GE JBP66 Electric Range

GE Spectra 30 in. Free-Standing QuickClean Electric Range JBP66 Almost Gets Me Cooking

Apr 25, 2003 (Updated May 6, 2003)

Pros:Lots of features, easy to use and keep clean.

Cons:The radiant surface can be dangerous for children

The Bottom Line: I love my range and highly recommend it. I have no complaints at all.

In the last year since I wrote a review of WhirlpoolRange I bought a new one. The one I chose is the General Electric GE Spectra 30 in. Free-Standing QuickClean Electric Range JBP66 which I am reviewing.

About this range including the features:

This range has a radiant surface. I wanted that but please note, I think if you have children, these are not a good choice. The risk of getting burnt (just my opinion) is much higher than with raised burners. You have to realize that even after the oven is turned off, the surface will retain heat a bit longer than raised burners. Even though the controls say off and nothing is lit up, it will feel hot to the touch so be careful if you choose this range.

This is a self-cleaning electric range as the name suggests. I wouldn’t buy one that isn’t. A little about the self-cleaning feature: The range must be completely cool before latching the door and turning the oven temperature know to clean. I leave the house when I clean the oven. I always have so it is just habit. In spite of the fact that the smell is much less with my GE than it was with my Whirlpool and others I have had in the past, there is an odor and I’d rather not be breathing it in.

It takes a little over 4 hours for the clean cycle to finish. There are a couple of features within this one that I really like. I can change the clean time to, let’s say 3 hours if I know I will be home then. The range may not be as clean as if I cleaned it for 5 hours but that really depends on how dirty it was to begin with. The other feature I like is the one that allows me to set hour and minute pads for when I want the oven to begin cleaning. I like this because in the past I would plan to clean my oven and then leave the house and forget. This way, my junior moments won’t catch up with me! The latch that gets moved before cleaning is really easy to move.

The oven has a long handle with wide grips so even the largest hands can use this.

It comes with 2 metal racks and has 4 levels inside that you can move the racks to.

A light (Which is on the panel with all the other features.) goes on whenever the oven door opens. There is a 14- inch long by 6 inches high window that you can see through.

There is a nice, spacious, easy to slide open drawer underneath the unit.

This range has so many features I will try to simplify it enough so that you will not get lost but not so much that you won’t know whether you would like it.

I think it is very attractive. It has a black/gray-speckled top, which is pretty and also hides any spills nicely unlike my previous white top. I will get into cleaning later, but cleaning the top is so simple, I just love it!

~Just as any range there are 4 burners with 2 of them smaller than the other 2.

~The buttons (They aren’t buttons but pads that are touched.) include:

~Oven control settings which is a knob that turns from warm to 550 degrees. On that is also the clean and broil feature. There are 3 lights next to that knob. One lights up whenever the oven is heating and it flashes when the oven automatically turns off. (It turns off if you have set the timer.) The flashing light reminds me to shut off the temperature knob. The second light is for the oven mentioned above and the third light is the preheated light. This glows when the oven reaches whatever temperature I have chosen. I love this feature. I am not much of a cook and usually ignored the “preheat” directions, but not so now because it is so easy to know when my oven is preheated.

~I have a cook time on/off pad so I can set the amount of time I want my food to cook. Rather than the buzzing I used to hear, the oven shuts off

~The hour and minute pads can be set the time up to 11 hours and 59 minutes!

~The clock pad gets pressed before setting the clock.

~You can use the start time on/off pad with the hour and minute pads if you want to delay starting your oven.

Keeping my range clean:

Most spills I just wipe up with a damp paper towel. If something gets stuck onto any part of the outside of the range, I then will use warm, soapy water as is suggested. The range is very easy to keep clean and keep clean.

Although I have never done this, the oven door is removable if you want to clean it separately or get into spaces perhaps not reachable but I find between my general cleaning the self cleaning feature, this range looks brand new and I’ve had it for about 6 months. You can clean the glass on the oven door I mentioned above with glass cleaner if you want. The oven shelves can be cleaned with steel wool but that is the only part of this range that any time of abrasive cleaner should be used.

The drawer mentioned above can be removed for easy cleaning as well. I never have taken it out until now just to see what it was like to do. You tilt up the front and it slides right out and it goes back in easily.

The size of this range is 29' 7/8" wide, 44' 7/16" high and 27' 3/4" deep.

The warranty:

Any part of the range, which fails because of a defect in materials or workmanship, is covered for one year including labor. If the cooktop cracks, discolors, or if the pattern wears off (remember mine is speckled) or if any of the radiant surface units burn out, these will be replaced for five years. During this time, though, you will have to pay for labor. I have had no problem with my range and have never had to call customer service for a repair problem.

My final thoughts:

I love my GE Range and highly recommend it. The radiant heat burners heat up quickly, they are pretty and easy to clean. Other than making sure your children are careful (Since the burners aren’t visible and using it as a top for their Barbie dollhouse may look appealing.) it is a wonderful appliance.

I hope I have reviewed this thoroughly but if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave one.

****************************

If you would like to read about other products in my house I have left a few links!

Hoover Steam Vac Widepath

Popcorn Maker
Blender

GE Range. 5.0 cu. ft. Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Oven in Black JBP15DMBB

GE Range. 5.0 cu. ft. Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Oven in Black JBP15DMBB

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The GE 30 in. Self-Cleaning Freestanding Electric Range features a dual-element bake feature that alternates th...

GE 30 Electric Range

GE 30 Electric Range

There's a lot of room for great meals in this GE Electric Range. The 5.3 cu. ft. capacity allows you to cook the entire meal at one while the coil hea...
hhgregg

GE 36 Built-In Electric Cooktop White - JP626WKWW

GE 36 Built-In Electric Cooktop White - JP626WKWW

Infinite Heat Rotary Controls/ Removable One-Piece Drip Bowls/ Porcelain-Enameled Lift-Up Cooktop/ Upfront Controls/ White On White Finish
Abt Electronics

GE Cooktop. Cafe 30 in. Radiant Electric in Black with 5 Elements including Power Boil Element CP350STSS

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Whip up delicacies with power and precision atop this GE Cafe 30 in. Smooth Surface Built-In Electric Cooktop. ...

GE PHP900DMBB Profile 30' Black Electric Induction Cooktop

GE PHP900DMBB Profile 30' Black Electric Induction Cooktop

GE PHP900DMBB Profile 30' Black Electric Induction Cooktop GE PHP900DMBB 30' Induction Cooktop with 4 Induction Elements, Electronic Touch Controls, 1...
PP945WMWW GE Profile 30“ Electric Touch Control Cooktop - White on Black

PP945WMWW GE Profile 30“ Electric Touch Control Cooktop - White on Black

PP945WMWW GE Profile 30 Electric Touch Control Cooktop - White on Black APPEARANCE Flush Mount Installation Capability Patterned Glass Surface Framel...
US Appliance

GE 36 Stainless Steel Profilea,, Induction Electric Cooktop

GE 36 Stainless Steel Profilea,, Induction Electric Cooktop

Enjoy fast, efficient cooking with this GE 36 Profilea,, Induction Electric Cooktop. It features 5 heating elements and 19 control settings. The pan p...
hhgregg

$1999.99

GE Profile 36 Stainless Electric Cooktop - PP980SMSS

GE Profile 36 Stainless Electric Cooktop - PP980SMSS

Electronic Touch Controls/ Precise Digital Control System/ Pan Presence Sensor/ Dual Size Ribbon Element/ Warming Zone/ Stainless Steel Finish
Abt Electronics

GE Cooktop. 21 in. Smooth Surface Electric in White with 2 Elements JP256WMWW

GE Cooktop. 21 in. Smooth Surface Electric in White with 2 Elements JP256WMWW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The GE 21 in. Radiant Electric Cooktop features 6 in. and 9 in. dual heating elements to help accommodate diffe...

GE PHP960DMBB Profile 36' Black Electric Induction Cooktop

GE PHP960DMBB Profile 36' Black Electric Induction Cooktop

GE PHP960DMBB Profile 36' Black Electric Induction Cooktop GE PHP960DMBB 36' Induction Cooktop with 5 Induction Elements, Electronic Touch Controls, 1...