto

57 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Expensive where I live and they can be trouble.

Jan 25, 2006 (Updated Jan 25, 2006)
  • User Rating: OK

• Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:
  • Web Site Load Time:
  • Response to Claims:
  • Price Confidence:

Pros:Helpful on the phone. A selective insurer.

Cons:High cost, depending on location. You may be disappointed with their claims service.

The Bottom Line: Shop around for a better deal and contact your state dept. of insurance.

Amica is a high-end "white glove" auto insurer. They are choosy. Apparently, they turn down a lot of folks.

One friend even told me that he couldn't get Amica because he doesn't park his car in a garage, but on the street.

No doubt about it. They are very helpful and courteous on the phone. You get right through with your questions.

However, you pay a lot for all this service. Their rates are more than double the low-end insurers in my state. They are even a third more than Allstate. In fact, they cost more than State Farm , GEICO, Progressive, American Family -- you get the idea.

You can get an annual dividend, reducing your cost. However, the dividend does not make this insurance price competitive with other companies -- at least in my state. (Apparently, they are more competitive in California, comparable to many other insurers.)

Call or visit the website for your state insurance department. My state has a real eye-opening document, listing costs for hypothetical drivers, as well as the complaint rates in our state.

Here I discovered there are 31 less expensive auto insurance companies that provide coverage where I live. Wow!

Their claims service has not been horrific with me, but it's not good either: Ten years ago, I had an accident and they would not repair my odometer. It worked the day before the accident, but now it didn't. The cause? The accident! I had to pay to get it fixed myself.

Then too, I disagreed with their contract claims adjuster about a more serious issue. My car at the time was old, so the adjuster claimed my odometer was 100,000 miles too low! Yes, a nice round 100K.

Finally, the adjuster relented. (This, of course, is difference between repairing a car and totalling it.)

Grim Gambit (Amica Saga #2) eBook

Grim Gambit (Amica Saga #2) eBook

Buy Grim Gambit (Amica Saga #2) by Richard S. Tuttle and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3...
Kobo eBooks

Avenging Shadow (Amica Saga #1) eBook

Avenging Shadow (Amica Saga #1) eBook

Buy Avenging Shadow (Amica Saga #1) by Richard S. Tuttle and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Ov...
Kobo eBooks

Bell Origin8 Amica Brass

Bell Origin8 Amica Brass

Bell Origin8 Amica Brass Melodic resonant sound Compact lightweight design Swivel dinger High pitch sound Color: Brass

Bell Origin8 Amica Alloy Black

Bell Origin8 Amica Alloy Black

Bell Origin8 Amica Alloy Black Melodic resonant sound Compact lightweight design Swivel dinger High pitch sound Material: Alloy Color: Black

Origin8 Bell Amica Alloy Black

Origin8 Bell Amica Alloy Black

BikewagonCat - Store Home Bikewagon on eBay Bikewagon - Customer Support Helpful Links Visit our Store About Us Payment Info Shipping Info Return Poli...