Hewlett Packard hp-deskjet-3510-e-all-in-one-printer

Still bloaty software. Love the wireless

Dec 16, 2012

Pros:Wireless setup relatively easy.  Prints look nice.  Refillable cartridges.

Cons:Sneaky bloatware in setup.  Nags when cartridge is low.

The Bottom Line: Go ahead an buy it.  Its cheap and it works!

I had an old hp PSC1210 that lasted for over 5 years. Because I refill the cartridges, my printing costs were very low and the printers longevity is amazing! So I looked at the alternatives. In this price range, all the alternative all-in-ones at Walmart are pretty much the same: inkjet printing, wireless, dark grey/black color and all about the same size.

So I bought the Hp 3510.

Setup was interesting. I installed it to my desktop first, which required I connect the USB cable (included) momentarily to tell the printer my WEP password. Be careful! There's a setup option to remove the hp bloatware but you have to select the "customize" installation button. (I wish that they wouldn't make it so sneaky!) I installed the basic printer software and the HP update software. I ended up with only 2 new icons on my desktop, an 'HP shop" and an 'Hp utility. I removed the 'hp shop'. The 'utility' feature has a lot of junk that I really don't need.

I had a little trouble setting up my other PC's. First I shared the desktop printer, as I had previously, but then I thought, why keep my desktop on all the time? So I turned the printers "HP wireless direct" on and used this from my laptop. But then I realized that I needed to disconnect from my home network, and connect directly to the printer to use it, then reconnect to the network again. This would be a pain! I configured another laptop similarly. The next day I went back to fix it to use the home network and I found out that the laptops had reconfigured itself to connect through the internet! Cool!

I also connected a mac to the printer. Actually, I gave the install disk to my son and he did it. He said it didn't work, but when I came back the next day to fix it, it worked!

I tested the scanning feature. It works good on any of the PC laptops. I haven't tried it on the mac.

My old HP had the paper load and eject from the front but this one feeds in from the top back, so I had to move the new printer to a new spot. It only holds 10 to 15 pages. Make sure to put the page exit extension out or it spits the pages onto the floor.

The old printer had dedicated buttons to copy, scan etc. This one has a small LCD screen with menu options. The screen pops up to make it easier to see, but then you can't push the buttons. The buttons don't have good tactile feedback, I often had to push twice, and often it registered twice when I pushed twice. And the menu/button structure isn't very intuitive. There's an 'up' a 'down' to scroll through the menu and an 'OK' and a '-' (minus sign) but on the screen there's often 2 choices to select, one is the 'OK' button, another is the 'minus'. I thought minus meant 'abort'. "Abort" is an 'turn back' arrow.

Printed pages look good, I don't see any real differences between this printers output and the old one, but I'm not that particular. I don't see any glaring problems.

So ,it installs and works fine. I only gave it 4 stars because of the software/bloatware issues and the less than stellar user interface. I'll update this when I find out how easy it is to refill the ink cartridges.

Update 12/16/12
The software complained that the original ink cartridges were getting low after about 60-70 pages. So I refilled them with the ink I got from my old hp psc-1210. It was pretty easy, just a hypodermic needle poked into the holes on top of the cartridge. After a few inkjet cleaning pages (basically all black or all red etc.) to move the new ink into the cartridge the pages look fine.
The software complains about the inkjet being low, but it still prints. On my wife's windows 7 starter laptop, it complained that the cartridge was "low or counterfeit" but it still printed. Curiously, my vista PC, my sons mac and my daughters windows 7 didn't complain.

Hewlett Packard B2l56ab1h Deskjet 1510 E All In One

Hewlett Packard B2l56ab1h Deskjet 1510 E All In One

The Hewlett Packard PSC 1510 All-In-One InkJet Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB 1.1.

Hewlett Packard All In One886111537488 Deskjet Printer Model 3054 Brand

Hewlett Packard All In One886111537488 Deskjet Printer Model 3054 Brand

Color Printer, All-In-One Printer, Inkjet Printer

Hewlett Packard Dj 3520 E-all-in-one Wireless Printer, Free Shipping,

Hewlett Packard Dj 3520 E-all-in-one Wireless Printer, Free Shipping,

Listing Returns Policy FAQ Sales Tax About us Store Frequently Asked Questions Question: Do you have more information about this product? Answer: Unfo...

Hewlett Packard Q5880aaba Hp Psc 1510 All-in-one Printer

Hewlett Packard Q5880aaba Hp Psc 1510 All-in-one Printer

Hewlett Packard Envy 120 e-All-In-One Printer

Get a sleek design and versatility for premium printing in any room. Print lab-quality photos and everyday documents from virtually anywhere, scan to ...
Beach Camera.com

BuyDig.com

HP B2L56A#B1H HP Deskjet 1510 All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Copy/Print/Scan

HP B2L56A#B1H HP Deskjet 1510 All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Copy/Print/Scan

This HP Deskjet all-in-one offers easy printing, scanning and copying. It's simple from the start, with a quick setup and straightforward operation. G...
Hp Deskjet F380 All-in-one Printer

Hp Deskjet F380 All-in-one Printer

The Hewlett Packard DeskJet F380 All-In-One InkJet Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB.

Hp Deskjet 3520 E-all-in-one - Multifunction ( Printer / Copier / Scanner )

Hp Deskjet 3520 E-all-in-one - Multifunction ( Printer / Copier / Scanner )

Simple and efficient, the Hewlett Packard Deskjet printer is all that you need to get superior results. This Hewlett Packard 3520 inkjet printer has a...

HP B2L56A#B1H Deskjet 1510 All-in-One - multifunction printer ( color )

HP B2L56A#B1H Deskjet 1510 All-in-One - multifunction printer ( color )

HP Deskjet 1510 All-in-One - Multifunction printer - color - ink-jet - 8.5 in x 11.7 in (original) - Legal (216 x 356 mm) (media) - up to 4.5 ppm (cop...
MacMall