Maytag MDB9150A 24 in. Built-in Dishwasher

Splish Splash the Dishes are Taking a Bath!

Jul 11, 2004 (Updated Jul 21, 2004)

Pros:Washes well, quiet, customizable racks, top rack can be removed, utensil bin divides into two

Cons:Sometimes the handle sticks and requires an extra tug when opening the machine

The Bottom Line: After running the Bottom Line through this dishwasher, it is sparkling clean – and singing this song, “Splish Splash, I was takin’ a bath Long about a Saturday night ...”

During the Great Kitchen Remodel, we purchased this Maytag Dishwasher. Our old dishwasher had a rusted bottom, causing hidden leaks, which required all sorts of lovely repairs. Since the subfloor needed to be replaced, why not just redo the entire kitchen as we had been wanting to do for years. Part of the remodel included choosing a new dishwashing machine. And I’m glad we chose this one.

Description

We selected a bisque colored front for our dishwasher. It also comes in black, white and stainless steel. The measurements are 35" high x 24" wide x 24" deep. One of the selling points for us is that this dishwasher has a stainless steel interior. We once owned a dishwasher that only had a stainless steel bottom, and the sides rusted out ... so it was important for us to make sure we purchased a dishwasher with a complete stainless steel interior.

The front of the dishwasher has classic, simple lines. A plastic recessed handle opens and closes the machine. Beneath this is a microprocessor touch-pad control panel with a variety of options, which include: Auto Clean, 3 Wash Cycles, Rinse Only, Tough Scrub Plus, Sanitize, Heated Dry, Extra Rinse, Lock. Each button has a light above it to indicate when the option has finished its cycle or is working.

Inside the dishwasher are a top and bottom tier that easily roll out for loading / unloading dishes. The racks are constructed of DuraGuard extra-durable nylon with ball-tipped tines.

When standing in front of the dishwasher and looking at the top rack, you will see five separate vertical sections. The section at the left is 2" higher than the other sections, creating a lifted platform to better hold squat items such as mugs or teacups. The left and right racks also have flip racks to optionally place over each section to hold small or odd-shaped items so that they don’t bounce around the dishwasher. The upper rack can also be removed to accommodate oversized pots or dishes in the bottom rack.

The bottom of the dishwasher also has separate sections, but they are arranged horizontally. The left side of the washer has a Stack-Rack shelf. When raised, there is room to stack cookie sheets or pizza pans. With the Stack-Rack down, there are now two levels (glasses, teacups and mugs can be loaded on the two tiers). The lower rack also has Fold_Away tines that can be lowered to provide more space for pots, pans and other large items.

The utensil basket is a unique design. The basket has 3 bins on the left and 3 bins on the right. (Two of the bins have slotted hinged lids that can be lifted or can remain in place. The handles of utensils can fit through the slots, or smaller items can be placed in the utensil bins and the lids closed to keep them in place.) Flip two locks on the basket, and the basket splits in half – each half with its own handle! Use one basket or both of them. There is an area in the bottom rack at the front where each narrower basket can sit side by side across the width of the machine.

The inside of the dishwasher door contains compartments for soap and a rinse aid such as JetDry. The manufacturer recommends washing the following materials in this machine: aluminum (except anodized), glass, plastics (in top rack only), stainless steel.

Using the Dishwasher

First I’ll explain the settings I use on the dishwasher. I load the dishwasher, place the soap in the container located in the door, close the door, which automatically latches shut. Then using the control pad I select “Auto Clean”. The dishwasher starts and automatically does the dry cycle as well. When finished a light shines on the door indicating the machine is done cleaning.

This machine has a choice of Cycles:

Auto Clean – adjusts to each load and provides a customized mix of cleaning, energy and water usage.

Heavy Wash – long cycle for heavily dirtied dishes. (Uses 9.9 gallons of water.)

Normal Wash – for average dirty dishes. (Uses between 6 and 8 gallons of water.)

Light Wash – shortest cycle for dishes that are lightly dirty. (Uses 4.1 gallons of water.)

Rinse Only – ideal for partial loads in the washer that won’t be washed until the dishwasher is fully loaded. Helps to control odor. (Uses 2.1 gallons of water.)

Tough Scrub Plus – this selection can be combined with any Wash option except Rinse Only. Tough Scrub adds heat and wash time to the chosen cycle.

Sanitize – choose this with Auto Clean or any Wash cycle (expect Rinse Only) to sanitize dishes. When the sanitation cycle is complete, a light goes on.

Extra Rinse – adds an additional rinse cycle. The manufacturer states that an extra rinse can help in hard water situations. (Note that the Heavy Wash cycle automatically includes an extra rinse.)

Heated Dry – dry dishes faster. This activates the heating element during the drying period. If this option is not selected, dishes may still retain some moisture when the washer is finished.

Drain/Off – select this to drain the dishwasher and then turn it off. Press the button twice to turn off the dishwasher without draining it.

Delay/Resume – automatically programs the dishwasher to start at a later time. The amount of time is entered by how many hours later you wish the washer to start (choose between 1 and 9 hours).

Lock – This option locks the dishwasher controls so they cannot be accidentally activated or reset. The lock does not physically lock the dishwasher.

My Experience

This dishwasher is easy to operate. We purchased it in 2001 during our Great Kitchen Remodel, and the dishwasher has never given us a problem. It cleans the dishes very well, too. One thing I do not place in the dishwasher are metallic eating and serving utensils. I’ve found in the past that washing silverware in an automatic dishwasher shortens its life span. I blame this on the hard water in our area.

The racks are roomy and nicely divided for a variety of dish-loading layouts. The manufacturer states this dishwasher can hold 10 place settings. I use the top rack to load mugs, glasses, small plates, bowls and larger dishwasher-safe cooking utensils such as Melamine mixing spoons. The bottom rack holds plates, bowls, pots, pans with a bin for utensils. The instruction manual has pictorial layouts for different dish placement options.

I keep the utensil basket as one unit and place it in the center front of the dishwasher, removing it when I need extra room. However, the utensil basket can be unlocked and split into two smaller baskets, which offers more space options when loading the machine.

It is not necessary to clean plates before placing them in the dishwasher; however, it is recommended to remove large food particles and bones. Also rinse tomato-based sauces and foods from dishes before loading them into the machine. (If this is not done, the tomato may discolor certain parts of the dishwasher interior.)

Should something dribble down the front of the dishwasher, it is easy to clean with the swipe of a cloth. If I had to pick something to complain about, it would be that sometimes the handle sticks and requires an extra tug to open the machine. In this dishwasher, I typically wash glassware, Corelle plates, bowls and mugs, Melamine, Pyrex.

Automatic Dishwasher Detergents

I have two dishwasher detergents that I like to use and have found work well with this machine. One of them is Electrasol 2-in-1 Tabs, and the other is Cascade 2-in-1 Action Pacs. The Electrasol has the JetDry powerball included in the tablet. The Cascade is powered by Dawn to help cut grease. Both of these detergents also clean my dishes so they are streak free. To use either of these, just set the “tabs” in the soap container.

Summary

We love this dishwasher are happy that we bought it. Considering that it cost us $730 at our local appliance store, I’m glad this was a good purchase! We use our dishwasher every day, turning it on in the evening. This is a quiet dishwasher, which is great considering that the kitchen abuts the livingroom. Conversation between people and the normal television volume are easy to hear when the dishwasher is cleaning. This machine looks as good as the day we purchased it. Definitely a good buy!

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Additional Information

Incoming water temperature should be 120-140 degrees F. (49-60 degrees C.) To properly activate the detergent and thoroughly clean dishes.

Full One Year Warranty / Limited Warranty for succeeding years

Maytag
One Dependability Square
Newton, Iowa 50208

Toll-free Phone (USA): 800-688-9900
Toll-free Phone (Canada): 800-688-2002
(Monday - Friday, 8 am - 8 pm Eastern Time)

Please read my other reviews:

Oneidea Premier Flatware

Ginsu Knife Set with Wooden Block

Farberware 12" x 18" Cutting Board with Microban

Calphalon Professional Nonstick II Sauce Pans

T-Fal Perfection Saute Pan

KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Mixer

West Bend Automatic Egg Cooker

Braun Coffee Grinder (and flax seed)

Le Creuset Bean Pot with recipe