HP Photosmart 6510 B211a All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

HP Photosmart 6510 B211a All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Wireless is the plus

Nov 28, 2011 (Updated Sep 30, 2012)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Affordable
All-in-one
4x6 photo, letter, legal, some envelope sizes
Wireless / USB connection
Duplex printing

Cons:No custom sizes or sectional checks
Letter size scanner
Ink life
20sec start-up
No FAX

The Bottom Line: Buy this printer if you want the HP brand, wireless, and duplex print capability - and provided you only care about standard paper sizes. Warning: Quality is not the greatest!

I was seeking to replace an ailing Canon PIXMA MP500 all-in-one. I settled on this HP model because it has a basic set of features, wireless capability, and an affordable price. What I didn't realize was how much flexibility the wireless provides. For example, you can use the unit from any computer in your household that connects to your wireless gateway router, it's not necessary to wire it to any other computer, period. One caveat: You will have to download and install the HP driver software on the other computers. Once that's done, however, it's easy to scan or print to any computer at will. You can even send print jobs to it over Internet using HP's http://www.eprintcenter.com website. The unit supports automatic duplexing (double sided) printing and also supports printing from your iPod Touch or iPhone using a free HP ePrint app, available from the Apple App Store.

I was a little disappointed to discover that the printer is optimized just for common paper stock sizes (4x6 photo, letter, legal, monarch or #10 envelopes). Beyond these, it doesn't support manual feed or smaller forms (like 3x5 cards, individual bank checks, or even sectional page checks).

It will take an SD flash card OK and will print photos straight from it, handy if you want a quick copy without having to fire up a computer. There's also direct upload capability to HP's Snapfish photo service built-in, and some interesting apps, like weather forecasts, word puzzles, news that are available.

Overall, I'm giving this printer four stars for its features, price, and flexibility. I'd give it five stars if it could accomodate smaller stock sizes and bank checks and started up a little faster. Those are the only downsides.

---
Update to original review, 9/30/2012:

It's been almost exactly one year since I bought the printer and unfortunately now I wish I'd never bought it, as it failed just last week. Furthermore, the inability to handle custom stock sizes, slow start-up, and clunky and expensive printing are ultimately deal breakers. To add pain to injury, HP sells similar 564XL Photo ink cartridges, which unless you pay careful attention to the packaging, are NOT the correct 564XL Black replacement cartridges for this unit! Why would they ever give two different cartidges the same part number is beyond me, but they did, and that's a separate mess. The wireless and email/web print capabilities of this printer are cool, but other manufacturers provide those now, too. I've just swapped it out for a Canon MX712 and I'm already happier. I can no longer recommend this product!

Operating System: Windows

Versatile and reliable, HP Photosmart 6510 is an e-all-in-one printer that prints lab-quality photos and text, in seconds. This HP inkjet printer has ...

ISO Speed: Up to 11 ppm black, Up to 7.5 ppm color Scan Resolution: Up to 19,200 dpi (Enhanced); Scan Type: Flatbed Copy Resolution: Up to 600 dpi (bl...