H&R Block

Epinions Product Rating: OK

FEES GONE WILD!

Feb 14, 2007 (Updated Feb 16, 2007)
  • User Rating: OK

• Time to Complete:
  • Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:
  • Confidence:
  • Helpfulness of Preparer:

Pros:Hmmmm...nice folders.

Cons:Outrageous fees, inept employees.

The Bottom Line: Doing your taxes is not a pleasant experience when your preparer cannot be trusted to get you what you are entitled to.

I have been tortured this year when processing my tax return. I have been going to H & R Block for the last five years and understandably I wanted to save on their charges by filing my return myself on-line. However, after going to three different sites, my return had three different totals. One said that I owed taxes; another calculated a $200 plus return and the other, a $600 plus return. Funnily enough, their tax return calculators all gave me a $2000 plus figure as an estimate.

As a result, I shied away from this process and marched down to my local H & R Block with an attitude in tow.

Sitting in the waiting room, I noticed little signs indicating that H & R Block goes to great lengths to make sure you get what you are entitled to. This year, I had two 1099’s and one W-2. Twenty minutes later, I was ushered over to a semi-private desk and I handed over my documents to a middle-aged competent-looking woman in a blue business suit.

Sylvia was very pleasant as she happily took my personal information and entered it into the computer.

“Okay,” she said, “Would you like to know the amount you are due?”

“Yes, I would.” I replied, “Does this include our telephone excise tax refund also?”

“Yes, it is a standard $40,” she replied.

“But, I brought all my phone bills, shouldn’t you add that up?” I asked, a little confused.

“Oh, sure, if you want me to,” she flustered. Of course, I wanted her to, what a stupid question.

“And what about the sales tax refund we are due?” I quandered.

“Er, you have to have all your receipts to qualify for that,” she replied a little haughtily.

Wrong! I knew from a very reliable source that you didn’t need the receipts this year. Next year, however, you would. It required a practical board meeting for the staff there to come to the conclusion that, yes, I was entitled to that. So, finally, I had my refund calculated correctly, I think.

The charge?: A whopping $275.00! She spent about 15 minutes with me aside from the board meeting. That means that H & R Block earned $1,200.00 per hour for processing my return. Maybe I should have charged them back for the information I gave them.

Needless to say, I didn’t file electronically and let them take even more charges out of my return, anywhere from $100 to $200 depending on how I would have filed. I would rather wait. Nor did I fall for the “worry-free” audit charge.

Am I satisfied with their service? Well, er, no! I could have been one of the poor souls who has been screwed out of their sales tax refund (mine totaled $343.00) because of people like Sylvia who was obviously not aware of some very important details. Who knows what else I may be entitled to that I know nothing of.

Do I think that their fees are fair? Again, no! I think their fees aren’t even competitive. After a little research, I have found that H & R Block charges a lot more than most companies and have long been criticized for them. It's no small wonder that I have been unable to find an itemized list of these fees either. Sylvia certainly couldn't produce one.

As I closed the transaction, I thought, “Wouldn’t it be nice if the scratch off ticket I was awarded as a gift for doing business with them would reveal a $25,000.00 prize. In my dreams, of course! H & R Block does issue your papers in a nice little green and white folder for your convenience. I now have six of these. The colors will definitely change next year.

Chevrolet Script Small Block Valve Covers Chrome Pair

Chevrolet Script Small Block Valve Covers Chrome Pair

Nova - Camaro - Corvette - Chevelle - Impala C H E V R O L E T Script Chrome Valve Covers Description Brand New Reproduction Script Style Valve Cove...

Obx Universal Fuel Distribution Block 4 Connector -8an -6an

Obx Universal Fuel Distribution Block 4 Connector -8an -6an

Two -8AN Ports Two -6AN Ports 3.75H x 1.00W x 1.50H 4 Ports C onnection Product: OBX-R Fuel Distribution Block Application:Universal Use Features : 4 ...

Allen Bradley R. H. Contact Block X 137739 In Box

Allen Bradley R. H. Contact Block X 137739 In Box

ALLEN BRADLEY R. H. Contact Block X 137739 New In Box click to Enlarge Description : This auction is for an ALLEN BRADLEY R. H. Contact Block X 137739...

RS70054 Block Kit 2.5in

RS70054 Block Kit 2.5in

Rear Block and U-Bolt Kit
Little Giant Butcher Block Top Mobile Workbench with Drawers Multicolor - WTS-2448-3R-2DR, 48W x 24D x 35H in. (Full Size)

Shop for Work Benches and Stations from Hayneedle.com! The Little Giant Butcher Block Top Mobile Workbench with Drawers is completely mobile with four...
Hayneedle

Allen-bradley R.h. Contact Block X-137909 ....xt-44a

Allen-bradley R.h. Contact Block X-137909 ....xt-44a

NEW ALLEN-BRADLEY R.H. CONTACT BLOCK X-137909 WE COMBINE SHIPPING ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL MIKE AT 757-287-9756

Little Giant Butcher Block Top Mobile Workbench with Drawers Multicolor - WTS-2436-3R-2DR, 36W x 24D x 35H in. (Full Size)

Hayneedle

R45001 Standard Motor Products Power Distribution Block

R45001 Standard Motor Products Power Distribution Block

New Standard Motor Products Power Distribution Block. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. R45001
PartsGeek.com

Sealmaster Tb-32r Pillow Block Ball Bearing 2 Bore Dia 5-1/2 L 4-5/8 H

Sealmaster Tb-32r Pillow Block Ball Bearing 2 Bore Dia 5-1/2 L 4-5/8 H

SealMaster TB-32R Pillow Block Ball Bearing 2 Bore Dia 5-1/2 L 4-5/8 H Powered by eBay Turbo Lister The free listing tool. List your items fast and ea...

R6258 Polished Aluminum Fuel Pump Block-Off Plate