Maytag MSD2756G 27.3 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Wide-by-Side - amazing!

Dec 26, 2001

Pros:Unique design give more room to both compartments, large capacity and extras

Cons:built-in ice maker can be a problem. Ice doesn't come out cleanly

The Bottom Line: I expect that all Refridgerator manufacturers will evently follow Maytags lead with this revolutionary design.

We’ve been researching refrigerators for the past year. Our 15-year-old Amana Side-by-side has seen its better days. Our problem has been finding the model that would fit nicely in our built in stop and has the amenities that we were looking for. I have always favored the side-by-side because I hate bending over to grab food out of the refrigerator and if we purchased a regular top freezer model, the door would hit our kitchen table when it was opened fully. My wife on the other hand, wanted a refrigerator that could handle food platters for parties. Most platters were 18 – 20 inches across and most side-by-sides made today that would fit into our 36 inch across space could only accommodate platters less than 18 inches.

We’ll with this revolutionary new design from Maytag, we were able to satisfy both are needs. The new for 2001 Maytag Wide-by-side refrigerator boasts the widest available refrigerator and freezer space in a traditional side-by-side refrigerator. It has an offset configuration that makes the refrigerator wider at the top (22 inches) and narrow at the bottom , which make the freezer side larger. Therefore, both the refrigerator and freezer compartments can store wider items. Maytag's new refrigerator design, more easily accommodates oversized and odd-shaped food items—such as pizza boxes, deli trays and sheet cakes.

The basics:

This is a fairly large side-by-side. It has 27 cubic feet of storage space, with a hefty over 16 c.f. in the refrigerator compartment. The dimensions are 35 ¾ inches wide and 69 inches tall. With the door and excluding the handle, the Maytag sticks out 31 ¼ inches.
The exterior is very stylish and the freezer side has a built-in water and ice dispenser. I thought it would be a good idea to have this on the outside to conserve energy and not have to open up the freezer anytime you wanted ice. Unfortunately, Maytag has not been known for making great icemakers. While it’s a nice feature, if you use the crushed ice, then the regular cubes seem to get stuck later on. Also, we getting regular cubes out, you get a spray of crushed ice too all over the floor. It also includes a lock, which my 4 year old figured out the first day. (which can’t be re-programmed)

The Refrigerator:

Elevator shelf - rolls up and down to accommodate tall items – This is really convenient, it beats taking all the items out and moving the selves around.

Two FreshLock crispers with automatic humidity control for fresh fruits and vegetables – Seems to be working so far, my Amana froze all my vegetables.

Adjusti-Temp meat drawer - temperature adjusts for optimum fresh meat storage – So far its just a cheese drawer.

Adjustable Spill-Catcher shelves - sealed edges contain spills for quick and easy cleanup – Why mess up the whole refrigerator when you can contain it to one shelve.

Sealed glass crisper shelf – Help you see what’s in the crisper without opening it.

Easy-glide shelves - roll out so items can easily be retrieved – no problem getting to the back of the shelf, although it could roll out a few inches more.

Tall bottle retainer – Plenty of places for bottles of wine or soda.

Pick-off gallon-plus door bins - store gallon jugs and 2-liter bottles – If you have kids, this one is a must.

Refrigerator door tilt-out bin – neat concept, but not sure what to put there for this to be handy.

Removable egg tray – when did they stop making refrigerators with built-in egg trays. (the tray is an awkward size and doesn’t fit in the side shelf very easily.

The Freezer:

Slide-out wire freezer baskets – Much larger capacity then my old side-by-side.

Fixed deep-storage freezer door bins – great for kids frozen snacks.

Three wire freezer shelves, including one adjustable, slide-out shelf – plenty of storage in this freezer.

Easy-tilt freezer door baskets - with side guards to help keep items securely in place – The tilt helps you get your hands on top to grab the item.

Plastic door on Ice maker – this can get annoying if you need to grab a lot of ice.

Conclusion: The Maytag Wide-by-Side has really been a life savor for our family. This model we have is the MZD2766G, which has a few less perks than the model with individual climate controls on all the crispers drawers. It should set you back about 1650.00.

Maytag 5.6 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in Stainless Steel MURM24FWBS

Maytag 5.6 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in Stainless Steel MURM24FWBS

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The convenience of a small refrigerator, the power of a Maytag. This undercounter refrigerator is ENERGY STAR q...

Maytag Ice2O 26 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator MFI2665XEM

Maytag Ice2O 26 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator MFI2665XEM

Maytag MFI2665XEM With 26 cu. ft. capacity, this Ice2O® refrigerator features the flexible storage space you crave. The flush ice and water dispenser...
Wayfair

$1979.90

Maytag Refrigerator. 20.6 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in White M1TXEGMYW

Maytag Refrigerator. 20.6 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in White M1TXEGMYW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Combine efficiency and capacity in a top-freezer refrigerator. This ENERGY STAR qualified Maytag 20.6 cu. ft. r...
Home Depot

Maytag MFF2055YEB 19.6 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Black with Strongbox Door Bins MFF2055YEB

You can finally fit big French door benefits in your kitchen's slim 30 wide opening. In the space that was previously reserved for top freezers, this ...

$1974.50

Maytag MFF2055YEW 19.6 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in White with Strongbox Door Bins MFF2055YEW

$1974.50

Maytag MBF1953YEB 18.5 cu. ft. BottomFreezer Refrigerator in Black with SpillCatcher Shelves MBF1953YEB

Everything you want is right there with this ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerator. The fullwidth refrigerator compartment makes it easy to find your gro...

Maytag 18.5 Cuft Bottom Mount Stainless Steel Refrigerator, Obo,

Maytag 18.5 Cuft Bottom Mount Stainless Steel Refrigerator, Obo,

Maytag 18.5 CuFt Bottom Mount Stainless Steel Refrigerator, OBO, NEW 2-year Manufacturer's Warranty included Refrigerator: Includes DELIVERY, INSTALLA...

Maytag Refrigerator. ICE2O 33 in. W 21.7 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in White MFI2269VEW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Have the whole block over for the big game and keep everyone's drink cold with this French door bottom-freezer ...

Maytag 36 25 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel SideBySide Refrigerator

Maytag 36 25 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel SideBySide Refrigerator

Maytag's durable 25 cu. ft. refrigerator (24.6 cu. ft. actual capacity) is built to take the work out of keeping everything cool. Its large capacity h...
hhgregg

Maytag Eco Stainless Top-Freezer Refrigerator - M1BXXGMYM

Maytag Eco Stainless Top-Freezer Refrigerator - M1BXXGMYM

21.1 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ Strongbox Door Bins/ Speed Cool/ Up Front Electronic Controls/ FreshFlow Produce Preserver/ Full-Width Flip-Down Shelf/ Adjusta...
Abt Electronics