-13%

+$6.99 shipping Home Depot
+$4.99 shipping Wayfair

Great for a Small Grill

Aug 10, 2004

Pros:Solid, air-tight construction.

Cons:Easy to accidently choke the air altogether.

The Bottom Line: I definitely recommend this grill. Weber makes a great product. Even if you already have a bigger grill, this little one will get plenty of grill time.

This little grill is the workhorse for our family cookouts. I have a bigger grill for shindigs, but I still prefer using this grill for my family of four when I can. The cooking area will handle four big burgers or five smaller ones. I'm actually more inclined to cook a second round of meat on this smaller grill than to stoke up the big iron.

It's the most efficient grill I've ever used. When I'm grilling burgers, fish or even steaks, my cooking time is really only a matter of minutes, ranging from a quick sear on a tuna loin, to a beer's worth of time for a porterhouse. When I'm done cooking, I shut the top vent and the fire is out in minutes. I use lump charcoal so I use leftover coal the next time I grill. You might be surprised how little charcoal you actually burn when using this grill.

Perhaps the biggest plus of this little grill is the way it's built - great quality from the nickel-plated cooking grate to the heavy gauge steel kettle. The tight-fitting lid and air vents allow for enhanced airflow control which gives you a better command over the cooking temperature, once you get the hang of it.

I'm not going to knock points off for it not having long legs because it's designed for portability, but you'll need to set it on something. You'll have to find a cooking area that can take the heat and is out of the way of kids running around. Those little stubby legs that come with the grill get pretty hot but you can cook on a regular picnic table without leaving a mark.

The only true downfall of this little grill is that the coals can get choked from getting enough air in a few different ways: You can use too many coals, you can have too much meat on the cooking grate, or pieces of coal and ash can drop and block the bottom vent. When this happens you can recover by lifting the lid and blowing on the coals to bring them back to life. Of course that's not ideal, but once you learn how this little grill behaves, it is perfectly predictable, very dependable, and a lot of fun to use.

Weber 40020 Features: -Porcelain-enameled bowl and lid. -Plated steel cooking grate. -Rust-resistant aluminum vents. -One glass-reinforced nylon hand...
Wayfair
Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. If you want to grill in the wild, at the shore, or wherever the party is happening, then you are in luck with Smo...
Home Depot

Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal Grill , New, Free Shipping Perfect for cookouts, tailgate parties, or car camping, Weber's Smokey Joe Gold grill ...