eHealthInsurance.com

eHealthInsurance.com: Online Health Insurance Shopping with Quick Approval

Mar 23, 2010 (Updated Mar 23, 2010)

Pros:Easy searching and comparing; Fast service

Cons:Prices are only estimates; Some products cannot be searched

The Bottom Line: eHealthInsurance.com offers a means to search for health insurance among thousands of options.

Are you in the market for health insurance? You might need to be after the political changes that have taken place in the past couple of days. If you are in the market for a brand new health insurance policy or an improved policy from your existing health insurance policy, then you might want to check out eHealthInsurance.com, a web service for health insurance shoppers.

Insurance Web Site Facts:

eHealthInsurance.com is an on-line retail store that lets individuals, families, and small businesses shop for insurance. The insurance represented at eHealthInsurance.com includes:

Family and Individual
Small Business
Short Term
Medicare
Dental
Life

Insurance shoppers can go to any one of these sections, open the drop down menu, view the different options available, and then begin a search. Under family and individual, for example, one will find links for student insurance, discount cards, long-term health insurance, health savings accounts, and more.

Once a product has been located, shoppers can enter a few brief facts about themselves and run a search. If you are not sure what you want or need, there is an option that helps you find the health insurance plan that is right for you by examining your current family structure and basic needs to find the best match.

If you find a health insurance plan you like, eHealthInsurance.com will direct you to another screen where you will be asked to fill out an application for your new policy. If your application is accepted or rejected, you will know a short time after you submit. If approved, it is only a matter of sending in your first month's premium, to activate your new health insurance policy.

eHealthInsurance.com doesn't require that you establish an account to purchase health insurance, but setting up an account makes it easy to logon at a later time and check your status and/or search for other insurance. Your family and other data will be automatically stored, so you won't have to fill it in again.

Final Thoughts:

eHealthInsurance.com is an online superstore for health insurance shoppers and others who want life, dental, or some other type of insurance. Founded in 1997, this Mountain View, California company become the first internet business to sell health insurance policies. eHealthInsurance.com is licensed to sell health insurance and other insurance products/services in all fifty U.S. States and in the District of Columbia. It offers services from more than 180 health insurance providers with more than 10,000 different options to suit your needs.

Health insurance can get very expensive and since I am always one to look for ways to spread my dollars, comparing insurance policies seems like a good place to start. I usually change my insurance providers for car, home, etc., about once every couple of years, or possibly sooner if I can find a really good deal. Health insurance is something for which I have also shopped around. I don't shop for health insurance as much as other types of insurance, but I still like to price compare. I first visited eHealthInsurance.com a few years ago when I was looking for a health plan to replace my current, employer- sponsored plan. eHealthInsurance.com came through for me, and I found myself seeking out the services of this company again last month when, once again, I started to feel the pinch of high health insurance premiums and decided it was time to search for better deals.

First, let's talk about the search function. eHealthInsurance.com is very efficient at helping consumers find the right policy. You can quickly search for health insurance from the home page by selecting the type of policy you want (Family, Small Business, Short Term, Dental, Medicare, Life, etc.) and then entering your zip code. You will then be asked to enter a few simple facts about yourself and your family (date of birth, whether or not you use tobacco, whether or not you are a student). Then, by entering a policy start date and zip code, you will be presented with a list of potential health insurance plans. eHealthInsurance.com presents the health insurance plans in order of best seller, but you can switch the sort to price, deductible level, company, or consumer ratings. You can also limit your choices to only a specific monthly premium price range and you can select up to four different policies for side by side comparisons. I like the comparisons best because, as everyone knows, health insurance policies often have so many different provisions, you need to line the coverages up, right next to one another, before you can be sure that one is better. eHealthInsurance.com is very efficient at this. Before you know it, you will be presented with several different health insurance policies from which to choose.

Now, let's talk about pricing. We all know that health insurance is quite expensive and continues to cost more and more with each passing month. The prices of the policies at eHealthInsurance.com are not cheap, but they are right in line with what they cost if you purchase them directly. But you need to be careful when you price compare. Often, the less expensive health insurance policies offered through this service are sorely lacking in coverage- almost to the point that they aren't even worth buying. Thus, it is important that you examine the coverages with a magnifying glass. If you already have an existing health insurance policy, I recommend obtaining a copy of the coverage and then comparing it, piece by piece, with the options in eHealthInsurance.com. If your current insurance is through your employer, there is a good chance the prices charged at eHealthInsurance.com for a comparable health insurance policy will be much greater. However, this isn't the fault of eHealthInsurance.com. The higher price is because the health insurance offered by eHealthInsurance.com doesn't include, of course, any assistance from your employer. You are buying the full policy yourself, so it is expected that the price would be higher.

eHealthInsurance.com is a very nice site for price comparisons between health insurance policies, but one must realize that all sections of eHealthInsurance.com are created equally. Most of the different sections allow you to conduct a search, compare plans, and make a selection, but others do not. Let's say I want a long term care plan. eHealthInsurance.com offers this service, but it doesn't allow its customers to conduct their own searches. Instead, you are taken to a screen where you are asked to input your contact information. A representative will then contact you to discuss the options.

Like other insurance web sites, eHealthInsurance.com wants you to buy a little more and to encourage additional sales, it is common to see the option for an additional rider, just before you move on to the application process. These riders are usually for dental insurance, but they can be other things, too. If you like what you see, you can attach this to your policy and then apply for the full package. If you don't want the added riders, just ignore them. As long as you don't make the selection, you won't be nagged about them again.

Applications can be filled out at eHealthInsurance.com electronically and approval is quick. eHealthInsurance.com will let you know, often within minutes, whether or not you are approved for your health insurance policy of choice. There is no obligation- whether or not you gain approval doesn't mean you have to accept the offer. So, there is nothing to lose by submitting your application and then waiting to receive an approval and price quote. Keep in mind that the up- front prices quoted at eHealthInsurance.com are only estimates of the monthly premium. Your final health insurance premium cost could be slightly higher or lower, based on your present health and different factors.

Overall, eHealthInsurance.com is a very good place to shop for health insurance and other insurance policies. eHealthInsurance.com claims to be the customer's advocate and from what I see, I believe them. The site helps you find the best insurance policy for your needs, with good customer support (including live support, if you want it), thousands of product offerings, and fair prices all- around.