HP Pavilion dv7-6c20us 17.3" (750 GB, AMD A8 Quad-Core, 2.5 GHz, 6 GB) Notebook - Steel Gray - A7B09UA#ABA Reviews

HP Provides One Tough Cookie

Jun 14, 2012

• Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:Sturdy, easy to use, packed with the right hardware and software.

Cons:Some keys not positioned for comfort, tendency to pop out. Fingerprint system almost useless.

The Bottom Line: I would rate this 4 stars for its sturdiness, wase of use and performance

When I went looking for a 17" laptop, cost was secondary in my mind. I was looking for a minimum of 8GB of RAM and at least a 500GB hard drive. Everything else was gravy.

I looked at other laptops and saw most with less than 8GB, some with larger hard drives, some with DVD Read/Write capabilities and some with keyboard layouts that left me scratching my head as to the key size.

Then I stumbled on this beauty of a computer at a local CompUSA. The HP DV7 caught my eye first for the price, because it was on sale. Then I looked closer at the computer and found that it had my required 8GB of RAM, the 17" display and a 750 GB hard drive. I raised an eyebrow and looked even closer.

I've dealt with laptops that had a touchpad that blended into the computer, making it hard to tell where the touchpad started and ended. The touchpad on the DV7 is very obvious, smooth and very easy to manipulate.

The keyboard layout  had keys that were slightly bigger than my last laptop. The only fault I've seen on the keyboad to date is the location and size of the arrow keys, which are smaller than I like and put under the shift key, an awkward position in my opinion. I have also seen the number keys on the top of the keyboard sticking at awkward angles, like they had slightly popped out. Pressing on them results in the key popping back in.

The speed of the computer is adequate for the price, powered by an AMD A6 Quad Core processor. The 8GB of memory helps the overall speed of the system.

The most annoying part of the computer is the fingerprint reading system. I tried to set that up and found that it read my fingerprint intermittently at best. I stopped using that system.

Yet despite the cons, this system is very tough. I accidentally dropped it out of my backback, and practically screamed in terror that the screen might have cracked and my computer would become practically worthless. Yet when I set it up and powered it back on, it performed flawlessly. The only obvious damage was to one corner, which was badly scratched.

The most pleasant surprise of this computer was that it came with a Blu-Ray Player. This was the last selling point I needed to pick it up. The only bad part of that was that the software that plays the BRD's won't let you control it directly from the mouse. Yoiu have to open a separate control to do that.

Overall, I am pleased with my investment. I have a reasonably fast, sturdy computer that gets the job done when I need it!

Operating System: Windows
Internal Storage: DVD
Hard Drive (GB): Over 50

HP Pavilion 17 Laptop AMD A6 4GB RAM 750GB HDDwith Software

HP Pavilion 17 Laptop AMD A6 4GB RAM 750GB HDDwith Software

Think only a desktop can handle your everyday tasks? The HP Pavilion 17-f010us notebook will make you think again.
QVC

HP - Pavilion 11-e110nr 11 Touchscreen Notebook Computer, AMD A4-1250 1.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 50

HP Pavilion 11-e110nr 11 Touchscreen Notebook Computer, AMD A4-1250 1.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows 8.1 The compact, powerful HP Pavilion TouchSma...
Adorama

HP Pavilion Laptop With Amd QuadCore A46210 Processor

HP Pavilion Laptop With Amd QuadCore A46210 Processor

The HP Pavilion Laptop provides all the benefits of a desktop in a sleek, colorful package. Get astounding sound from BeatsAudioa,, AMD QuadCore proce...
hhgregg

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer With 17.3in. Screen AMD A6 Quad-Core Processor, f010us, Silver

17.3in. diagonal HD+ BrightView WLED-backlit display with a resolution of 1600 x 900. AMD A6 Quad-Core processor. 4GB of memory available to run your ...
Office Depot

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14-n218us Notebook PC - AMD A8-5545M 1.7GHz Quad-Core APU, 6GB DDR3L, 750GB HDD, 14.0 Touchscreen HD Display, Windows 8 64-bit - E8A83UA#ABA, Laptops

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14-n218us Notebook PC Boost your productivity with the HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14-n218us Notebook PC. This notebook PC is powere...
TigerDirect.com

HP Pavilion - 17t Touch i7 Laptop

HP Pavilion - 17t Touch i7 Laptop

HP Pavilion - 17t Touch i7 Laptop. The HP Pavilion Notebook delivers the speed you need to get things done. With industry-leading processors, you neve...
hp.com

HP Pavilion AllInOne Pc With Amd E23800 Accelerated Processor

HP Pavilion AllInOne Pc With Amd E23800 Accelerated Processor

Free up desk space with this elegant, slim design. Whether for entertainment or everyday computing, the HP Pavilion AllinOne takes your overall experi...
hhgregg

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer With 17.3in. Screen AMD A4 Quad-Core Processor, 17F071NR

17.3in. BrightView display with 1600 x 900 HD+ resolution delivers clear, vibrant picture quality. LED backlighting provides a thinner, more energy-ef...
Office Depot

HP Pavilion - 15t Windows 7 Laptop

HP Pavilion - 15t Windows 7 Laptop

HP Pavilion - 15t Windows 7 Laptop. Get the ultimate Windows experience with the crystal-clear HD[1] display optimized for Windows 7.[2].With BeatsAud...
hp.com