HP ScanJet 5590P Flatbed Scanner Reviews

HP ScanJet 5590P Flatbed Scanner

A scanner for people experienced with computer hardware.

Mar 9, 2012

Pros:Great speed, excellent quality, fast, easy to use buttons, excellent technical support

Cons:Difficult to install and setup, lamp timeout errors.

The Bottom Line: A tough learning curve but a great product once the setup is over. Great outputs and fast processing of scans. Not for people with very little knowledge of computer operations

We purchased this scanner about 8 months back to replace a discount bin flat bed Canon scanner.There was little research that we could do online and the HP name and the experience with the technical support guys warranted very less apprehension.

The plug and play scanners available in the market today are a little simpler to start operating . This scanner does not really turn out to be an out of the box product as we encountered a little problem in the beginning with the installation and setup.The software that was included with the package was difficult to load and we had glitches which needed to be resolved with technical support from the HP guys.

My friend who uses the same scanner more frequently for his office purposes had no problems but we as laymen (infrequent users : we just use it to scan pictures or to make pdf files from business papers for official records) found the setup software pretty extensive and difficult to break-in in the event of minor teething problems. However we have managed to get over that phase in due course.

The scanner warms up pretty quickly and the document feeder is fast too. The scanner is reasonabely reliable and scans well. However it locks up at times and a little cord pull helps.

We use the document feeder whenever we have to scan multiple documents at one go. The pictures when converted into jpeg files have given good results. we have not tried out slides or negatives till date but I guess the output should be fairly good too.We have not had any requirement to disassemble or manually clean the document feeder yet so it would not help to comment on the methods that had been prescribed to us in this review.

The appealing feature is the front panel buttons that have been set up to output a pdf file and this requires no further inputs or software interferences. This is a big help and it makes scanning very easy.I just put in the number of pages required, press the scan button and the scanner takes over until I have to input a file name.

If the paper is of good quality then the double sided scan works well too. There have been reports of the scanner working slow , but we have faced no such problems.

The problem that we faced was the greying of corners of the scanned documents . They looked liked zeroxed replicas . The change in the resolution settings has eliminated this problem to quite an extent.

We had some lamp timeout problems too , and we ended up spending a lot of time rescanning the documents as the lamp would go off before the scan was completed. We had to contact the cusomer care again and they helped us get over it too.

I would not rate this scanner as a very user friendly product or something that is very easy for infrequent users like myself. However the HP technical guys deserve all the compliments for having ironed out all our problems and queries and making this purchase worthwile for us.

Once the installation, setup and teething phase is over, the scanner works easily and with great results. It has a nice speed, excellent quality and easy to use and maintain once you get the hang of it.

Summarizing the review, it would suffice to say that if you are a novice at scanning or you have little computer hardware experience then it would be better off to use some other model rather than this one as it is not very interactive and user friendly.

Auction4less Auction4less Auction4less Auction4less HP ScanJet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner - Flatbed scanner - Duplex - Legal - 2400 dpi x 2400 dpi -...