-18%

Free Shipping Home Depot
Free Shipping Sears

Solid Frigidaire Microwave

Jun 8, 2012

Pros:Attractive, so many great options I've never had in a microwave

Cons:None so far, I will update if I encounter any

The Bottom Line: Lots of bells and whistles on this oven and it cooks evenly and reliably.

My husband and I recently moved into a town home.  Although the home is brand new, the oven, dishwasher and microwave were already purchased and installed when we made the offer to purchase, so the only appliance I was able to choose was my refrigerator.

I've never owned a Frigidaire microwave before, but I am very impressed with the FPBM189KF Professional Series model.  This is a very solid appliance with a high end appearance.

Features

Other microwaves I've owned have had the control buttons on the right side.  This model has them below the door window.  It is installed over our range so it has a vent and a light.  The light has two levels, high and low.  The vent also has a high and low speed.

There is a metal rack placed in the center of the oven, which can be removed.  When in place it provides two levels for cooking or reheating.

A menu label is on the outside of the oven as well as on the upper inside area.  Buttons on the outside feature:

* Sensor cook
* Fan icon
* Child lock
* 30 Minute Warm Hold Setting
* Electronic clock and timer

The power levels range from 1-10, as well as a "Add 30 sec" button.

Sensor Cooking

The oven has an electronic controlled sensor that actually detects vapor emitted from foods during the cooking process.  It then adjusts cooking time and power levels automatically.

Thoughts

I've never had a rack in previous microwaves and I don't use this one, I took it out.  The manual lists quite a few warnings about use of the rack and I find it easier to remove it so I don't have to worry about it.

When the microwave is done cooking it produces a very loud beep that seems to go on forever.  My husband took advantage of the "Audible Signal Elimination" feature and now it is silent.  When I press the buttons to set the time I don't hear anything.  When I am in the kitchen I know when it's done cooking because I no longer hear the sound of the microwave running, but if I were out of the room this could pose a problem.  It can be turned on and off quite easily.  In fact, the turntable can be turned off as well, but I always leave it on.

This is one of the products in the Frigidaire Professional Series, and it wasn't cheap.  Our builder purchased it at Allen & Peterson and it retailed for $520.00.  It is very attractive with a real stainless steel finish, and does indeed look high end.

The first thing that impressed me with this oven was how sturdy it is.  When I shut the door it closes quietly and firmly, (instead of the clunking sound of our Sharp microwave purchased last summer).

The interior is very spacious, with a 2.0 foot capacity.  Overall measurements are 17 1/16" H x 16 3/4" D x 29 29/32" W.

As far as usage and performance I've been very pleased with this microwave.  I don't need a manual to run it and foods come out evenly cooked.  Roasts and ribs are moist and tender!  Our Sharp microwave had a popcorn feature but it always burned the popcorn, this Frigidaire does not, it comes out perfect every time, no matter the brand of popcorn I buy.

There is a protective coating on the microwave that reduces smudges and fingerprints and cleaning it is very quick and easy (I use a warm dishcloth).  I've never had a "One-Touch Keep Warm Setting" on previous microwaves, but this is handy and it works.  Not sure how it does, but it does.

The filters can be removed and safely washed in my dishwasher, and I really appreciate this because filters are one part of a microwave oven that I've never been sure how to clean.

I love this microwave!  I don't think I would have spent this much money if I were holding the purse strings, but since it came with our home I am thoroughly enjoying it and appreciate all the bells and whistles.

Amount Paid (US$): n/a

1.8 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ 1000 Watts Total Power/ 14 Turntable/ SpaceWise Rack/ Over 40 Settings/ One-Touch Options/ Sensor Cooking/ 2 Fan Speeds/ 10 Po...
Abt Electronics

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This extra-large Frigidaire 2.0 cu. ft. Over-the-Range Microwave has over 40 cooking options and several One-To...
Home Depot
SpaceWise® rack creates more room so you can cook multiple dishes at once. Over 40 versatile settings including: chicken nuggets, soften ice cream, ...
Lowe's
The Frigidaire FPBM189KF 2 Cu Ft over-the-range microwave is designed to fit all homes This microwave combines versatility with efficient control use ...
AppliancesConnection
The Frigidaire Professional Series 30 1.8 Cu Ft 1000W Over-the-Range Sensor Microwave, in real stainless steel with protective coating, has a variety ...
Frigidaire FPBM189KF Professional Series 30 In. 1.8 CF 1000 W Over-the-Range Microwave has a variety of options to satisfy all of your cooking needs....
Wayfair
Frigidaire Professional has a distinguished new look. Update the look of your kitchen and the performance of your cooking with this fantastic new micr...
Effortless Reheat Reheat almost anything at the touch of a button. SpaceWise Rack SpaceWise Rack creates more room so you can cook multiple dishes at ...
HomeClick