Singer 6423 Sewing Machine Reviews

Singer 6423 Sewing Machine

Epinions Product Rating: OK

BUYER BEWARE! Faulty bobbin case jumps out of place, beaks needle and ruins fabric

Jan 15, 2005

Pros:It's very easy to use. It's a good teaching machine for young people.

Cons:Bobbin case defective, tool holder hard to remove to sew pants legs and sleeves.

The Bottom Line: Don't even think of buying it until Singer has fixed the bobbin case problem.

I purchased this machine in 1999 and have been frustrated and disappointed it since then. If I sew REALLY SLOW at about 2 stitches a second on a lightweight fabric it works long enough to hem a seam. Then the bobbin holder jumps loose because their is nothing but a small metal piece to hold it in place. This small metal piece is held in place by a screw that always loosens. Like the other reviewer said, chewed up replacement bobbin holders are expensive and I've bought 5 additional ones. The needles keep chewing them up. What a disappointment! My mother was a professional seamstress and always bought Singers. Never again. Also, they talk about an electronic magnet that holds the bobbin case down-- don't believe it. It's just a little magnetic washer that is placed to low and it doesn't even touch the metal on the bottom of the bobbin case. Years ago I complained to Singer and they kept telling me I was using it incorrectly. The nearest authorized repair center is 500 miles away and I had to pay for shipping. I'm glad I didn't. After reading the review in which the user got her machine replaced I'm going after Singer again. This machine is part of the Millennium Series.
I'll write again if they send me a new machine. Until then BUYER BEWARE!

23 Built-In Stitches, With Easy Button Hole