Rowenta DM-880 Iron with Auto Shut-off

Rowenta DM880 and Rowenta Service

Jun 29, 2004

Pros:Beautiful design and solid feel to the iron.

Cons:Poor quality and poor customer satifaction.

The Bottom Line: Not as good as their earlier models. Look for other brands.

The first part of this review was an email I sent to Rowenta regarding a malfunctioning DM880, which I owned for over a year but did not begin using until 3 or 4 months ago. The second part was Rowenta's response. The third was my last communication with them. So much for the vaunted Rowenta name and reputation.

1.)

This is a complaint about the above model (DM880, which was purchased over a year ago as a backup to an earlier model Rowenta iron(DE 87 1 B). The DM 880 sat on a shelf, in its original box unused , until the older model gave up the ghost, about three or four months ago. That model was fine until the unit began shutting off and wouldn't restart. But that model worked well as an iron for the time it was used, which was probably more than 5 years. The DM 880, in comparison, is a poor substitute. It seems to always go red on the indicator, so you're never sure if it's heating properly, and when you iron with it is such a poor steam iron I couldn't believe it was a Rowenta. This model doesn't shoot much steam when you press the button and it gives off no steam when you tilt it parallel with the ironing board. This is especially aggravating when ironing cotton fabric which needs all the steam it can get.

The iron is just an overall disappointment. It has me seriously considering never buying a Rowenta again, and we used to praise your product to everyone.

And as for the older model dying after five to six years of use, this is not a very good advertisement for your product's longevity. I remember having old cheap Sunbeams and GEs that lasted for 10 to 15 years before they gave up the ghost and simply wore out. For a $120 iron, you expect a little more than five years use.

I learned one thing with any product you buy. Never assume that it will work as well as the earlier model, unless you test it thoroughly and make sure from the date of purchase. Had I done that, your model DM 880 would have been returned to Sears the day I purchased it.

Unsatisfyingly yours.

Brian S

2.)

Charter wrote:

> Dear Mr. S,
> We received your e-mail at our corporate headquarters, and we thank you for
> your inquiry. We regret to learn you have encountered any difficulty with your Rowenta
> iron.
> We are sorry that your iron is not functioning as it was intended to. The
> description of the problem is not indicative of the features on this model.
> Based on your description, we recommend shipping the product to one of the
> three main service centers listed below for repairs:
> Authorized Appliance
> California Electric
> 1170G Burnett Ave.
> Concord, CA 94520
> 925-827-5409
> Please include a brief note with your name, address, telephone number and
> description of the problem.
> When shipping, we recommend using a form of insured mail to protect the
> package against damage or loss that can occur in transit.
> If you have additional questions, please contact a representative in our
> consumer service department at 781-396-0600. Representatives are available Monday through
> Thursday from 8:00am to 5:00pm (EST) and on Friday from 8:00am to 12:00pm.
> Best regards,
> Rowenta

3.)

That's all well and good for you to suggest sending the iron to a service department. Don't you think I gave that option a consideration? But you're also talking about repairing an iron that has been used for several months and is beyond the warranty. That means repair costs will be tacked onto a malfunctioning
expensive iron that has had three months use.

So not am I only out $120 for the purchase of the iron but presumably another estimated cost of $50 or more
to have the iron serviced, because no service department is going to do if for free.

No thanks.

That way the iron would cost nearly $170, and it would still be a used iron. And additionally, you didn't address my observation that the earlier iron I owned conked out after 5 years of use. Unheard of for so expensive an appliance.

What I think it comes down to is Rowenta is part of the past for my appliance choices. I'll toss off the loss, dump the iron, get a new one from another manufacturer and chalk this up to a lesson learned from a company that relies on image and not quality and service.

Too bad. The Rowenta irons are beautifully designed. They're just not well made.

Brian S

P.S. I am forwarding this exchange to Epinions.com as a post regarding your product and your service.

Rowenta Pro-Precision Iron

Rowenta Pro-Precision Iron

Laundry day turning into laundry week? With the touch of a button, up to 1 hours of continuous high-powered steam helps you smooth out the toughest wr...
Sur La Table

Rowenta Auto-Steam 3-Way Shut-Off Iron DW4060002

Rowenta Auto-Steam 3-Way Shut-Off Iron DW4060002

Autosteam system. Self clean system. 3-way auto shut-off.
Lowe's

Rowenta Dg8430 Pro Precision Steam Station With 400 Hole Stainless Steel Solepla

Rowenta DG8430 Pro Precision Steam Station Steamer Meet Rowenta'a newest technological advancement. A favorite is now even better thanks to a more com...

Rowenta Powerpress Iron Dm 165

Rowenta Powerpress Iron Dm 165

With the latest in German technology and design, this iron combines a stainless steel soleplate and sleek styling. The powerful pro vertical steam mak...

Rowenta DG8430 Pro Precision Steam Station with 400 hole Stainless Steel soleplate 1800 Watt, Purple Product Features: Continuous high powered steam:4...

Rowenta Iron, Pro Master, 1 iron Blue/white

Rowenta Iron, Pro Master, 1 iron Blue/white

Make Smooth Moves with the Powerful Rowenta Iron Born for precision and performance, the Rowenta Pro Master iron makes wrinkles, crinkles and crumples...

NEW Rowenta DG8430 Pro Precision Steam Station with 400 hole Stainless Steel soleplate 1800 Watt Purple 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING...

Rowenta  Focus Iron

Rowenta Focus Iron

Rowenta Focus Iron. The new DW5080 Focus Iron provides the optimal balance between breakthrough technology and advanced design. The striking European ...
Belk

Rowenta Focus Iron DW5080

Rowenta Focus Iron DW5080

Rowenta DW5080 Made in Germany, Rowenta Focus Iron features enhanced stainless steel soleplate with precision tip, with sharper point, for better acc...
Wayfair