Maytag PYE2300 Electric Dryer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

The Maytag Performa performs for me.

Oct 16, 2001 (Updated Oct 16, 2001)

Pros:Quiet, energy efficient, less drying time.

Cons:The location of the door

The Bottom Line: Has four different Temperature options as well as Wrinkle Free options.

Recently, I was forced to buy a new washer and I was having problems with the dryer. It was time to cut down my drying time from 1 hour to 30 minutes or less. It was killing my electric bill! I could have had the old one fixed, but come to find out, it would have cost about $180.00 dollars. That’s over half the cost of a new dryer. I was going to wait until it totally broke down, but since I was getting the new washer, I just decided to go ahead and purchase the dryer as well.

When my new appliances arrived, I immediately began what I thought would turn out to be a whole days worth of laundry. I had 5 of my own loads and 4 of my daughter’s. Well, the washer turned out to be more than I expected (follow the link at the end of this review), and I was able to turn 9 loads of wash into just 4. I thought with the loads being so big, it would take more time to dry. But that was not the case. Even the largest load only took about 35 minutes to dry. I can’t wait to see the difference in my electric bill!

MAYTAG PERFORMA AUTO DRY DRYER - PYE/G2300,3300

Normally I would put my dislikes of a product near the end of my review, but this is a different case. After the appliances were installed I went to check them out. The first thing I noticed right off the bat, was the door to the dryer. It is a front loader, but instead of opening from the right, it opened from the left. My laundry room is really small and the dryer sits right at the door of the laundry room so opening this way does cause some small problems. I had to push my dryer almost catty corner in order to make room for me to stand there and fold the clothes. I just keep telling myself, it will all be worth it when the electric bill comes in. Other then the door, I love everything else the dryer has.

My Maytag Performa has only 2 controls, but the other model has 4. First I will tell you about mine.

Temperature - there are several choices for this particular control. Regular is for sturdy cottons, Medium for wrinkle free/permanent press, or lightweight cottons, Low for heat sensitive items, and Air Fluff for those items that just need freshening. I only use the Regular since most of my clothing is heavy cotton but my daughter used the Air Fluff to toss in her work shirts to avoid ironing.

Select Cycle - This control is for desired setting. More Dry, for large bulky loads, Auto Dry Regular Fabrics, for cottons and linens, Auto Dry Wrinkle Free Fabrics, used for wrinkle free cottons - synthetic fabrics - double knits and permanent press, Time Dry/Air Fluff, can be used for regulating your drying time.

At the end of the cycle on the Auto Dry, the clothes are cooled for 10 minutes to reduce wrinkling. At the end of the Wrinkle Free cycle, the clothes are cooled for about 20 minutes to reduce wrinkling. On most washers, if clothes are not removed immediately, then you have to let the dryer run for a few minutes, but on some of the Maytag Performa’s there is an Extended Wrinkle Out control that provides additional unheated tumbling time. I don’t need this feature since I am always there to remove the clothes. I am one that hates ironing and will avoid it at all costs.

Another feature that are on the other Maytag Performa’s that I don’t have is the End Of Cycle Signal. This is volume control for your signal. You can choose from Off, Soft, or Loud. Mine has a signal that I cannot control and it is a soft signal. If I don’t listen for it, I don’t hear it. My old washer signaled three times near the end of the drying time, but the Maytag Performa has only one. I like this because the three signals used to drive me crazy. Since I can barely hear the signal on the new dryer, I just make sure to check before the drying time is up.

DIRECTIONS FOR USING YOUR MAYTAG PERFORMA

Select your temperature, load clothes loosely, select your drying cycle, push in the Control dial to start.

NOTES

1. If you use the Air Fluff temperature, the setting requires longer drying time.

2. The Control Dial can be turned in either direction for selecting cycles. Once the dryer has started, the dial will not advance at a specific rate during the Auto Dry Cycles. At first the dial may not move forward at all but toward the end, it will be advance at a more regular rate. This is supposed to be a normal operation.

3. Always clean your lint filter. Not only does this shorten your drying time, but it operates more energy efficient. I clean my filter after each load.

4. Load dryer properly. Over loading can restrict tumbling which in turn will cause uneven drying and excessive wrinkling.

5. Clean old ducts before installing your new dryer

6. Make sure your vent is not crushed or clogged. This will allow your dryer to exhaust air easily.

MY OVERALL OPINION

This is the perfect dryer for my family. I have dried heavy loads and held my breath each time I set the time for 30 minutes. My clothes have not taken more then 35 minutes to dry and I find this to be more energy efficient then my old dryer. The dryer is extremely quiet, even with the end of cycle signal. I don’t like the door but have found a way to work around it, and I could use the signal to be louder. But, I would not trade it in.

WARRANTY

The dryer does come with a one year warranty that states, if any part fails during normal use within one year of original retail purchase, the appliance will be repaired or replaced free of charge. This warranty is only good in the US or Canada.

CONTACTING MAYTAG

US - 1-800-688-9900
Canada - 1-800-688-2002
USA TTY (for deaf and hearing impaired) 1-800-688-2080

Or write to - Maytag Appliances Sales Company, Attn: CAIR Center, P.O. Box 2370, Cleveland, TN 37320-2370. Make sure you have your serial number and your phone number available.

And of course they have a website - http://www.maytag.com

For info on the Maytag Performa Oversized Capacity Washer, just follow this link http://www.epinions.com/content_42661351044

Maytag Dryer. 3.8 cu. ft. Electric Dryer in White MED7500YW

Maytag Dryer. 3.8 cu. ft. Electric Dryer in White MED7500YW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The only thing that's small about this front load electric dryer is its footprint. Install it almost anywhere a...
Home Depot

MED7500YW Compact Electric Dryer With 3.8 cu. ft.  Capacity  11 Automatic Cycles

MED7500YW Compact Electric Dryer With 3.8 cu. ft. Capacity 11 Automatic Cycles

The only thing that39s small about this front load electric dryer is its footprint Install it almost anywhere and still get a 38 cu ft commercial-qual...
AppliancesConnection

Maytag 7 Cu. Ft. Bravosa Electric Dryer

Maytag 7 Cu. Ft. Bravosa Electric Dryer

Depend of this Maytag BravosA Electric Dryer to get the job done. Count on this dryer to get your largest loads dried every time.
hhgregg

Maytag 7.0 cu. ft. Centennial Electric Dryer w/ Wrinkle Control - White 7.0 cu. ft. and greater

This 7.0 cu. ft. extra-large capacity Maytag Centennial MEDC300BW electric dryer can accommodate your largest loads and provides enough space to evenl...

Maytag Maxima White Electric Dryer - MED3100DW

Maytag Maxima White Electric Dryer - MED3100DW

7.4 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ Advanced Moisture Sensing/ Extra Interior Fin/ Wrinkle Prevent Option/ Rapid Dry Cycle/ High-Efficiency Drying/ Durable Glass Wi...
Abt Electronics

Maytag MGD6000AW 27 7.4 cu. ft. Gas Steam Dryer with 8 Cycles and 5 Temp. Settings in White MGD6000AW

From America's No.1 preferred laundry brand comes a premium laundry experience that keeps your household's clothes, fabrics and special items ready fo...
HomeClick

MEDC200XW 29 Centennial Electric Dryer with 7.0 cu. ft. Capacity  SuperSize Capacity

MEDC200XW 29 Centennial Electric Dryer with 7.0 cu. ft. Capacity SuperSize Capacity

Strong and simple This 70 Centennial electric dryer features Maytag Commercial Technology to get the job done right while the Quiet Series 100 sound p...
AppliancesConnection

Maytag Dryer. Maxima 7.4 cu. ft. Electric Dryer with Steam in Metallic Slate, ENERGY STAR MED7100DC

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Enjoy premium drying performance with a stainless steel dryer drum that's not only built to last but looks grea...
Home Depot

Maytag Centennial White Electric Dryer - MEDC300BW

Maytag Centennial White Electric Dryer - MEDC300BW

7.0 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ Maytag Commercial Technology/ IntelliDry Sensor/ Wrinkle Control Option/ 4 Temperature Settings/ White Finish
Abt Electronics

Maytag MGDB950YW 29 7.3 cu. ft. Bravos XL HighEfficiency Gas Steam Dryer in White MGDB950YW

HomeClick