Pros:Great vision, good scenarios and great resemblance to reality.
Cons:Those pesky little characters who keep saying "This zoo is no good"
The Bottom Line: A great product for gamers who loved the original Zoo Tycoon product. A great combo gift for your kids Christmas gift with Zoo-Tycoon
Recommend this product?
Being a fan of Zoo Tycoon, when I got the news on this Expansion Pack my mouth started watering again. Soon I had the expansion pack and spent hours playing god with dinosaurs. So once I finished reviewing Zoo Tycoon (http://www.epinions.com/content_117946683012) here comes the Expansion Pack to that review as well.
The game ideology is same as the original Zoo Tycoon i.e. create your own zoo and make it as attractive as possible. You have a fixed budget to start off with, the rest is on you as to how you want to have incomes, how you want to spend money on and so on.
Some features of the game which I cut pasted from my previous reviews is as follows. (People who have read that review can jump to next section)
1) You just have limited amount of dollars as investment, rest you have to earn from various zoo resources.
2) The animals would live only in habitats which are suited to them.
3) The animals also have their quirks. They want specific foliages, shelters, space, distance from the crowd, clean areas, fresh water etc.
4) Some animals like to have some rocks, hills, moats around.
5) Depending on the animals you need to have employees, trainers, maintainence guys whom you have to pay every month.
6) The cages that you have for animals would grow weak with time. The animals are clever enough to break such cages and roam freely with the crowd to pick and choose whom to eat and whom to kill.
7) There seem to be seasons when crowd simply seem to flow in while there are other seasons when the crowd is less.
8) The crowd are very demanding for the amount they spend, they require food, drinks, some interaction with animals, rest rooms etc.
Expansion Pack Features
This expansion pack adds a totally new dimension by bringing in the world of dinosaurs. I assume most of you must have seen Jurassic Park I/II/III to realize that dinosaurs are not so easy to tame after all ;)
So what are the challenges:
1) There are some new electric fences around. Beware don't let the crowd play around with them, they might just get the shock of their lives.
2) Dinosaurs require extra care and a full fledged scientist is required. So get ready to shell out an extra bunch of money for him.
3) The electric fences seem to get rusted every now and then. The dinosaurs simply love these opportunities to jump out and have a couple of human beings for lunch. Poor you, the zoo rating goes down and the people avoid coming to such dangerous zoo. So be on the watch out and have your maintainence worker ready.
4) There is a dinosaur rescue team to capture escaping dinosaurs. But they need the latest technology to do that. Bad news as latest technology is never cheap.
So though dinosaurs attract a huge amount of crowd, you can see your green notes being spent like water.
Also new in this pack are some great Dino structures, like Tyranosauraus (hope the spelling is correct) bone structure which seem to attract crowds. Also who lot of dino burger shops, and new foliages to suit dino mentality.
Things you should do at least once:
1) Put an animal in a dino cage and see the dino hunt the animal down. Believe me it is fun, though you loose the amount spent on the animal for this fun.
2) Let a dino escape and hunt down a couple of people, see them run out of the park. You will enjoy it.
3) Best of all see a couple of pesky gentlemen get shocked by the electric fences.
All in all a good expansion pack for a good game. Overall the only thing missing is marine animals, which again has come out as an expansion pack.
Other Games in Zoo Tycoon Stable
1) Zoo Tycoon: The original game for which this is an expansion pack. You can check out its review at http://www.epinions.com/content_117946683012 .
2) Marine Mania: An expansion pack, that brings dolphins and other marine characters into your zoo. Check out its review at http://www.epinions.com/content_118394097284.
Good work Blue Fang and Microsoft. Thumbs up and high five.