Donkey Kong 64  (Nintendo 64, 1999) Reviews

Donkey Kong 64 (Nintendo 64, 1999)

Donkey Kong, a Rare Classic

Aug 6, 2012

Pros:Fun graphics, great story mode, it's Donkey Kong!

Cons:Bad multiplayer mode, sometimes can't figure out what to do, requires expansion pack to play

The Bottom Line: I would reccomend this to anyone who has a N64 because the story mode is extremely addicting to play and it takes a long time to beat, which is good!

Overview

Donkey Kong 64 was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo on November 24, 1999 for the Nintendo 64. The game requires an expansion pack to play, which improves the graphics of the N64. If you don't know, Donkey Kong is an ape-like character dreamed up by Shigeru Miyamoto in 1981. He has become much more popular, and this game is a great addition to the Donkey Kong library

Story Mode

In story mode, you start out as Donkey Kong. K. Rool (the antagontist who is an alligator thing) is trying to destroy Donkey Kong with a laser called the Blast-O-Matic, but the Blast-O-Matic malfunctions. To buy time while he fixes his laser thing, he traps some of Donkey Kongs friends and steals some Donkey Kongs precious golden bananas. This is where the game starts. As Donkey Kong you have to free your friends who are Diddy Kong, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, and Chunky Kong. I think that the story mode of Donkey Kong is very fun and entertain it, if you have ever played Banjo-Kazooie, or Super Mario 64 for Nintendo 64, I would compare it to that. The only thing I would criticize about the game is that at times, I didn't know what to do! It could because I'm just not good at problem solving, but it might require a lot of thinking.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer in Donkey Kong 64 is very disappointing for me. I think that the mode was poorly designed and ore of a after-thought, which I don't particularly have a problem with because the story mode should be the star of the game, but it seemed like they didn't put much effort into it at all. The two players are on a circular platform and are supposed to battle it out until someone has died three times. It is a terribly boring game because pretty much all you do is run at each other and repeatedly press B. Another annoying thing is when they put in a computer player like an alligator that you have to kill, it is nothing but a very annoying distraction from the player you are battling against. Also, the powerups that you can get are way to powerful. If you get a bomb, which I think are oranges, it is almost a guarantee you kill the other person. So, I think that the multiplayer on Donkey Kong 64 is terrible, but if you are thinking about buying this game, don't decide not to buy it just because of the multiplayer. On the other hand, DEFINITELY don't buy it because of the multiplayer.

Graphics

To play Donkey Kong 64, you are required to have an expansion pack, which I explained at the beginning, but because of this, Donkey Kong has, in my opinion, the best graphics on the N64 other than Conkers Bad Fur Day. Obviously the graphics can't compare to any gaming nowadays, but in a way it is more charming. The colors are vibrant, and that is something that you don't see much of anymore because everything is trying to be realistic.

Overall, I think that Donkey Kong 64 is a great game and it should definitely be on the top of your list of Nintendo 64 games to get. Don't let the bad multiplayer distract you, because this game is all about the story mode

Donkey Kong 64 (Click image to enlarge) Universal Game Case With High Quality Cover Image NO GAME Quick Overview High Quality Transparent Game Case Pr...
Nintendo 64 (N64) Custom Art Case (*No Game*) Up for Auction?Universal Game Case With an Artwork Insert Case utilizes a clear outer sleeve to hold a g...

K. Rool has ape-napped the Kongs! Now, only Donkey Kong is left to rescue and stop K. Rool's evil plan. You must rescue the Kongs and take back your f...