Horace Mann - Auto

Epinions Product Rating: OK

INCOMPETENCE! APATHY! JUNK PARTS ON YOUR EXPENSIVE CAR!.

Jun 22, 2007 (Updated Mar 18, 2008)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:
  • Web Site Load Time:
  • Response to Claims:
  • Price Confidence:

Pros:Great if you never make a claim.

Cons:EXPENSIVE, SLOW SERVICE, JUNK PARTS, EVEN ON NEWER CARS!

The Bottom Line: Stay away from this company. JUNK PARTS ON YOUR EXPENSIVE CAR! POOR, SLOW SERVICE!

Been with this company for 7 years and never made a claim...in fact, ate the cost of a repair once to avoid making a claim. Always a safe driver...no accidents, no tickets, nothing.

My wife was involved in a accident in which she was at fault, but wasn't cited. Horace Mann refused to accept my body shop's estimate of $3200, instead choosing to send out an adjuster. Finally got an adjuster a week after the first contact, but not until I missed an appointment of my own while waiting on him. He was slow to return my calls; once I called him 4 times in a 24 hour period, plus sent him a fax before he called the NEXT DAY.

Adjuster finally arrived, was here for less than 10 minutes, and appraises the damage over $1000 less. Low estimates are easy when you insist on junk parts. He wrote a bumper cover into the estimate from an outfit called Keystone Auto Parts, a "parts recycler" which literally glues broken bumper covers back together and patches them up with fillers! Lowers the resale value of your vehicle and is of questionable quality to boot. Google it for yourself if you don't believe me.

Worst of all, it's not like my car is old...it's a 2004 Jaguar, 3 years old, well under 50,000 miles. This, to Horace Mann, is an "older" car.

The adjuster also left parts out of the estimate...didn't want to pay for a new knuckle to go along with a new strut that was bent in the accident.

Talked to my body shop guy, and he said he'd dealt with the adjuster before and that the guy still owed him for jobs he'd done long ago.

Got my first post-accident premium today...it has more than doubled. How's that for rewarding customer loyalty? I sat down and added up all the premiums I've paid since I've been with this company...over $10000. My claim to premium ratio is right at 1 to 5...one dollar paid out in claims for every 5 dollars I've paid to them. Despite the claim, they've made over 8000 dollars on me...good thing for them, because I won't send one more dime their way. Horrible.

Avoid this company like the plague...you can pay less, get faster, better service and NOT have to put junk parts on your car.

UPDATE: Been on the phone ALL DAY trying to cancel Horace Mann. My agent is NOT IN, and it's MONDAY! No messages stating that the office is closed today, nothing. Just the standard message.

I'm cancelling because I've found insurance for LESS than what I was paying at Horace Mann BEFORE the accident! Simply amazing.

UPDATE: The used parts that Horace Mann wants to put on my car are out of stock, despite being listed on the estimate. The part has to be ordered directly from Jaguar (which is good, because that means a NEW part instead of used) causing another week's delay (which is bad, because I needed the car a week ago). This will take me well beyond the 20 days allowed for the rental car, so today I've been on the phone with Horace Mann, trying to get that extended.

UPDATE: Horace Mann agrees to reimburse me for the rental! Finally, this company does right by a customer! Woohoo!

UPDATE: Six months later, Horace Mann still hadn't paid the body shop in full where I got my car repaired. I had to get on the phone with them AGAIN and get them to call him to make arrangements. Unreal. Glad I dropped them when I did.

Black Scholar Horace Mann Bond 1904-1972 By Wayne Urban

Black Scholar Horace Mann Bond 1904-1972 By Wayne Urban

BLACK SCHOLAR Horace Mann Bond 1904-1972 by Wayne J. Urban University of Georgia Press; about 6x9 inches, 266 pages. 1994 Trade Softcover FIRST Editio...

Thoughts Selected from the Writings of Horace Mann (Primary Source Edition) by Mann, Horace [Paperback]

On The Art Of Teaching By Horace Mann And Mary Mann (1989, Hardcover)

On The Art Of Teaching By Horace Mann And Mary Mann (1989, Hardcover)

audience trade author horace mann mary mann author for title horace mann mary mann book length display 6.9 in book weight display 4.3 oz ean 978155709...

Saving Schools: From Horace Mann to Virtual Learning by Peterson, Paul E. [Hardcover]

HARVARD UNIV PR Saving Schools: From Horace Mann to Virtual Learning

HARVARD UNIV PR Saving Schools: From Horace Mann to Virtual Learning

No. Of Pages: 336 Pages. Publisher: Belknap Press
Quill.com

Horace Mann s Troubling Legacy: The Education of Democratic Citizens (American Political Thought)