GE WSXH208A Washing Machine

Epinions Product Rating: OK

GE Extra Large 2.7 Cu. Ft.Front Loading Washer - I think I'll trade it in.

May 16, 2002 (Updated May 18, 2002)
  • User Rating: OK

Pros:Large drum, excellent spin cycle, quiet

Cons:Small opening, soap and bleach drip into machine, knobs on front.

The Bottom Line: It works, but in my opinion the design is faulty.

When we moved from California we thought that we would have our stuff in storage for about a year before we got a place of our own, so we sold our washer and dryer. Well, that's what we get for thinkin', I guess. About 3 months later we sat in our apartment up to our armpits in dirty laundry but not washer or dryer. Since we didn't have a lot of cash and couldn't get financed for one, we went to a rent to own company and ordered a new set.

The GE Extra Large 2.7 Cu. Ft.Front Loading Washer is supposed to be an 8 cycle, heavy duty and deluxe quiet model. The control knobs are all across the front panel of the washer. Starting from left to right you have:

Auto dispenser with safety latch - this is for your soap, bleach and fabric softener. The drawer pulls out from the front and you place soaps inside so that the washer will automatically add them to the wash.

Temperature Knob - There are four choices for water temperature. Hot/cold, warm/cold, cold/cold, and warm/warm.

Cycle Signal Knob - You can adjust the buzzer signaling the end of the wash from either off to "Loud". There are several notches in between to adjust the setting.

Door Locked Light - This light comes on when the washer is on signaling that the door is locked. The door can not be opened during the cycle.

Extra Rinse Knob - This is to turn the extra rinse option off and on.

Main Control Knob - This is how you start your washer. Push the knob in, turn to the desired cycle and pull it back out and you're off! Starting at the top and going clockwise they offer you:

- Prewash
- Cottons / Heavy
- Cottons / Medium
- Cottons / Light
- Perm Press Easy Care Wash
- Delicates (knits) Wash
- Off

Why did I choose this set to begin with? Well, I didn't. We had had a Maytag Neptune set and loved it, but couldn't afford a new set, so we were hoping this would be similar. Since I am the one that uses is 99% of the time I should have went with my husband to pick it out, but didn't.

When it was delivered I was immediately disappointed. I didn't care for the looks of it. Yeah, I was judging a book by it's cover, but I use washers a lot and I know what I like and this wasn't it.

The washer itself (and dryer, but that is another Epinion) is short with a completely flat top. This is nice if you keep your soaps and such on top of it because you can leave them and not have to worry about any contours or spillage. The problem is, if you have an adventurous child, this washer is very easy for them to get on top of to reach what you place on top or even the cabinets above it. Since I keep cleaners on top of the washer, this was not good.

My next gripe was that the controls are all along the front. This causes two problems. For one, even with as short as I am I have to bend over to see what I am setting the washer on. Some of the writing ends up under the main knob so you have to about stand on your head to see what you are setting it on.

My second gripe with the knobs is that, once again because the washer is so low, our son can walk right up to it and start turning knobs. Change the water temp, turn off or on the signal, or mess the whole cycle up totally. I have had to re-wash several loads because he played with the knobs and I wasn't sure how far into the cycle the load actually was.

Another thing I didn't like about this washer was that the opening was very small. I had to place articles of clothing in the washer one or two, at the most, in at a time because they wouldn't fit if I did it any other way. And you know what you do a load of jeans and occasionally they get wrapped around each other? Well, when you go to place the clean jeans in the dryer you have to tug them out of the washer, and generally about half of the load ends up on the floor. I don't wash clothes to have to rewash them again because I couldn't get them in the dryer without mopping the floor with them first.

I also had some minor problems with the boot that goes around the opening. Water would pool on it so that when the door was opened it would go all over the floor. It also didn't seem like it was getting a very good seal.

Next on my list of gripes was the soap, bleach and fabric softener dispenser. Ok, I admit, it is a neat type of idea. It blends in with the face of the washer and is similar to a drawer. You stick your hand up in the handle and slide the safety latch to the right and pull. This is supposed to be a safety feature, and that's great. My problem is with the dispenser itself. When I dump my soap in, it immediately pours down onto the load. Well, I didn't know it was going to do this, so my husband was pouring soap in the washer while I was loading it. I got more soap on me that the clothes.

The bleach is the same way. I don't know about you but I don't want bleach pouring down onto my clothes without at least having some water mixed into it. Some of our "whites" have pictures and such on them and I would like them to stay that way. For towels, which all of ours are completely white, that isn't a big deal, but the other clothes, to me, it is. I have not noticed this from the fabric softener.

The other complaint about this handy little drawer is that you have to be VERY careful when dumping the liquids in. They go soap, bleach, fabric softener, in that order from left to right. Several times the bleach has sloshed into the other two compartments because they are right next to each other. No, I'm not clumsy, it is hard to dump those liquids into those drawers with the little bit of space they give you to do it in.

Do I have anything GOOD to say about this washer? Well, sure. It spins like nobody's business! The clothes are just damp when I put them in the dryer. I have to be careful because several times I have socks and wash cloths stuck to the side and top of the tub because of the spinning.

It is also very quiet. I am in and out of the kitchen constantly, which is where the washer is at, and I have to walk around the front to see if the washer is still going or not because it is so quiet.

All I can say is that I am glad that I tried this before I paid for it in full. It was worth the $45 to me for two weeks rental NOT to purchase this machine. We are going this weekend to go and get a different set.

It's ok, and it works. There were just to many problems, for me, with the design to recommend it to others.

Amount Paid (US$): rented

GE 3.7 DOE cu. ft. Top Load Washer in Bisque GCWP1805DCC

GE 3.7 DOE cu. ft. Top Load Washer in Bisque GCWP1805DCC

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. GE appliances provide up-to-date technology and exceptional quality to simplify the way you live. With a timele...

GE Bisque Top Load Washer - GCWP1805DCC

GE Bisque Top Load Washer - GCWP1805DCC

3.7 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ Dual-Action Agitator/ ExtrAction Ribbed Basket/ Rotary Electromechanical Controls/ 12 Wash Cycles/ 4 Water Levels/ Bleach And Fa...

GE 24 Stack Washer With Electric Dryer - GTUP240EMWW

GE 24 Stack Washer With Electric Dryer - GTUP240EMWW

2.2 Cu Ft Washer Capacity/ 4.4 Cu Ft Dryer Capacity/ 9 Wash Cycles/ 5 Wash/Rinse Temperatures/ Auto-Load Sensing With 5 Water Levels/ White Finish
Abt Electronics

GE Profile 4.3 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Load Washer with Steam in White PFWS4600LWW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Front load washing machines combine great cleaning results with water and energy savings. Using a reversing tum...

GE 27 White Spacemaker Washer / Gas Dryer - GTUN275GMWW

GE 27 White Spacemaker Washer / Gas Dryer - GTUN275GMWW

3.4 Cu. Ft. Capacity Washer, 5.9 Cu. Ft. Capacity Dryer/ 3 Wash/Spin Speed Combinations/ 9 Wash Cycles/ Auto-Load Sensing With 5 Water Levels/ Bleach ...
Abt Electronics

GE Unitized Spacemaker 3.3 cu. ft. Washer and 5.9 cu. ft. Gas Dryer in White GTUP270GMWW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The GE Unitized Spacemaker Washer and Gas Dryer features a 5.9 cu. ft. capacity dryer and a 3.3 cu. ft. capacit...

GE 27 Spacemaker White Stacked Washer And Gas Dryer - GTUP270GMWW

GE 27 Spacemaker White Stacked Washer And Gas Dryer - GTUP270GMWW

3.3 Cu Ft Washer Capacity/ 5.9 Cu Ft Dryer Capacity/ 9 Wash Cycles/ 5 Wash/Rinse Temperatures/ Auto-Load Sensing With 5 Water Levels/ White Finish
Abt Electronics

GE Unitized Spacemaker 2.2 cu. ft. Washer and 4.4 cu. ft. Electric Dryer in White GTUP240EMWW

Home Depot

GE Unitized Spacemaker 3.4 DOE cu. ft. Stainless Steel Washer and 5.9 cu. ft. Gas Dryer in White GTUN275GMWW

GE 3.9 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White GTWN4250DWS