Get the extended warranty!

Aug 21, 2006

Pros:Sleek design.

Cons:Very unreliable. Utensil basket has never shut properly. Doesn't clean dishes well.

The Bottom Line: Stay away from Whirlpool. If you must purchase one, get the extended warranty.

We replaced a 15 year old Kenmore dishwasher that honestly the only thing wrong with it was the racks were starting to rust. We bought a Whirlpool Gold dishwasher. First of all, it wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be. It also never really cleaned the dishes well, especially those on the top rack. It developed a leak after one year... easily fixed. It is now 4 years old and has literally only been working 3 months out of this year. We are getting ready to have the repairman out for the fourth time since March. The first time, the water circulating motor went out. The second and third times, the electronic board has gone out. I thought we were finished for a while, but it has only been working a couple weeks and the electronic board has gone out again. There is a lemon clause in our extended warranty contract that is a problem happens 3 times, they will replace the machine. Unfortunately for me, the repair company didn't report one of the electronic board failures, stating they should have replaced another part with it the first time in order for the problem to not happen again. So, here I am again washing dishes by hand for another month. I certainly have gotten my money's worth out of this extended warranty, unfortunately, I'll have to put up with this darn dishwasher until 2008! Whirlpool used to mean quality... not anymore.