OK, I have used DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) in the past to move my 1968 Charger from Florida to California. That review is available under DAS. So I'm not a newbie to this process.
I purchased a 1967 Firebird off EBAY. I contacted Uship.com and I posted on that site and tried to get a quote for shipping. However, I was getting pricing which was about $300-$400 more than Fed-Ex Auto Transport and Intercity.
Now I heard very good reports about Fed-Ex, heck they always seem to get my letters delivered pronto! I called and they came in with a price about $50 less than Intercity, so I went with Fed Ex. I booked with Fed Ex on a Thursday, but my 1st available pick up date was on Monday, 4 days after the day I originally booked since I was waiting for my certified check to clear the seller's bank so they would release the car.
On the 2nd day my car was available for pick up, technically 6 days after I initially booked with Fed Ex, they still didn't have a date certain for picking my car up and they gave me a 10 day window for pick up from the time my car 1st became available. This got me worried and I pictured not getting my car until 20 days down the road.
I called Intercity and asked how soon until they could pick up my car on Tuesday. They told me probably by Saturday/Sunday. Based on a day certain vs. the still unknown, I called and cancelled with Fed Ex and went with Intercity. Bottomline, the seller has my money, has my car, I want the car picked up ASAP.
I sent Intercity an email today Thursday to see if they could confirm the Saturday/Sunday pick up. I kinda wanted to make sure Intercity wasn't stringing me along and promising to pick the car up to get my business, only to delay the pick up.
Well I got an e-mail today (Thursday) that the driver will most likely pick up the car tomorrow, Friday. He already called the seller to schedule and we are now a day earlier for pick up of my car :) then I was originally promised. As such, I'm very happy with the service, so far.
Now they told me to expect delivery on Monday-Wednesday of next week although I'm only a 1,000 miles away. I was hoping for a weekend delivery since I work 60 hours and could play with the car if it came on the weekend. However, I'm just glad it's on the way.
Well, as my luck goes, it snowed in Wyoming on Friday about 2-3 inches. The driver came into town on Friday and decided to wait until the next morning to load the car and because he doesn't like to load at night. The next morning, it was 24 degrees and the 2 mile road to the sellers house was icy. The driver didn't want to drive the 2 miles on the icy residential roads to pick up the car. The seller and his pregnant wife didn't want to drive the 67 firebird the 2 miles through the snow to bring it to the driver, so the pick up was aborted.
Did the driver actually think the road, ice and snow conditions were going to improve overnight? Did he really expect them to drive the car I'm paying them over a $1 a mile for enclosed transport door to door service to drive through the snow to him. Well, I called on Monday to find out when they will reschedule, but they have no clue. Hopefully the next driver will have some snow driving experience and 2-3 inches of snow wont scare them off. So just like my move with DAS, here we go again.............
I'll finish the saga when the car actually arrives.
Read all 55 Reviews
Write a Review
Amount Paid (US$): 1174.00