Maytag MES5870A Electric Range

Maytag smooth top is one great range

Oct 20, 2000 (Updated Oct 25, 2000)

Pros:Looks great, and has the easiest cleaning range top I have ever owned

Cons:top shows streaks and dust if not wiped off properly

In the time that we have owned our smooth top range, I have fallen in love with it, and without going any further I will have to tell you ..that I will never go back to the old "coil" type of burners on a stove.

I was somewhat reluctant to buy a ceramic smooth top range at first...but I loved the look of the smooth glass top, and after talking to a friend that had one, that only had positive things to say about their ceramic top stove, we decided to take the plunge and purchase one.

We did NOT shop around for the best price, we have a appliance dealer we always use and trust, and bought it from them. The purchase price was approximately $750.00.

FEATURES OF THE RANGE:

Clean up is a snap, spill overs and burned on spots, just pop right off as long as you use the right cleaning supplies. For heavy spilled areas, we have a device that is almost like a razor blade..it simply scraps the burnt areas off the smooth top, but does not scratch the glass finish.

For lighter spills, and for general cleaning purposes, we use a product by Whink "Glass and Ceramic COOK TOP CLEANER" which runs about $3.99 for a 24 oz bottle.

The smooth glass top cleans up sparkling clean with just a swipe over the top with the cleaner, and if you don't want streaks to show, do a quick wipe off with paper towel.

SELF CLEAN OVEN:

The self cleaning feature works on extremely high temperatures, with a locking door feature that makes it impossible to open the door when the oven is in the cleaning mode. It actually does not "unlock" for approximately one hour after the cleaning mode is finished.

When you use this feature, it does clean the oven completely, and all that is left for you to do, is to use a paper towel and wipe the oven out after the cleaning cycle is complete and the oven is cooled down.

AUTOMATIC OVEN LIGHT:

That comes on automatically when you open the oven door.

DRAWER:

Under the oven there is a large pull out drawer that can hold quite a few pots, pans or cooking utensils.

RETAINS HEAT:

The smooth top cook top does retain heat for a short time after you turn off the heat, you can keep your foods "warm" for a short period of time by utilzing this feature, and leaving the pot or pan on the cooking area until ready to serve.

HOT SURFACE LIGHT:

A red light comes on to indicate that one of the heat elements is on and to warn you that there is a hot spot on the smooth top.

FOUR COOKING AREAS:

You have four cooking areas, two large ones and two smaller ones.

The cooking areas are "marked" with a pattern on the smooth top, so you will know exactly where they are and what size they are.

When a cooking area is turned on, the coil element that is located under the glass top, will glow red and will be visible thru the glass range top. The coil will turn on and off as needed to maintain the temperature you have selected.

COOKING IN GENERAL:

I find as long as you use proper cooking utensils with good flat bottoms, that the heat is distributed evenly and the temperature stays steady.

For baking, I find the oven works great, holds a steady temperature and the cakes, cookies and other baking foods all seem to bake well.

I also use the oven for many of my arts and crafts projects and find that the oven temperature does tend to stay true, which can be critical to some of my craft projects.

CAUTIONS AND SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR CLEAN TOP:

Do not "slide" pots or pans around on the ceramic top, you must pick up the pots or pans and place them where you want them..sliding them can cause cuts or scrapes on the glass.

Always use proper pan size for the cooking area you are using...to determine proper pan size, it would be the size of the pan compared to the size of the cooking area, always try to match the pan as close as possible to the size of the burner.

Never operate the cooking areas without having a pan on them.

Never allow a pan or pot to boil dry.

Always keep utensil handles turned inwards towards the stove, not outwards where they can be bumped.

Do not leave food or utensils in the oven during self cleaning cycle

NEVER COOK ON A BROKEN RANGE TOP, if your top is cracked or broken contact your service dept. immediately.

Pans that have a uneven bottom or are warped or "grooved" do not work as well as smooth bottom pans, and will tend to cook slower and in a uneven manner.

CLEANING PRODUCT CAUTIONS:

Cleaning products for glass ware that may contain ammonia can damage your range top.

Soiled cloth or sponges can leave a film on your range top that can cause discoloration when you turn on the cooking areas.

Chemicals like oven cleaners, chlorine bleaches and rust removers can also cause damage to your range top and should not be used and abrasive cleaning pads, or powders can also cause scratches on the range top.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THIS RANGE:

Nothing...except this minor thing, the glass top even if you clean it often, (and I do after every use), when sun light hits it the right way, it shows dust on it...and if you didn't use paper towel to wipe the cleaner off well, you will also see a film or streak marks....but that's not much of a gripe is it???

CONCLUSION:

I love my smooth top range, even though it took a little getting used to when we first purchased it (I found the hardest thing I had to "learn" to do was to stop "shaking" the frying pan across the burner).

A smooth top range may not be for everyone, but it sure works for me.

Maytag Oven. 24 in. Single Electric Wall Oven Self-Cleaning in Stainless Steel CWE4800ACS

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This Maytag electric built-in wall oven is 24 in. wide. A perfect fit for many remodeling and replacement needs...

Maytag 36 Black Electric Cooktop - MEC4536WB

Maytag 36 Black Electric Cooktop - MEC4536WB

Power Center With Two 8 Elements/ Porcelain Surface/ No-Drip Chrome Bowls/ Heavy-Duty Coil Elements/ Element-In-Use Light/ Hot Surface Indicator Ligh...
Abt Electronics

Maytag Oven. 24 in. Single Electric Wall Oven Self-Cleaning in White CWE4800ACE

Maytag Oven. 24 in. Single Electric Wall Oven Self-Cleaning in White CWE4800ACE

Maytag 30 Stainless Steel Double Oven Electric Range

Maytag 30 Stainless Steel Double Oven Electric Range

Maytag means business in the kitchen, and that means powerful heating to make everyday food into a tasty meal with this GeminiA electric stove. For se...
hhgregg

Maytag Cooktop. 36 in. Coil Electric in Black with 5 Elements MEC4536WB

Maytag Cooktop. 36 in. Coil Electric in Black with 5 Elements MEC4536WB

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Continue your kitchen mastery with this reliable five-element cooktop that lets you stay in control. It feature...

Maytag 36 White Electric Cooktop - MEC4536WW

Maytag 36 White Electric Cooktop - MEC4536WW

Abt Electronics

Maytag Cooktop. 30 in. Coil Electric in Black with 4 Elements MEC4430WB

Maytag Cooktop. 30 in. Coil Electric in Black with 4 Elements MEC4430WB

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Continue your kitchen mastery with this reliable four-element cooktop that lets you stay in control. It feature...

Maytag Cooktop. 36 in. Coil Electric in White with 5 Elements MEC4536WW

Maytag Cooktop. 36 in. Coil Electric in White with 5 Elements MEC4536WW

Maytag Oven. 24 in. Single Electric Wall Oven Self-Cleaning in Black CWE4800ACB

Maytag Oven. 24 in. Single Electric Wall Oven Self-Cleaning in Black CWE4800ACB

Maytag 30 Stainless Steel Smoothtop Electric Range

Maytag 30 Stainless Steel Smoothtop Electric Range

Maytag is all business when it comes to adding flavor to your favorite dinners. Count on this electric range with a Powera,, element to get the finest...
hhgregg