HP Pavilion dv7-6c20us 17.3" (750 GB, AMD A8 Quad-Core, 2.5 GHz, 6 GB) Notebook - Steel Gray - A7B09UA#ABA Reviews

HP Provides One Tough Cookie

Jun 14, 2012

• Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:Sturdy, easy to use, packed with the right hardware and software.

Cons:Some keys not positioned for comfort, tendency to pop out. Fingerprint system almost useless.

The Bottom Line: I would rate this 4 stars for its sturdiness, wase of use and performance

When I went looking for a 17" laptop, cost was secondary in my mind. I was looking for a minimum of 8GB of RAM and at least a 500GB hard drive. Everything else was gravy.

I looked at other laptops and saw most with less than 8GB, some with larger hard drives, some with DVD Read/Write capabilities and some with keyboard layouts that left me scratching my head as to the key size.

Then I stumbled on this beauty of a computer at a local CompUSA. The HP DV7 caught my eye first for the price, because it was on sale. Then I looked closer at the computer and found that it had my required 8GB of RAM, the 17" display and a 750 GB hard drive. I raised an eyebrow and looked even closer.

I've dealt with laptops that had a touchpad that blended into the computer, making it hard to tell where the touchpad started and ended. The touchpad on the DV7 is very obvious, smooth and very easy to manipulate.

The keyboard layout  had keys that were slightly bigger than my last laptop. The only fault I've seen on the keyboad to date is the location and size of the arrow keys, which are smaller than I like and put under the shift key, an awkward position in my opinion. I have also seen the number keys on the top of the keyboard sticking at awkward angles, like they had slightly popped out. Pressing on them results in the key popping back in.

The speed of the computer is adequate for the price, powered by an AMD A6 Quad Core processor. The 8GB of memory helps the overall speed of the system.

The most annoying part of the computer is the fingerprint reading system. I tried to set that up and found that it read my fingerprint intermittently at best. I stopped using that system.

Yet despite the cons, this system is very tough. I accidentally dropped it out of my backback, and practically screamed in terror that the screen might have cracked and my computer would become practically worthless. Yet when I set it up and powered it back on, it performed flawlessly. The only obvious damage was to one corner, which was badly scratched.

The most pleasant surprise of this computer was that it came with a Blu-Ray Player. This was the last selling point I needed to pick it up. The only bad part of that was that the software that plays the BRD's won't let you control it directly from the mouse. Yoiu have to open a separate control to do that.

Overall, I am pleased with my investment. I have a reasonably fast, sturdy computer that gets the job done when I need it!

Operating System: Windows
Processor: Other
Processor speed: over 1000
Screen Size: Greater than 15 inches
RAM: More than 256
Internal Storage: DVD
Hard Drive (GB): Over 50

HP Pavilion G6-2235us 15.6 Laptop (2.7 GHz AMD A6-4400M Accelerated Processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, SuperMulti DVD Burne

Features: Next Generation AMD A6-4400M Accelerated 2.7GHz up to 3.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory, Expandable to 8GB 750GB 5400RPM H...
HP - Pavilion dm1-4310nr 11.6 Notebook Computer, AMD E2-1800 1.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD,

HP Pavilion dm1-4310nr 11.6 Notebook Computer, AMD E2-1800 1.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Windows 8 64-Bit With T-Mobile 4G The HP Pavilion dm1-4310nr 1...
Adorama

HP Pavilion dm1-4310nr C2K41UA 11.6 LED Notebook AMD E2-1800 1.7GHz 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD AMD Radeon HD 7340 Windows 8

Super mobile. Surprisingly powerful. So cool.The power of a notebook in the size of a netbook. Thats the beauty ofthe HP Pavilion dm1-4310nr laptop co...
HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart AMD A8 6GB RAM 750GB HD w/Softwar

HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart AMD A8 6GB RAM 750GB HD w/Softwar

Power hungry? The HP Pavilion 15-p010us TouchSmart notebook delivers the speedy performance you demand--and an awesome entertainment experience to boo...
QVC

HP - Pavilion 17.3 Laptop - AMD A6-Series - 4GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Natural Silver/Ash Silver

Learn more about the New Windows With a 750GB hard drive, this 17.3 HP Pavilion 17-f010us laptop provides ample space to store pictures, videos, music...
Best Buy

HP Pavilion dv6-7115nr B5R01UAR 15.6 LED Refurbished Notebook AMD A8-4500M 1.9GHz 8GB DDR3 750GB HDD BD Combo AMD Radeon HD 764

HP Pavilion dv6-7115nr B5R01UAR 15.6 LED Refurbished Notebook, AMD A8-4500M 1.9GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, BD Combo, AMD Radeon HD 7640G, Windows 7 Home...
HP Pavilion 17 Laptop AMD A6 4GB RAM 750GB HDDwith Software

HP Pavilion 17 Laptop AMD A6 4GB RAM 750GB HDDwith Software

Think only a desktop can handle your everyday tasks? The HP Pavilion 17-f010us notebook will make you think again.
QVC

HP Pavilion AllInOne Pc With Amd E23800 Accelerated Processor

HP Pavilion AllInOne Pc With Amd E23800 Accelerated Processor

Free up desk space with this elegant, slim design. Whether for entertainment or everyday computing, the HP Pavilion AllinOne takes your overall experi...
hhgregg