Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (DVD, 2002, 2-Disc Set, Full Frame) Reviews

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (DVD, 2002, 2-Disc Set, Full Frame)

Well i'll be a monkey's uncle! Columbus actually pulled it off!

Nov 17, 2001

Pros:99% of people are going to love this movie.

Cons:Few

The Bottom Line: Read Review

Good golly miss Molly! Hot damn! Just when I thought a family film couldn't get any better than Monsters, Inc., this Harry Potter hocus-pocus nonsense comes along and blows me right out of the water. I really hate to admit it, but I liked it. I liked it a lot.

I have never read any of the books. My knowledge about Harry Potter was close too little. I knew it was about magic and a kid with glasses. That's all I knew going into the film. Walking out I felt like a mighty wizard who just left the best damn brothel this side of the Mississippi. That's right folks, I'm cool with Harry and he's cool with me.

The film is good, quite good. In fact, it's better then it has any right to be. As far as fantasy films goes, Peter Jackson's The Lord Of The Rings is going to have a lot to live up to.

So what's the deal with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone you might be asking. Now i'm sure a lot of you are Harry fanatics and into all the books and that crap, and that's great. Before tonight I had no experience with Harry Potter. It was like I had opened a mysterious package, I had no idea what I was in for. I think if you haven't read the book, and you don't know every little detail about the plot, it's best to know nothing. That's why the majority of this review has hardly anything to do with plot.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a tale that seems to take place in our world, but inside our world there is a secret and magical world. It's a magical world that has goblins, wizards, and all that mumbo-jumbo. The film is filled with wonderful characters I won't be forgetting any time soon. Calling Harry Potter just a kid's film would be ignorant. Just like calling it a movie about a kid with magic powers would be foolish. On the surface, sure it might be these things. Look closer, and you'll see you have a nicely crafted film that was put together with expertise and care.

The film is close to perfect. It's nicely paced, taking its time introducing characters, and motives. It lets the audience take the world in, absorb it, instead of just rushing to the plot. By no means does the film reek of Nickeloden type junk. This is a film here folks, and chances are the adults are going to appreciate it more then the kids.

As far as the acting goes, not bad. The kids, particularly the big three, are able to create highly memorable characters. I sometimes have problems with child actors. It seems like they are being just a little too cute and sassy. Take a look at Malcolm in the Middle if you want to see child acting at it's worst. Instead, the kids in this film never bugged me or got on my nerves. I believed they were the characters, and in the end that's all you need. Plus, British children tend to be more mature then some of the brats that infest my television set. As for the adult actors, I was quite pleased. I wish Richard Harris would stop whispering every bit of dialog he has, and I could always use a little more Alan Rickman in a movie. There's nothing amateurish about Harry's thespians.

I do have a few minor complaints. Some of the CGI is not up to my standards. For a big event film, a film that is expected to break many box office records, some of the special effects could have had a bit more work. Maybe I am picky, or maybe I'm just spoiled from looking at the neat-o CGI picks of Lord of the Rings. Also, the final confrontation in the film seems to be lacking something. Not sure what, but it is.

The Harry Potter movie. I can't believe how much I liked it, and I am already looking forward to the sequel. While it doesn't inspire me to go read the books, it does make me want to go to sleep and have marvelous dreams of magic spells and unicorns. Not just a kids film by any means, and better then your average event movie.

American director Chris Columbus (HOME ALONE) brings the magic of British author J.K. Rowling's beloved best-selling fantasy novel to life in HARRY PO...

American director Chris Columbus HOME ALONE brings the magic of British author J.K. Rowling's beloved best-selling fantasy novel to life in HARRY POTT...
Family Video