Four the Record by Miranda Lambert (Oct-2011, Sony Music) Reviews

Four the Record by Miranda Lambert (Oct-2011, Sony Music)

Feisty Miranda Lambert

Jul 21, 2012

Pros:Safe
Mama's Broken Heart
Dear Diamond

Cons:Fine Tune
Easy Living

The Bottom Line: It's a good album, with many good songs.

*Note: I give this album 3 and a half stars.

I enjoyed Miranda Lambert’s first three albums (Kerosene, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Revolution) and Four the Record is no different. I was excited when this album came out back in November 2011 because I really love her voice and I was excited for more of the same types of songs from her, and I was not disappointed. She still has that same attitude and flair, but there is also that vulnerability that she has also shown on previous albums (e.g. “The House That Built Me” on Revolution). Here is a rundown:

All Kinds of Kinds: What a great message this song has about the fact that we all have a place in this world, no matter our appearance or hobbies or traits. Everyone makes the world go ‘round. 8/10

Fine Tune: I originally really disliked this song when I heard it. This song definitely has a different sound. Miranda basically describes her love for a guy using car metaphors: “You pulled up in a rescue truck and/Showed up with a master key/And revved it up for me.” Personally, I’m not a big fan, but I like the lyrics. 5/10

Fastest Girl in Town: You already know from the title this will be good. However, for me it didn’t live up to expectations on first listen, but it eventually grew on me. Typical Miranda song, though. She sings about her badass side. 7/10

Safe: Such a sweet song. I think she wrote this song for Blake Shelton, her husband, right before a show, but I’m not 100% certain. Anyways, I really like this one. It’s simple and lovely and shows Miranda’s vulnerable side in how she admits to feeling safe and protected with the one she loves (e.g. Blake). One of my favourites. 10/10

Mama’s Broken Heart: Another awesome song. It starts off great, too: “I numbed the pain at the expense of my liver/don’t know what I did next; all I know I couldn’t stop.” This song is funny to me because it is essentially Miranda singing about how she can’t act like a lady at all in the face of a breakup. She basically can’t keep it together in public. This is a good one. 10/10

Dear Diamond: Oh, another song I just love, but it took a bit of time to grow on me because I wasn’t really listening to the lyrics. It’s a song about infidelity. I love that she’s speaking to her wedding ring about her unfaithfulness. Very clever. 9/10

Same Old You: A song about a no-good guy. I like the instruments in this one. Very twangy. 7.5/10

Baggage Claim: I loved this one on first listen because it’s catchy and because I airports. The latter is a weird reason, I know, but it’s true. Anyways, this song is about the baggage a guy (or anyone, really) has coming into a relationship and how it is just too much to deal with sometimes. 10/10

Easy Living: I love the quality in her voice in this one so much, but I’m not a big fan of the song. It’s just about a great guy. 5.5/10
Over You: Love. It. That’s all I can say. Well, not really. This song is about Blake’s brother who passed away. Blake felt it would be too tough for him to sing on stage, so he gave it to Miranda instead. I love the lyrics in the chorus: “I’m not going to ever get over you.” I like how it’s worded in a way that could apply to almost any situation. I think that was done intentionally. 10/10

Look At Miss Ohio: Not liking this one. It’s just there. It’s about a girl who just wants to have fun living in the moment. Slow-paced and calm. 5.5/10

Better in the Long Run (feat. Blake Shelton): This one is a duet with her husband. They sound nice together. It’s a song about a relationship that needs to be ended, but is so hard to do. 7/10

Nobody’s Fool: I really like this one, but I can’t figure out if she’s saying that she is nobody’s fool or if the guy she sings about in the song is “Nobody” and she is his fool and hence she’s “Nobody’s (the guy’s) fool.” I still don’t know. But this is such a good song and it’s about a guy (possible an ex) who has moved on. 9.5/10

Oklahoma Sky: Sure a nice, peaceful, sweet song about love. 9/10

Overall, Four the Record is a good, solid album. Some of these songs take a while to grow on you, though. This is on par with her last album, Revolution.

Personnel: Randy Scruggs (guitar, banjo, mandolin); Jay Joyce, Richard Bennett (guitar); Greg Leisz (steel guitar, dobro); John Jarvis (piano); Glenn ...

Miranda Lambert struck gold with her third album, Revolution, which sent two songs to the top of the country charts. Four the Record looks to continue...
Four The Record