Whirlpool ED5FTGX 25.3 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator Reviews

Whirlpool ED5FTGX 25.3 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Whirlpool 25.3 cubic foot side-by-side: Well-designed fridge that more than suits my needs

Feb 8, 2010

Pros:Well-designed and handy, attractive, Energy Star

Cons:Shelving seems kind of flimsy

The Bottom Line: I'm pleased with this refrigerator so far it's very well-designed and handy, and it has the features I wanted, including a water filter and an Energy Star rating.

I grew up near a Whirlpool factory, so my appliance experience is mostly limited to their brand. So when I purchased a new house that came with free Whirlpool appliances, I was somewhat relieved to know what I'd be getting. I chose to upgrade the refrigerator the Whirlpool ED5FTGX 25.3 cubic foot side-by-side refrigerator. I didn't know that I necessarily needed a side-by-side, but it was so shiny and pretty, and it had a built-in water filter — I just couldn't resist it.

My first impressions of the fridge were that I was impressed at how roomy it seemed for a side-by-side, and that the shelveing was awesome — there are all these grooves on the inside that you slide the shelves into, and there are a bunch of them, so the shelves are really adjustable. For someone like me who gets oddly annoyed when something won't fit on a shelf, they're just amazing.

I should provide this warning now: I am not married and don't have kids, and it's usually just me at the house with the boyfriend here part of the time. So I don't keep my refrigerator packed with food, and there's not a lot of refrigerator abuse in my household. So in reading this, you might want to keep in mind that my needs in a fridge might be different than others.

Space
My key factors on if a refrigerator has enough space are pretty simple: Can I adjust the shelves so I can stand up a 2-liter of soda, and can I fit a large pizza box in the refrigerator part and a large frozen pizza box in the freezer part? This refrigerator passed both tests easily.

Ice maker/water filter
The ice make works fine, and doesn't seem any louder than most. There are two options, cubed and crushed. The cubes are half moon-shaped. The crushed ice works OK, it's crushed pretty small. For some reason, it always comes out kind of crazy and pieces tend to miss my glass and get on the floor. There's also a handy light that you can turn on in the area where the ice comes out. Another great feature is that the ice/water dispenser has a lock you can turn on. I don't use it, but I would think that'd be good if you have kids. The water filter works fine. One weird thing I've noticed is that the water is cool, but not cold. That's kind of strange coming from a refrigerator — most of the ones I've gotten water out of, the water's been ice cold.

Appearance
This really is a great-looking fridge. I have the black model, but it also comes in white and stainless steel, I think. It has a matte finish, but it's still very sleek and streamlined. I think it looks much more expensive than it actually is. The inside is all white and fairly attractive, as far as refrigerators go.

The refrigerator side
The refrigerator side has all those nice adjustable shelves, like I mentioned, and then the little holders on the side for condiments and such. These are also adjustable, though not as much as the shelves. The shelves are clear plastic, and the two drawers at the bottom are clear plastic. I haven't made any major messes yet, but they seem pretty easy to remove and clean.

The controls for the refrigerator, freezer and water filter are both at the top of the refrigerator, in the front, which is a very handy place for them — no sticking your hand through the cold refrigerator like with some older fridges.

The freezer side
The freezer side has wire shelves, which are adjustable but less so than the refrigerator-side shelves. There's also a nice big plastic drawer at the bottom. The side holders are hard plastic, like on the fridge side, but they aren't adjustable. The ice maker's right at about the top third of the freezer, which for me is a perfect height.

Other notes
— This refrigerator is an Energy Star appliance. Since I got it when I moved, I can't vouch for any decrease or increase in energy from it's purchase.
— While the exterior looks sturdy, I have some concerns about the shelving and drawers in this fridge. They look and feel a little flimsy. I don't keep a lot in the refrigerator, so it's not a big deal for me, but if I did, I might be concerned. I recently filled one shelf with some sports drinks I'd bought, and it seemed to be sagging in the middle a little bit. Reading through some of the other reviews of this refrigerator, it seemed that others had problems with them, so I'm keeping an eye on them.
— Whirlpool has a good Web site where you can register your products online, and it also has PDF versions of their appliances' instruction manuals that you can download. I highly recommend downloading the manual...I find the PDF version much easier to find when I'm trying to figure something out. I have all my appliances' manuals in a folder on my laptop, and it's been really handy.

Overall thoughts
I've had this refrigerator for several months, and I've been very pleased so far. Everything in it is very handy. My only concern thus far is the shelving, but since I'm not one to load down my refrigerator, I'm not that worried about it.

For a one- or two-person household, a 25.3 cubic foot refrigerator is more than ample space — there are plenty of empty shelves and drawers in my fridge. If you have a large household, though, you may want to consider looking at larger sizes.

Obviously, I can't say much about the durability yet, I'll update this review as time goes on if anything goes wrong. While I can't say for sure how durable it is, I would recommend this refrigerator based on its other qualities.

Price and availability
I got this refrigerator as part of a package with my new house, but I believe the black and white models cost around $800, while the stainless steel is closer to $1000. You can find it at places that sell Whirlpool appliances, like Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot, and at builder's supplies.

Whirlpool 24.6 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator w/ In-Door-Ice Plus - WHITE

Whirlpool 24.6 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator w/ In-Door-Ice Plus - WHITE

Now you can have it all. With this 24.5 cu. ft. refrigerator, you can take home the space you need with the style you want. This refrigerator combines...

Whirlpool Refrigerator. Gold 35.4 in. W 24.6 cu. ft. Side by Side Refrigerator in White, Counter Depth GSC25C6EYW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Now you can have it all. With this 24.6 cu. ft. model, you can take home the space you need with the style you ...

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Black

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Black

Get the food storage you want with the most fresh food capacity available.* The 27 cu. ft. Whirlpool WRF989SDA French door refrigerator offers enough ...

Whirlpool Refrigerator. 26.4 cu. ft. Side by Side Refrigerator in White WSF26C2EXW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Getting everyone together at mealtime can be tricky, so we've made it easier to find all the ingredients for a ...
Home Depot

Whirlpool WRF989SDAM Gold 29 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel with MicroEdge Shelves WRF989SDAM

Meet all of your food storage needs with the most fresh food capacity available21. This 29 cu. ft. french door refrigerator offers enough space to hol...
HomeClick

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - White

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - White

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

Whirlpool Refrigerator. 26.4 cu. ft. Side by Side Refrigerator in Mono Satina Steel WSF26C2EXF

Home Depot

Whirlpool WRF989SDAW Gold 29 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in White with Silver Handle and MicroEdge Shelves WRF989SDAW

HomeClick

Whirlpool Refrigerator. 10.7 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in White WRT111SFAW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This 10.7 cu. ft. top freezer refrigerator fits where you want it to and makes storing fresh and frozen food ea...