Epinions Product Rating: OK

I Know I'm Pretty Dubious About This (Summer Solstice W/O)

Jun 21, 2002 (Updated Jun 21, 2002)
  • User Rating: OK

• Action Factor:
  • Special Effects:
  • Suspense:

Pros:Nice-looking cast, some good suspense

Cons:poor acting, weak plot

The Bottom Line: Not a good idea unless you've nothing better to do

Plot Details: This opinion reveals major details about the movie's plot.

I left a note on my wife's pillow the other day, folded thrice, and written in red ink. "I know what you did last summer" it read.

"Oh, sure" she said, upon discovering it. "I ran around undoing all of your bizarre little projects before you got hurt, arrested, or laughed out of town."

Okay, so maybe she's not the best one upon whom to play that particular prank.

So then....

I Know What You Did Last Summer is your basic teen-slash flick. The cast is a nice combination; Jennifer Love Hewitt stars as Julie, best friend of Helen, played by Sarah Michelle Gellar, who is girlfriend to Barry, played by Ryan Phillippe, who apparently didn't rate three names,and the main cast is rounded out by Freddie Prinze Jr. in the role of Ray, Julie's main squeeze.

These four friends are driving along drunk one night, and whoops! an accident occurs, leaving one man dead and the four teens in frantic hysterics, which appears to be their main emotion. Unwilling to face the music and go to jail, they dump the dead body in the ocean, and make a pact to never reveal what they had done.

A year passes...Julie goes off to college, and returns home in the summer, reunites with her three cohorts, and suddenly, mysteriously, all of them begin getting stalked... strange letters start appearing stating "I Know What you Did Last Summer" freaking them out, so to speak, sinister items are left for them to find, and one by one they begin to die, savagely murdered.

This premise works far better in the book the movie was based upon, rather than in the movie itself, which devotes three quarters of its time to the main characters getting angry, or hysterical, or both, and the town police displaying varying degrees of ignorance and apathy when the kids start dissapearing and turning up dead. One particular officer remains skeptical right up until the point where he suddenly is the unhappy recipient of a boat hook in the guts, sending Julie running off shreiking hysterically into the night, something she does well, and does frequently.

There's no real depth to the characters, and Freddie Prinze Jr. particularly appears to be sleepwalking through the film. Well, the other three make up for that by almost bursting blood vessels with shreiks of terror, over the top emoting, and in the case of Ryan Phillipe, plain overacting...he can't emote below a yell, it would seem.

The cast looks good, I'll give them credit for that, but after the first few minutes, the whole thing degenerates into the same old "run frantically from the killer who is calmly walking after you while you pee yourself doing stupid things trying to escape" type of film.

The killer himself is uninteresting and unconvincing...brother to the original dead man, he is a fisherman who kills with his sturdy boat hook, and walks around in the summer heat dressed in rain slicker and other foul-weather gear, and nobody seems to notice him.

The film has a few moments of decent suspense here and there before it falls back into the "scream and run around madly" school of plot development, and the ending, which gives HUGE hints of the sequels to follow, is weak and highly unlikely.

On the whole...I'd recommend leaving this one in the bargain bin where you're likely to find it. It's not the worst I've seen, but there's much left to be desired here.

Yours until I get that letter inviting me to join the cast of "Scooby Doo 2"

Hugh U. Kidden

This was my entry into the Summer Solstice Write-Off hosted by Bluehawq, and reflecting a summer theme. Please check out http://summersolstice.abrco.com/ for a list of the other fine participants.

Viewing Format: DVD
Video Occasion: Better than Watching TV
Suitability For Children: Not suitable for Children of any age

I Know What You Did Last Summer 74 Success Secrets - 74 Most Asked Questions On ... eBook

Buy I Know What You Did Last Summer 74 Success Secrets - 74 Most Asked Questions On I Know What You Did Last Summer - What You Need To Know by Larry ...
Kobo eBooks

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Four teenagers try to conceal their responsibility for a hit-and-run accident while being pursued by a mystery figure seeking revenge.
I Know What You Did Last Supper eBook

I Know What You Did Last Supper eBook

Buy I Know What You Did Last Supper by Darren Allan, Wayne Williams and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks...
Kobo eBooks