GEICO Direct

GEICO Direct: A few insights from an ex-insider…

Feb 21, 2001

• Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:
  • Web Site Load Time:
  • Response to Claims:
  • Price Confidence:

Pros:Great discounts, a wide variety of products and services, excellent customer service.

Cons:Difficult speaking with the same CSR. High rates for young drivers and old folks.

The Bottom Line: GEICO is a great company to be insured with if you're a preferred driver.

Less than a year ago, I worked as an Insurance Sales Representative (I gave you the quote over the phone) for GEICO Direct. I left primarily because the Techie in me was just screaming to get out (They tortured me by running a 500+ workstation network using OS/2 Warp in 1999! I gave them several suggestions, but they ignored me! Aaaaarrrrrrgh!) At the time I worked for them, I was so impressed with the company I thought I might have a long future there in one area or another, so I familiarized myself with as much of the company as I could. Now I will share some of my insights with you. Keep in mind, I might have signed one of those "Shut-up-or-we’ll-sue-you" agreements before I left, so to be safe, I won’t be delving into any deep, operations-related details. Sorry.

Your Rate:

GEICO likes to write insurance for preferred drivers. Most insurance companies like preferred drivers because they pay premium and don’t have claims (makes sense doesn’t it). What’s a preferred driver to GEICO, you might ask?

1) Government employees.
2) Males over 25 or females over 21.
3) Professionals.
4) People with clean driving histories.

Why?

1) GEICO started out insuring only government employees (Government Employees Insurance Company) so they respect that relationship by giving them a discount. Also, statistics show that the military and government employees drive the safest.

2) Younger drivers drive worse. You didn’t know?

3) Studies (I don’t know which ones, but this is what they told me) show that people with education that continue past the high-school level drive more safely than others.

4) People who have clean driving histories for an extended period of time have apparently learned to drive safely. That or they are very lucky.

Secondary aspects that will affect your rate are marital status, address, cost of your vehicle, and a lot of other minor stuff. Also, certain many factors are state-specific based on laws in that state. Most of these factors are minor as well, however.

So who does not tend to save with GEICO?

People with crappy driving histories: but you probably already know that. Wait for stuff to drop off your record, then try again.

Youthful drivers: stay on your parents' policy if you can.

Old folks: after you turn 70, your rate starts to look like an 18-year-old’s. You’ll probably have to stay with your current provider.

People who have been with their current insurance company for a long time: if your agent has been doing his/her job, they’ve been giving you discounts periodically to keep your rate competitive. This will make it much harder for anyone to beat your rate.

Customer Service

GEICO actually does its best to provide excellent customer service for its customers. They staff and rigorously train Customer Service Representatives to provide the best service possible. Policies are mailed and updated in a very timely manner. Calls are screened and recorded very frequently (trust me) to insure quality service.

Claims

The facility I worked at in Texas was the Regional office and had its own in house claims department, but they also employ the roving vehicles. The adjusters have to go through a very intense boot camp like training to learn their craft, so they definitely know what they are doing.

GEICO strives to have all claims processed within 48 hours of receiving the first call. This is a lofty goal, and sometimes is not met, but at least they try. Some other companies take weeks to respond.

A Few Negatives:

Since you’re calling a high volume call center most of the time, it is extremely difficult to reach the same person twice. If you like only dealing with one person, you’re not going to be pleased. The agents and reps do try to keep accurate notes in your file each time you call, however.

There are a few states GEICO does not write in such as New Jersey.

A Few More Positives:

GEICO has overseas insurance. This is great for those policyholders that spend serious time in other countries.

GEICO offers umbrella (million dollar policies) for those whom the maximum limits of insurance will not satisfy.

Bottom Line: Should you buy GEICO Direct auto insurance?

If you are a professional, between 25 and 70, with a relatively clean driving record, you definitely want to check them out. If you are a public school teacher, stop reading and call them now (you qualify as a government employee and a professional. Snakes couldn’t slither under your rate…)! They have excellent customer service, fast claims service, and a quote only takes 15 minutes (I could do it in 5). Give them a call, you may be pleasantly surprised.

For more information about GEICO or any insurance company at all, be sure to visit www.ambest.com. A. M. Best Company rates insurance companies based on financial strength, operating performance and market profile. GEICO has an A++ (superior) rating with them.

Geico Gecko Lizard Coin Piggy Bank Tire 9

Geico Gecko Lizard Coin Piggy Bank Tire 9

you are bidding on a GEICO GECKO LIZARD COIN PIGGY BANK TIRE 9

Pro Boat Miss GEICO 17 2.4 Catamaran RTR PRB0300 PRO BOAT

Pro Boat Miss GEICO 17 2.4 Catamaran RTR PRB0300 PRO BOAT

The Pro Boat 17-inch Miss GEICO catamaran represents the true meaning of fun. Brought to you by a global leader in RC boating, the 17-inch Miss GEICO ...
Auto World Morgan Lucas Geico Nhra Top Fuel Dragster Fits Afx, Aw

Auto World Morgan Lucas Geico Nhra Top Fuel Dragster Fits Afx, Aw

YOU ARE BIDDING ON : 1 BRAND NEW TOP FUEL DRAGSTER GEICO MORGAN LUCAS RELEASE 11 FOUR GEAR CARS CAR THIS CAR IS BRAND NEW IN BOX IT IS FROM RELEASE 1 ...

13 Casey Mears Geico Ford 2012 1/24th - 1/25th Scale Waterslide Decals

13 Casey Mears Geico Ford 2012 1/24th - 1/25th Scale Waterslide Decals

TRACKSIDE Graphix NASCAR DECALS 2012 #13 GEICO Casey Mears 13geico12-24 1/24th - 1/25th Scale Waterslide Decals TRACKSIDE Graphix The detail on these ...

13 Casey Mears Geico Toyota 2012 1/25th - 1/24th Scale Waterslide Decals

13 Casey Mears Geico Toyota 2012 1/25th - 1/24th Scale Waterslide Decals

Historic Racing Decal TRACKSIDE RACING DECALS CASEY MEARS #13 GEICO TOYOTA 2011-2012 1/25th - 1/24th Scale Waterslide Decal 13GEICO12-24 Buyer is resp...

Ray Kevin Windham Geico Honda Ultimate Diecast Gift Set (ss-14265)

Ray Kevin Windham Geico Honda Ultimate Diecast Gift Set (ss-14265)

eric265honda Store New Ray Kevin Windham Geico Honda Ultimate Diecast Gift Set (SS-14265) New Ray Kevin Windham Geico Honda Ultimate Diecast Gift Set....

Pro Boat Miss Geico 17 Catamaran Rtr Electric Rc W/2.4ghz Radio - Free Shipping

Pro Boat Miss Geico 17 Catamaran Rtr Electric Rc W/2.4ghz Radio - Free Shipping

Pro Boat Miss GEICO 17 Catamaran RTR Electric RC w/2.4GHz Radio - FREE SHIPPING PRB0300 This is the Pro Boat Miss GEICO 17 Catamaran Ready-to-Run Elec...

Ray Geico Honda Kevin Windham 1/32 Gift Set Ss-14265a

Ray Geico Honda Kevin Windham 1/32 Gift Set Ss-14265a

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A NEW IN THE BOX NEW RAY GEICO HONDA KEVIN WINDHAM 1/32 GIFT SET SS-14265A.DONT MISS OUT USE THE BUY IT NOW AND GET YOURS TODAY.THA...