Whirlpool ED5FTGX 25.3 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator Reviews

Whirlpool ED5FTGX 25.3 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Whirlpool 25.3 cubic foot side-by-side: Well-designed fridge that more than suits my needs

Feb 8, 2010

Pros:Well-designed and handy, attractive, Energy Star

Cons:Shelving seems kind of flimsy

The Bottom Line: I'm pleased with this refrigerator so far it's very well-designed and handy, and it has the features I wanted, including a water filter and an Energy Star rating.

I grew up near a Whirlpool factory, so my appliance experience is mostly limited to their brand. So when I purchased a new house that came with free Whirlpool appliances, I was somewhat relieved to know what I'd be getting. I chose to upgrade the refrigerator the Whirlpool ED5FTGX 25.3 cubic foot side-by-side refrigerator. I didn't know that I necessarily needed a side-by-side, but it was so shiny and pretty, and it had a built-in water filter — I just couldn't resist it.

My first impressions of the fridge were that I was impressed at how roomy it seemed for a side-by-side, and that the shelveing was awesome — there are all these grooves on the inside that you slide the shelves into, and there are a bunch of them, so the shelves are really adjustable. For someone like me who gets oddly annoyed when something won't fit on a shelf, they're just amazing.

I should provide this warning now: I am not married and don't have kids, and it's usually just me at the house with the boyfriend here part of the time. So I don't keep my refrigerator packed with food, and there's not a lot of refrigerator abuse in my household. So in reading this, you might want to keep in mind that my needs in a fridge might be different than others.

Space
My key factors on if a refrigerator has enough space are pretty simple: Can I adjust the shelves so I can stand up a 2-liter of soda, and can I fit a large pizza box in the refrigerator part and a large frozen pizza box in the freezer part? This refrigerator passed both tests easily.

Ice maker/water filter
The ice make works fine, and doesn't seem any louder than most. There are two options, cubed and crushed. The cubes are half moon-shaped. The crushed ice works OK, it's crushed pretty small. For some reason, it always comes out kind of crazy and pieces tend to miss my glass and get on the floor. There's also a handy light that you can turn on in the area where the ice comes out. Another great feature is that the ice/water dispenser has a lock you can turn on. I don't use it, but I would think that'd be good if you have kids. The water filter works fine. One weird thing I've noticed is that the water is cool, but not cold. That's kind of strange coming from a refrigerator — most of the ones I've gotten water out of, the water's been ice cold.

Appearance
This really is a great-looking fridge. I have the black model, but it also comes in white and stainless steel, I think. It has a matte finish, but it's still very sleek and streamlined. I think it looks much more expensive than it actually is. The inside is all white and fairly attractive, as far as refrigerators go.

The refrigerator side
The refrigerator side has all those nice adjustable shelves, like I mentioned, and then the little holders on the side for condiments and such. These are also adjustable, though not as much as the shelves. The shelves are clear plastic, and the two drawers at the bottom are clear plastic. I haven't made any major messes yet, but they seem pretty easy to remove and clean.

The controls for the refrigerator, freezer and water filter are both at the top of the refrigerator, in the front, which is a very handy place for them — no sticking your hand through the cold refrigerator like with some older fridges.

The freezer side
The freezer side has wire shelves, which are adjustable but less so than the refrigerator-side shelves. There's also a nice big plastic drawer at the bottom. The side holders are hard plastic, like on the fridge side, but they aren't adjustable. The ice maker's right at about the top third of the freezer, which for me is a perfect height.

Other notes
— This refrigerator is an Energy Star appliance. Since I got it when I moved, I can't vouch for any decrease or increase in energy from it's purchase.
— While the exterior looks sturdy, I have some concerns about the shelving and drawers in this fridge. They look and feel a little flimsy. I don't keep a lot in the refrigerator, so it's not a big deal for me, but if I did, I might be concerned. I recently filled one shelf with some sports drinks I'd bought, and it seemed to be sagging in the middle a little bit. Reading through some of the other reviews of this refrigerator, it seemed that others had problems with them, so I'm keeping an eye on them.
— Whirlpool has a good Web site where you can register your products online, and it also has PDF versions of their appliances' instruction manuals that you can download. I highly recommend downloading the manual...I find the PDF version much easier to find when I'm trying to figure something out. I have all my appliances' manuals in a folder on my laptop, and it's been really handy.

Overall thoughts
I've had this refrigerator for several months, and I've been very pleased so far. Everything in it is very handy. My only concern thus far is the shelving, but since I'm not one to load down my refrigerator, I'm not that worried about it.

For a one- or two-person household, a 25.3 cubic foot refrigerator is more than ample space — there are plenty of empty shelves and drawers in my fridge. If you have a large household, though, you may want to consider looking at larger sizes.

Obviously, I can't say much about the durability yet, I'll update this review as time goes on if anything goes wrong. While I can't say for sure how durable it is, I would recommend this refrigerator based on its other qualities.

Price and availability
I got this refrigerator as part of a package with my new house, but I believe the black and white models cost around $800, while the stainless steel is closer to $1000. You can find it at places that sell Whirlpool appliances, like Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot, and at builder's supplies.

Whirlpool Gold 24.6 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator GSC25C6EYB

Whirlpool Gold 24.6 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator GSC25C6EYB

Whirlpool Gold 24.6 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator GSC25C6EYB. Delivering Style and Innovation to the Homes of Today... and Tomorrow! Enhance every...

$2064.60

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Black

Whirlpool 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Black

Get the food storage you want with the most fresh food capacity available.* The 27 cu. ft. Whirlpool WRF989SDA French door refrigerator offers enough ...

Whirlpool 26.4 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator WSF26C2EXY

Whirlpool 26.4 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator WSF26C2EXY

Whirlpool 26.4 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator WSF26C2EXY. Delivering Style and Innovation to the Homes of Today... and Tomorrow! Enhance every home...

Whirlpool 6ed2fhkxva 23 Cu.ft. Side By Side Refrigerator 220 Volts Export Only

Whirlpool 6ed2fhkxva 23 Cu.ft. Side By Side Refrigerator 220 Volts Export Only

Side by Side, 22.6 cu. ft., Door Opens to Left and Right
Whirlpool Refrigerator 30 in. W 19.7 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in White WRF560SMYW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. There's finally a French door refrigerator that complements small spaces, pre-existing kitchen fixtures and dow...
Home Depot

Whirlpool 26.4 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator WSF26C2EXW

Whirlpool 26.4 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator WSF26C2EXW

Whirlpool 26.4 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator WSF26C2EXW. Delivering Style and Innovation to the Homes of Today... and Tomorrow! Enhance every home...
AJ Madison

Whirlpool 19.7 cu. ft. French-Door Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

There's finally a French door refrigerator that complements small spaces, pre-existing kitchen fixtures and downtown apartments. This 30 model offers ...

Whirlpool Refrigerator Gold 26.8 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Monochromatic Stainless Steel WRF989SDAM

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Meet all of your food storage needs with flexible capacity that stores more. This 26.8 cu. ft. Whirlpool French...
Home Depot

$1998.00

Whirlpool 19.5 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator WRF560SEYM

Whirlpool 19.5 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator WRF560SEYM

Whirlpool 19.5 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator WRF560SEYM. Delivering Style and Innovation to the Homes of Today... and Tomorrow! Enhance every home ...

Whirlpool 19.6 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator w/ Exterior Dispenser - White

Whirlpool 19.6 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator w/ Exterior Dispenser - White

Take home a model that's paving the way in refrigeration innovation. Now you can easily access cold, filtered water without opening the door thanks to...