Herbal Essences Clairol Essence Color, 047 Disco Inferno deeply Intense Ruby

The intense red I was looking for!

Apr 19, 2012 (Updated Apr 19, 2012)

Pros:Gorgeous, intense ruby red color. Dyes very nicely, inexpensive.

Cons:Discontinued (what?!), can cause hair breakage and will fade eventually.

The Bottom Line: What a yummy color, I sure hope they come out with similiar colors in the future.

I have been all sorts of shades of red in the past year, not quite finding the shade I like or want. My husband loves my red, but I just can't find what I want over the counter (and I don't really do salons). I suppose the reason is that they constantly retire hair color merely a year after they come out and it gets really tiring! This red was the intense, gorgeous red I was looking for!

Lately, all I can find is blah reds. A few years back I remember lots of vibrant ruby red dyes, gorgeous metallic orange colors, deep/rich burgundy ones, etc. Lately there has been not much to choose from and I like different and vibrant. I had a great orangey-red years ago, that was retired a long time ago, and I can never find that color again. So in the past year I have been a lighter orangey red, a medium red, a dark burgundy red, a dark purple/red, medium auburn and you name it. I finally found the color I am looking for in ths Herbal Essence Hair Color (Disco Infern)...otherwise known as Intense Ruby Red. Here's the real kicker...THEY'VE DISCONTINUED IT!

I bought two boxes at my local Grocery Outlet store and my hubby helped me pick out the color, after all my red needed some renewing. I am glad I stumbled across them, it was $3.99 per box. I have a little longer than shoulder-length hair right now, but I need 1.5 boxes when I color my hair, otherwise there are pieces that didn't get covered and it looks funny when I'm done. 2 boxes is too much, but for $8 I can't go wrong. I didn't realize when I bought them they are the last two boxes anywhere (I went back to stock up and they were gone). I did a little research and yep, they retired this color (dang it). So I went on Amazon yesterday and bought 3 boxes to stock up on. They still have some on Amazon (a lot of sellers are selling them for $6), and some on Ebay. When the world is finally out, I'm not sure what I'll do (try a bright Henna color?), but maybe I'll switch my color, but for now I am LOVING this color. It suits my palish skin (yet I tan nicely in summer) and green eyes.

I have lighter hair so my hair takes to color well. This is definitely an intense ruby red, better desribed as an intense cherry red with bright pinkish tones to it (I was looking for a red with pink tones). After I had seen Aubrey O'Day on the Apprentice go from her blah blonde to a red, I told my hubby "I want that color, that's the color I'm looking for". I tried to analyze it and the best I could come up with is a coppery auburn red with pink tones to it (as opposed to burgundy, purple or orange tones they offer in stores mostly).

Herbal Essence hair color is so easy to use. They have gloves, instructions and you mix the colorant into the bottle of lotion (and shake like crazy). Use in a ventilated area (always read and follow the instructions properly) and put it on your head. Sometimes I just squirt it on and rub in with my hand, but you can get brushes to brush it on if you like (but you would need a bowl). I have a designated robe for dying my hair, it will get all over and will stain, so I put my bathroom mats aside as well and be sure not to get it on my face, neck or ears (if I do, I wash it off with water when I'm done). It also comes with a small tube of condtioner that smells very nice (fruity, somewhat floral) and it lasts me 3 uses. I use my own conditioner and this sometimes- it makes my hair soft and silky. It says that it helps keep the color, but I'm not sure that's true.

With reds, as any red dye, it will bleed for awhile every time you take a shower. I put an old towel on my pillow after I dye my hair. I notice the red running out with several showers, so yes it does fade, and I have to re-do about every month and a half. It's very vibrant the first few weeks, though. If you have DARK hair, it will make it a cherry cola color, but not lighten it (which is also beautiful). The smell when doing this hair dye is not overwhelming at all compared to other brands, but I also use fans in the bathroom and keep my door open.

As with any dye, this does dry hair out a bit and soemtimes can cause some hairs to come out or break off in half. I don't love that part of dying hair, so it's best to condition as best as possible and counteract what we do to our hair! It is also a very shiny color, if you add shine to your hair, it simply glows and I look younger.

I did notice they have a chart on the Herbal Essences website of what color to try when they've discontinued a color you use. I was not impressed to say the least, the one for this color was a non-permanent type and didn't look as Ruby Red as I wanted. I really don't know why companies need to turn over and constantly come up with new dye names and boxes when most people go to the store, they are looking for what they use and it's gone (not cool!).

Overall, I love love love this color, so Herbal Essences- PLEASE stop discontinuing great colors!

Clairol Herbal Essences Hair Color 54 Light Gold Brown

Clairol Herbal Essences Hair Color 54 Light Gold Brown

WELCOME THANKS FOR STOPPING BY CLAIROL HERBAL ESSENCES HAIR COLOR #54 AMBER SHIMMER (MSRP ??????) THE VALUE OF THIS ITEM IS PRICELE $$ - DISCONTINUED ...

Clairol Herbal Essence Color, 070 Black Stilettos-bright Black (pack Of 3)

Clairol Herbal Essence Color, 070 Black Stilettos-bright Black (pack Of 3)

Clairol Herbal Essence Color, 070 Black Stilettos-bright Black (Pack of 3)

Clairol Herbal Essences Hair Color, Xl2 Extra Light Blonde

Clairol Herbal Essences Hair Color, Xl2 Extra Light Blonde

Extra Blonde Color amplifying conditioner included Your Herbal Essences Extra Blonde Kit Contains:. ColorFused Gel. Developing Creme. Color-Amplifying...
Clairol Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Shampoo -- 10.17 fl oz

Clairol Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Shampoo -- 10.17 fl oz

Why We Love It:Shampoo with botanical silk cleans to reveal natural shineC'mon Get HappyBring a smile to your face with a luscious dose of radiance an...
Vitacost.com

Clairol Herbal Essences Bold 'n Brilliant Color 70 Bright Black

Clairol Herbal Essences Bold 'n Brilliant Color 70 Bright Black

Clairol Herbal Essences 70 Bright Black Free shipping with tracking numbers Please check out our other items Thank you

Clairol Herbal Essences Hair Color 48.5 Deep Copper Spicy Ginger Free Shipping

Clairol Herbal Essences Hair Color 48.5 Deep Copper Spicy Ginger Free Shipping

Pow WELCOME THANKS FOR STOPPING BY CLAIROL HERBAL ESSENCES HAIR COLOR #48.5 SPICY GINGER (MSRP ??????) THE VALUE OF THIS ITEM IS PRICELE $$ - DISCONTI...

Clairol Herbal Essences Bold 'n Brilliant Color 66 Dark Brown

Clairol Herbal Essences Bold 'n Brilliant Color 66 Dark Brown

Clairol Herbal Essences 66 Dark Brown Free shipping with tracking numbers Please check out our other items Thank you

Clairol Herbal Essence Color, 044 Paint The Town-deep Red (Pack of 3)

Clairol Herbal Essence Color, 044 Paint The Town-deep Red (Pack of 3)

Celebrate your non-stop vibrancy! Get dazzling, vibrant color and keep it fresh with 6 weekly treatments of our Color-Amplifying Conditioner. First, t...
    Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24    Next >>