GoPicnic Ready-to-Eat Meals, Turkey Pepperoni + Cheese, 3-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6) Reviews

+$4.99 shipping Wayfair Supply

Go Picnic Turkey Pepperoni and Cheese: Delicious But Salty

Sep 14, 2013

Pros:Tasty, low calorie, high in protein

Cons:High sodium, greasy pepperoni

The Bottom Line: This meal has a nice taste, but it is too salty and the pepperoni is too greasy for me to eat this on a regular basis.

I discovered the GoPicnic meals at Target a couple of weeks ago.  They were on an endcap, so I stopped to check them out.  We are always looking for low calorie meals/snacks, and there were several varieties that caught our eye.

The first meal that I tried was the turkey pepperoni and cheese meal.  It contains

-a packet of multi-seed crackers
-Bridgford turkey pepperoni slices
-Copper cowbell asiago gourmet cheese spread
-sweet perry orchards baja blend fruit and nut mix
-Professor zim zam’s extraordinary sweets zeppelin sea salt caramel lollipop.

The portions are small, but it helps to keep the calorie count down too.  The whole meal comes out to 330 calories, 16 grams of fat, 4.5 grams of saturated fat, 860 mg of sodium, 2 grams of fiber, 20 grams of sugar, and 14 grams of protein.

This meal is also labeled gluten free, but the ingredients do include milk, soy, and nuts- so read the labels carefully before purchasing.

This is, by far, the saltiest of the GoPicnic Meals.  This is due to the turkey pepperoni.  The Bridgford brand has 2/3 more sodium than the same amount of Hormel turkey pepperoni.  The small packet of about 8 slices contains 510 mg of sodium.  The pepperoni in this meal is also greasy to the touch, whereas the Hormel brand is not.

The pepperoni tastes great, especially when paired with the crackers and the cheese spread.  In case you were wondering, they do include a little wooden spreader for the cheese, so you can take this meal anywhere.  I like this feature a lot, and what I usually end up is doing is eating the cheese/crackers/pepperoni at home, and then I take the nut mix and the lollipop in the car when I drive my twins to preschool.

This meal reminds me a lot of the deluxe meals that they have available for purchase on JetBlue airlines.  There’s a nice variety of food in this turkey pepperoni meal.  The portions are a little small, but they are supposed to be.  You only get about 7 crackers, 8 slices of pepperoni, and a handful of nut mix.  I do generally feel satisfied after the meal, and the portion size is probably more realistic of what our bodies need rather than the value meals served at fast food restaurants.

As much as I like the way this meal tastes, I can’t recommend it.  The pepperoni is a little too greasy, and 860 mg of sodium is way too much, especially considering the other meals have less than half of the sodium that the turkey pepperoni meal has.  I might buy this again every now and then, but I don’t think I could make this a regular purchase.  I’m trying to cut back on my sodium intake, and this is just too salty for me.

Nutritious meal in a handy box right at your desk. No heating or refrigeration required. Items are individually wrapped for convenience and freshness....
--- Select Brand --- Avent Braun Carlson CHI CHI Air Conair Cytosport Doctor's Best Dr.Scholl's Eclipse Evercare Garden of Life HoMedics Honeywell Inf...

Gopicnic GPN Features: -Ready-To-Eat-Meals.-Food Type: Lunch.-Balanced meal featuring beef salami slices, olive oil and sea salt crackers.-Asiago gour...
Wayfair Supply
Multi-seed crackers, asiago cheese spread, turkey pepperoni slices, cranberries & pineapple, buttercrunch toffee. 300 calories, 12 g protein, 2 g fibe...