Another Utilitarian Tool in My Growing Food Preparation Arsenal

Mar 6, 2010 (Updated Mar 9, 2010)

Pros:Large capacity; Attractive stainless steel design; does its business well.

Cons:N/a thus far.

The Bottom Line:

Modern American life leaves those with families precious little time to function like the families of yesteryear.  Between the job commutes, working out, kids, chores, and other pressures, there is little time to cook a decent dinner.  I do the majority of cooking in our household and it is something I enjoy, but it is increasingly hard to accomplish because of my ever demanding schedule.

But I like to prepare meals from scratch with fresh ingredients including an ever-increasing list of vegetable.  Heretofore I have chopped the majority of my vegetables by hand and that is both time-consuming and tedious.  And fresh shredded cheese, bread/pizza dough, fresh whipped cream: forget it!

So, I have been looking for a quality high capacity food processor to chop, dice, shred, and puree.  I had thought to go with Kitchen Aid, but alas their offering was long on function and, well, short on aesthetics.  So I turned to that other siren of kitchenware's Cuisinart for my food processor, namely the Cuisinart DLC-2011BCN 11-Cup Food Processor.

The Product

In The Box

o   DLC-2011BCN 11-Cup Food Processor w/ Touch pad Dough Control
o   11-cup Lexan work bowl
o   Chopping blade
o   Power Prep metal dough blade
o   Extra-large (4-1/4 by 2-3/4 inches ) feed tube slices whole fruits and vegetables
o   One-piece Cuisinart Supreme feed tube
o   (4 mm) Stainless steel medium slicing disc
o   (4 mm) Stainless steel shredding disc
o   Detachable disc stem
o   Spatula
o   Recipe / Instruction book
o   How-to DVD

The Cuisinart DLC-2011BCN 11-Cup Food Processor comes with everything one might need in one box, namely stainless steel chopping blade, dough blade, as well as slicing and shredding discs.  At 14-pounds the attractive appliance is not light, but is easy enough to move about and store.

The 600-watt motor in the base automatically adjusts the blades' speed to ensure proper consistency when mixing bread and pizza dough's. Measuring in at 4-1/4 inches by 2-3/4 inches, the large oval feed tube can accommodate whole fruits and vegetables as well as large chunks of beef, chicken, pork and other meats.

A smaller cylindrical tube is located inside the pusher assembly and has its own hollow pusher, which removes with a twist.  This can proved useful for slicing cucumbers, carrots and the like.  On the bottom of the small pusher is a pinhole for dribbling fats such as oils into the bowl while making tartar sauce, or spreads.
The large, removable, clear, 11-cup Lexan work bowl is virtually impervious to heat or cold and shatterproof. (Existing Cuisinart blades and discs also fit this machine.) Cuisinart warranties the DLC-2011BCN's motor against defects for 10 years and the remaining parts for three years.
My Experience

I am very happy with my choice of the Cuisinart DLC-2011BCN 11-Cup Food Processor.  This baby works and works well.  All of the parts are easy to use and remove.  My new Cuisinart DLC-2011BCN 11-Cup Food Processor's first mission: chop up alcove of garlic, an onion, and bell pepper for my homemade spaghetti sauce.

Using the "pulse" mode, the appliance made short work of the vegetables at hand and with a small modicum of tears.  And because the veggies are more finely chopped than I can do by hand, the flavor of the spaghetti sauce was greatly improved.

Next up: pizza dough!

The Cuisinart DLC-2011BCN 11-Cup Food Processor with stainless steel finish, is a keeper.  The combination of large cup size, versatile cutting, shredding, and chopping blades/ discs promise to help me get decent nutritional meals on the dinner table for my family.